Pilgrim

What do you think of this?

5 posts in this topic

I am seriously considering to go to Plum Village, a monastery in France, for 2 years. 

I know it's an extreme step, that's why I want to be sure. 

Ultimately, I don't really care about the "real world". I have tried to fit into normality for such a long time. But something is missing, it's quite unfulfilling most of the time. It's like a void that is following me everywhere and I know that only connecting to myself and being will heal this eventually. But in everyday life I cannot integrate this in the extend I need to. I am not someone who is losing in life (externally at least), but in the end I feel pretty unhappy. I am hoping to find this deep connection I am longing for. I just want to make sure I am not running away from life.  

What do you think?

I can relate. Does it feel like most shit people that people care about and things even you cared about are pretty empty as well? I'm considering the same thing actually.

@Pilgrim if you don't have to work to feed anyone (aka have children), then do it.

when it's about living the life of a monk, the fear of running away is actually a facet of attachment. it's the ego structure screaming "I AM NOT A LOSER. I DO NOT RESIGN".

Edited by ajasatya

unborn Truth

1 hour ago, Pilgrim said:

I just want to make sure I am not running away from life.  

You'll probably never really know.

From my biased perspective, it seems like an unnecessarily extreme move. It's not like you move to a monestary and that void feeling goes away. No, it just comes with you to the monestary.

The only real benefit I see from doing something like that is you'll have more time to specifically devote to formal spiritual practices. That is a potential real gain. But I'd argue you could get more or less the same results without having to do that.

Read the monk memoir on the booklist in the consciousness and enlightenment section.

I think this is a good idea for you but also understand that this action needs to be fueled by a positive motivation. That doesn’t mean there won’t be fear but you “yearn for God” and are willing to surrender everything. @ajasatya said it best about the ego relenting at the end of his post. Don’t do this for escapism and also build momentum into this. Also, being a monk doesn’t necessarily mean go live in a monastery. It may mean that but you can be in Zen for example where you can actually leave the monastery eventually to do your own thing. Or you live in a cave and take the vows of say a Tantrik yogi/monk who may or may not have a guru and pursue hardcore full enlightenment until you have been permeated by God in your psyche, actions, and body and then return to the world and start say a healthy spiritual community like that I’d say Sat Yoga in Costa Rica run by Shunyamurti that has a wisdom school, an ashram, runs retreats, etc. which demands enlightened leadership (which does take money) or you may decide to not return to the material world and live in a hut like Zen Master and famous poet Ryōkan. Or you may have a tiny ashram somewhere.