ULFBERHT

Frustrated With My Concentration Practice

8 posts in this topic

I've sat down, set a timer, and tried to concentrate for over 60 days in a row now. Yay for me building good habits!

The problem is I haven't even had one taste of access concentration yet. I've mainly been trying to focus on  a mantra, but in sessions where even that seems too difficult, I've tried to focus simply on  my breath. I won't give up my hard-won habit, but I'm frustrated with my lack of progress.

Tips? Tricks? Advice? Encouragement? I've watched Leo's video in the past, but the details are not fresh in my mind. I will be returning to it.

"Teach thy tongue to say 'I do not know', and thou shalt progress." - Maimonides

Perhaps try concentrating on different objects. 

Have you been closing your eyes during this concentration work? I’ve had meditations that felt super unfocused, but when I opened my eyes I became much more present. 

Maybe focusing on an object in your visual field and appreciating the raw existence of it? You can at times experience an immediate shift in awareness when you do this. Or the entire visual field itself. 

Also binaural beats and isochronic tones are great. 

“Curiosity killed the cat.”

@ULFBERHT

A) It ain't easy. Takes lots of practice.

B) Start small. 60 mins is too long. You need quality, not quantity. Try doing 5 minutes of laser focused concentration, like a hawk. Do that for a whole month, then move up to 10 mins, and so on.

C) Being addicted to media and smart phone kills your concentration. Realistically you need to disconnect a lot. You're not gonna hit access concentration while binging on YT videos and dicking around on Facebook.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Thank you both for answering. I feel like I know the answer already, but I'll ask anyway: how much is my lack of concentration a function of the object i'm focusing on? That is, can I not concentrate because I haven't chosen an object that works for me, or is my concentration just shitty right now, regardless of what I'm trying to focus on? I feel like it's the latter, but I'll avoid wasting my time on a technique that isn't good for me if I can.

@Leo Gura

"Teach thy tongue to say 'I do not know', and thou shalt progress." - Maimonides

2 hours ago, ULFBERHT said:

Thank you both for answering. I feel like I know the answer already, but I'll ask anyway: how much is my lack of concentration a function of the object i'm focusing on? That is, can I not concentrate because I haven't chosen an object that works for me, or is my concentration just shitty right now, regardless of what I'm trying to focus on? I feel like it's the latter, but I'll avoid wasting my time on a technique that isn't good for me if I can.

@Leo Gura

What is your goal, what are you looking for to begin with? 

Edited by Mu_

Too much Mind, too little Heart. The deepest levels of concentration are gentle, soft, and relaxed; where you do not control anything, but just observe one simple thing.

Feel your hearts embrace of this moment of existence, and your love will awaken in everything you perceive ❤️ 

@ULFBERHT The object does not matter much. Focus is a general skill. If you can focus on one thing, you can focus on another. And if you can't focus, you can't focus on anything. The mind jumps around and it makes excuses for why it's good to jump around. Which is why you have not settled on a concentration target. The mind just does not want to.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura I figured. Thanks.