lmfao

Low consciousness muscle contractions during meditation. Explanations/advice?

7 posts in this topic

I've made a thread about this a long time ago, but I still have this problem. Any time I meditate I experiences waves of irritation and annoyance which express themselves as subconcious muscle contractions. The urges feel very much out of my control and happen any time I meditate. I common experience I have is squeezing both my arms and fists at the same time. Or I'll squeeze my facial muscles. I think these movements are just the result of my ego and body fighting back against letting go. At other times I might just keep swaying my head, but then I might become mindful of me fighting back and I slowly snap out of it. Does anybody else have this experience? 

Whenever I you meditate there's always this paradox between being forceful and not being forceful so I just wonder what the right approach is for me when I get the urges to tense muscles. If I choose to not act on the strong urges for muscle contractions, my mind goes crazy for some reason. Should I "force" myself to not move and be try to be mindful of the intense feelings? Should I just let whatever happens happens and just observe it? 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

This is very common. Chances are, you have a lot of pent-up energy in your body. 

Osho talks a lot about this: https://www.osho.com/meditate/meditation-tool-kit/questions-about-meditation/is-it-good-to-start-with-a-sitting-meditation-or-an-active-meditation 

12 minutes ago, lmfao said:

Should I "force" myself to not move and be try to be mindful of the intense feelings? Should I just let whatever happens happens and just observe it? 

I think you should switch to a different practice, something that you actually use your body. 

@Gabriel Antonio Nice link. I've been doing meditation for a while now so I ain't gonna stop it although I should do kriya yoga or something. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

If it were me, I would power through the urge to tighten up. It will obviously feel very unnatural, and I'm sure your ego will be pissed off at you. You'll have to do it many times before it becomes your default to NOT tighten up your muscles, but you're stuck in a dysfunctional loop right now and you have to transcend it. To me it sounds like a hurdle that a person would have to get over if they wanted to progress in their meditation practice.

@lmfao I have a ton of experience with this and experimented with different approaches.

Letting these come will make the Resistance out but won't give a clue where these come from.

Try forcing yourself not to move and feel into it. I have gone on "inner journeys" from these and more than likely you will understand what is surfacing.

Also, do research on kriyas.

Spirituality is any movement towards the Unnamable. Everything is spiritual.

The only true way out Resistance is going into it because any way out of it is staying in it.

The purest life possible is surrendering to the Absolute.

You need hardcore meditation to escape blockages patterns. 

Is more, you need an awakening and losing your mind first, going insane and come back to really conquer the subconscious. 

Edited by Hellspeed

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

@Gabriel Antonio I found this paragraph interesting from the link:

" If you make a sincere effort to 'just sit,' you may really go insane. Only because people do not really try sincerely does insanity not happen more often. With a sitting posture you begin to know so much madness inside you that if you are sincere and continue it, you may really go insane. It has happened before, so many times; so I never suggest anything that can create frustration, depression, sadness ¯ anything that will allow you to be too aware of your insanity. You may not be ready to be aware of all the insanity that is inside you; you must be allowed to get to know certain things gradually. Knowledge is not always good; it must unfold itself slowly as your capacity to absorb it grows. " 

If you go too hard with enlightenment work there are homeostasis mechanisms in place which will bite hard. What is good about meditation is that it gives you an insight into just how insane your mind is. It makes you realise that despite the fact that you are sitting down with nothing external acting upon you, your mind alone is great enough to create a very deep conscious experience. There have been times where I've finished meditating and thought "damn I can't believe that was all just inside of my head".

@Hellspeed @Torkys @PsiloPutty yes