aurum

Spiritual Autolysis

33 posts in this topic

So my favorite book on Enlightenment has been Spiritual Enlightenment: The Damndest Thing by Jed McKenna. In it he describes a technique for reaching Enlightenment called "spiritual autolysis". To quote the book:

"Here's all you need to know to become enlightened:

Sit down,
shut up,
and ask yourself what's true until you know.

That's it. That's the whole deal - a complete teaching of enlightenment, a complete practice. If you ever have any questions or problems - no matter what the question or problem is - the answer is always exactly the same:

Sit down, shut up, and ask yourself what's true until you know."

He goes onto explain that therefore the process of Spiritual Autolysis is to attempt to write the Truth. Pick any belief you have, write it down, and then rewrite it in till it's True. Not truthish, but True.

I've been experimenting with this for a little bit and I think it's brilliant. Goes right along with what Leo was saying in "All Humanity's Knowledge" video about destroying you knowledge graph and seeing what's left. Because you'll never be able to write the Truth.

Anyone else use this technique? Curious what other people's experiences have been. As much as I like meditation I don't find it direct enough in terms of achieving Enlightenment, although I do still practice it.

Yes, SA helped me boatloads with destroying several hidden beliefs I normally didn't find during sitting contemplation work. 

Because nothing you write is true, you expose all of your bull---- by writing what you think is true. Then, you can dissect why you think it is true, and you'll end up with a baseline assumption. The answers you're looking for are not the answers to any questions you have about reality; they are what's left after you destroy the question. 

A spin-off of SA that helped me was playing my own invented game called 'Spot the Assumption!' Here's how it works:

-Write down any question you have about reality, or any statement you think is true. 

-Look within the question/statement for the assumption. There is always at least one.

-Examine that assumption, and see if it sits on top of any other assumptions.

-Eventually, you'll hit a baseline assumption. Examine it enough, and it will disappear as if it never was. 

Here's a classic example:

Question: What is the meaning of life?

Assumption: Life has meaning. What is meaning? It's an interpretation we place onto what's actually there. What is an interpretation? It's a concept. What's a concept? A mental construct. Where is the reality of the mental construct? In the mind. What is the mind? Thought sensations. What's actually there are thought sensations. The gravitational pull of certain thought sensations over others is meaning. But thoughts are just thoughts; they're just there. The meaning itself is non-existent. Meaning is an illusion. Like the content of a movie, when there's only just light on a screen.

You can go on and on with these inquiries. Just ask any deep question you have about life and figure out why the question has no validity, or write a statement you think is true, and figure out why it's not. 

Hope that helps!

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov

1 hour ago, jjer94 said:

Yes, SA helped me boatloads with destroying several hidden beliefs I normally didn't find during sitting contemplation work. 

Because nothing you write is true, you expose all of your bull---- by writing what you think is true. Then, you can dissect why you think it is true, and you'll end up with a baseline assumption. The answers you're looking for are not the answers to any questions you have about reality; they are what's left after you destroy the question. 

A spin-off of SA that helped me was playing my own invented game called 'Spot the Assumption!' Here's how it works:

-Write down any question you have about reality, or any statement you think is true. 

-Look within the question/statement for the assumption. There is always at least one.

-Examine that assumption, and see if it sits on top of any other assumptions.

-Eventually, you'll hit a baseline assumption. Examine it enough, and it will disappear as if it never was. 

Here's a classic example:

Question: What is the meaning of life?

Assumption: Life has meaning. What is meaning? It's an interpretation we place onto what's actually there. What is an interpretation? It's a concept. What's a concept? A mental construct. Where is the reality of the mental construct? In the mind. What is the mind? Thought sensations. What's actually there are thought sensations. The gravitational pull of certain thought sensations over others is meaning. But thoughts are just thoughts; they're just there. The meaning itself is non-existent. Meaning is an illusion. Like the content of a movie, when there's only just light on a screen.

You can go on and on with these inquiries. Just ask any deep question you have about life and figure out why the question has no validity, or write a statement you think is true, and figure out why it's not. 

Hope that helps!

Yes that was my basic interpretation as well. The hard part seems to be, as you said, to not look for an answer. Our minds are always trying to do that. Even saying "x is wrong/false" would be just another belief. The point is that there is no answer. You can't truly know anything as long as you're conceptualizing.

Have you continued using SA? If it really works then there seems no reason to stop in till there's nothing left. Did you find it emotionally disturbing as described in the books?

I've been considering using SA in addition to meditative practice. What I'm wondering is, what are your experiences as to the amount of time required to actually hack away an assumption? Judging by the stories of Mckenna and the girl in the second book, it would take thousands of hours to destroy enough to become truth-realized, comparable to the time it takes to get enlightened through meditation and self-inquiry.

On one hand, meditation has the huge benefit of mindfulness. On the other hand, autolysis has the huge benefit of taking care of a lot of bullshit in your system. A person who had an enlightenment experience through meditation alone will likely still have a lot of neurotic tendencies, habits and beliefs to work through. A person who had an enlightenment experience through autolysis alone would have cleared out the bs but wouldn't be as mindful. McKenna described how he had difficulty meditating washing the dishes. 

Edited by Markus

Have you continued using SA? If it really works then there seems no reason to stop in till there's nothing left. Did you find it emotionally disturbing as described in the books?

As Jed said in his books, once you use the sword of intellect to cut through everything that needs cutting, you don't feel the need to do SA anymore; you're just Done. Done, as in, all of your assumptions about what reality is are destroyed, and what's left is something you can discover in something like sitting contemplation. Yes, the process of seeing through your own worldview can be emotionally disturbing at times, but it's not like that worldview ever had any existence to begin with. And of course it's okay to still have that worldview when operating in everyday life. It's just that you see it as illusory.

What I've found is that, yes, you can be absolutely Done with figuring out Truth, but you're hardly ever Done with seeing through the character you play. I've found that SA in the form of uncovering my own psychological hang-ups has been very useful alongside contemplation. That form of SA operates more like journal entries. Just examine any emotions that cause you suffering during the day, and try to get to the bottom-line assumption(s) that fuels it. You can do that before and after becoming conscious of your True nature. I've actually found it to be more useful after the fact.

—Arthur Janov

15 minutes ago, jjer94 said:

As Jed said in his books, once you use the sword of intellect to cut through everything that needs cutting, you don't feel the need to do SA anymore; you're just Done. Done, as in, all of your assumptions about what reality is are destroyed, and what's left is something you can discover in something like sitting contemplation. Yes, the process of seeing through your own worldview can be emotionally disturbing at times, but it's not like that worldview ever had any existence to begin with. And of course it's okay to still have that worldview when operating in everyday life. It's just that you see it as illusory.

What I've found is that, yes, you can be absolutely Done with figuring out Truth, but you're hardly ever Done with seeing through the character you play. I've found that SA in the form of uncovering my own psychological hang-ups has been very useful alongside contemplation. That form of SA operates more like journal entries. Just examine any emotions that cause you suffering during the day, and try to get to the bottom-line assumption(s) that fuels it. You can do that before and after becoming conscious of your True nature. I've actually found it to be more useful after the fact.

Would you say it is more useful after the fact because you cling less to your ego and the knot you have to untangle is thus looser?

1 hour ago, Markus said:

I've been considering using SA in addition to meditative practice. What I'm wondering is, what are your experiences as to the amount of time required to actually hack away an assumption? Judging by the stories of Mckenna and the girl in the second book, it would take thousands of hours to destroy enough to become truth-realized, comparable to the time it takes to get enlightened through meditation and self-inquiry.

On one hand, meditation has the huge benefit of mindfulness. On the other hand, autolysis has the huge benefit of taking care of a lot of bullshit in your system. A person who had an enlightenment experience through meditation alone will likely still have a lot of neurotic tendencies, habits and beliefs to work through. A person who had an enlightenment experience through autolysis alone would have cleared out the bs but wouldn't be as mindful. McKenna described how he had difficulty meditating washing the dishes. 

As far as time spent, Jed claims the process takes around 2 years of serious work. I can only speculate but I wouldn't be surprised if that's correct. Destroying beliefs is a tough process but it can be done given someone puts in the time.

I also would imagine that Enlightenment through SA would leave you just as mindful. What is being mindful but seeing reality as it is? Julie, the girl from the 2nd book, points out that she "never vows to think again" as she sees it as a disgusting habit.

That being said I see no reason why it has to be "either or". Why not combine mindfulness with SA? This is what I'm currently doing.

Would you say it is more useful after the fact because you cling less to your ego and the knot you have to untangle is thus looser?

Yes, very much so. Imagine that your whole life, you've had your foot on the accelerator of a car. Then, you realize that somehow having your foot there made you suffer immensely, and from seeing that, you put your foot off the accelerator. Even after you do that, the car will still have some momentum. That's kind of what post-awakening is like. You destroy your worldview in the blink of an eye, but your body still has boatloads of psychological conditioning from that worldview. There are still psychological hang-ups, but they're much easier to deal with now that you see that your worldview is illusory. 

—Arthur Janov

1 hour ago, Pinocchio said:

Don't be too easy about not looking for answers. You have questions, and you can do one of two things about them: Ignore them or look for answers.

Yes there are no answers, but the only way to find out is to try to find out. If there is something unresolved in your mind, the point is to address it as honestly as you can, not to dismiss it! Dismissing it is what everyone does all the time, and is certain to keep your head in the sand.

Because all this unaddressed crap in your mind is what distorts perception. It doesn't even matter whether something is true or not, what matters is finding out what your experience of life consists of. Note that S/A is about attempting to write what's true, not about skipping the entire process. If something you think or say or write seems true to you, then you should look into it. Including (and especially) everything you write on this forum.

Self-inquiry is not relegated to a schedule or a certain time of day. You're either doing it or you're not, and if you're doing it, you're doing it with everything, all the time. That's the difference between a casual hobby and a suicidal drive to know. If this stuff is not taking over your entire life, you're not doing it.

There are no shortcuts here. As long as you need to tell yourself that there are no answers, then that is your answer to everything. Just another delusion, just another instance of auto-hypnosis. When you know there are no answers, you won't be telling yourself a damn thing, because there would be nobody to talk to and nothing to talk about.

If you're deceiving yourself about your own internal state, you're in deep trouble for sure.

Yes this is a good point. Everyone has to do the math for themselves.

1 minute ago, aurum said:

As far as time spent, Jed claims the process takes around 2 years of serious work. I can only speculate but I wouldn't be surprised if that's correct. Destroying beliefs is a tough process but it can be done given someone puts in the time.

I also would imagine that Enlightenment through SA would leave you just as mindful. What is being mindful but seeing reality as it is? Julie, the girl from the 2nd book, points out that she "never vows to think again" as she sees it as a disgusting habit.

That being said I see no reason why it has to be "either or". Why not combine mindfulness with SA? This is what I'm currently doing.

My understanding is that meditation builds mindfulness to see through the bullshit, while autolysis gets the bullshit out of the way. Either way you see what lies beyond. I just presume mindfulness is a skill that needs to be cultivated rather than something that naturally comes with enlightenment. Shinzen Young at least has said that most ordinary people who have spontaneous enlightenment experiences lose them as they don't have enough awareness to understand.

17 minutes ago, jjer94 said:

Yes, very much so. Imagine that your whole life, you've had your foot on the accelerator of a car. Then, you realize that somehow having your foot there made you suffer immensely, and from seeing that, you put your foot off the accelerator. Even after you do that, the car will still have some momentum. That's kind of what post-awakening is like. You destroy your worldview in the blink of an eye, but your body still has boatloads of psychological conditioning from that worldview. There are still psychological hang-ups, but they're much easier to deal with now that you see that your worldview is illusory. 

That's good to hear because that's what I've been assuming. I would put my effort into building mindfulness and having an enlightenment first, then deal with beliefs and the shadow. As long as I'm psychologically capable enough to keep doing enlightenment work, I don't see the problem with that approach.

If you don't mind me asking, for how long have you been doing this? I'm perhaps too curious about how long it took other people to attain enlightenment.

Edited by Markus
Adding a question for the person to whom I replied.

1 hour ago, jjer94 said:
1 hour ago, Markus said:
1 hour ago, jjer94 said:

My understanding is that meditation builds mindfulness to see through the bullshit, while autolysis gets the bullshit out of the way. Either way you see what lies beyond. I just presume mindfulness is a skill that needs to be cultivated rather than something that naturally comes with enlightenment. Shinzen Young at least has said that most ordinary people who have spontaneous enlightenment experiences lose them as they don't have enough awareness to understand.

Interesting perspective. But if you haven't seen through your character, have you really arrived at Truth? The character is false and would still be cutting you off from what IS, i.e reality.

28 minutes ago, Markus said:

That's good to hear because that's what I've been assuming. I would put my effort into building mindfulness and having an enlightenment first, then deal with beliefs and the shadow. As long as I'm psychologically capable enough to keep doing enlightenment work, I don't see the problem with that approach.

If you don't mind me asking, for how long have you been doing this? I'm perhaps too curious about how long it took other people to attain enlightenment.

It's been about a year since I watched Leo's enlightenment video and took the plunge, and it was six months later that I first saw through the veil of self. Then, a string of awakenings led me to a final one a couple days ago. I've been deprogramming in between. 

You're probably looking for some sense of certainty, some projected estimate to give you hope for the future... but for this journey, you need to destroy your hope. Sure, you can get a sense of the task at hand from other's hearsay, but it's really about taking the plunge and not giving a damn how long it takes or how long it took others. As Walt Whitman wrote, "Long have you timidly waded, holding a plank by the shore, Now I will you to be a bold swimmer, To jump off in the midst of the sea, and rise again and nod to me and shout, and laughingly dash with your hair."

—Arthur Janov

Adyashanti has another version of Spiritual Autolysis that's very similar, slightly more structured however. It's in his book called True Meditation - worked for me much better than Jeds version. 

7 hours ago, Ben said:

Adyashanti has another version of Spiritual Autolysis that's very similar, slightly more structured however. It's in his book called True Meditation - worked for me much better than Jeds version. 

I'm familiar with Adyashanti but not this technique. Could you give a brief description?

This definitely seems like a good start. But the way I see it there's more to SA.

Okay, so you're inauthentic. You're a lying, selfish, delusional person like everyone else and that hurts. It hurts to see that everything is ultimately pointless and that life has no meaning.

But that isn't enlightenment. That's more ego, more self-image, more opinions. Only the form has really changed.

So what if you're selfish and inauthentic. Is that "bad"? "Bad" and "good" is just more duality, more illusion. Why do you even care about that if everything is meaningless and only awareness exists? Why do you care if other people are inauthentic?

It isn't even bad to think that something is bad. Hence not even ego is bad, just false.

SA will help you dig deeper. There are more assumptions at play here and as far as I see SA is the process which you find them and hopefully see through them.

Hello to all of you guys! I can provide some help to this forum and motivate myself into taking more action in my own life by doing that as well.

I struggled to understand what spiritual autolysis is and couldn't wrap my head around this concept at all. I tried to do it but it was just as you guys described. As I progress my opinion will probably change but this is what I see now.

Full clarity came after watching Leo Pickup Rant video. This is actually why I'm here in the first place. Yes, I was PUA with success and hopes to be successful in it as well in anything else. After I understood how inauthentic I was with my desires towards women I just bursted open. I had emotional breakdown which last to this day, though since a few days I see myself falling back to old ways with new understanding and permanent changes in my way of thinking and seeing things.

This is simple conclusion I came to: you can't do spiritual autolysis without spending your discontent.

Dissecting sentences to see all premises and falsify them etc. is a joke. This will never get you anywhere. You will be just spinning your wheels like meditation does for many. What's important is to find that one question, which will expose your inauthenticity in actions you are going to do/did/are doing. Basically what occupies your awareness most of the time.

For me it was growth, business, dating and relationships, friends, family, travelling, masculinity, spirituality, hobbies and more and more. Now I had very specific goals for each of those and I was attaining them consistently. I'm moving forward, upward spiral etc etc and it's is all good, until this moment.

Until the moment where I realize that I was bullshiting myself for the reason why I want to do those things. This is really PAINFUL. It's like spotting your spouse cheating, although I never was cheated on but can imagine. You see it very clearly. Sooooo many hours wasted watching videos, going to clubs, working on stuff to actualize, build business, calendars, The Secret Weapon, plans, scheduled dates, dreams etc.

And why? <place for your spiritual autolysis :)>

SA is a way to expose this inauthentic behavior, not only in us but in EVERYONE. Every person you look up to, including beloved gurus. You destroy them. Totally break up with them until you feel alone. Until you see reality of things - that the only thing we really have is your awareness. The only thing. No matter where you will be, no matter how many people you will meet, not matter how greatly you will self-actualize the only thing you will have is your awareness. And everything is UTTERLY POINTLESS.

You do that until you will see that what you wrote seems obvious. You will notice that you are much more present and acting totally different. For me I stopped noticing differences between people and they all seemed ignorant etc. And now I see different perspective and a lot of what I wrote, even if I still agree with it, is totally over the line. Now my perspective is richer and the question becomes obsolete. Now I move on and waiting for the next pile of shit to appear and will do the same thing, the same thing on and on until I am done. I don't believe it will lead to my enlightenment but to simply happy life - Spiritual Adulthood as Mckenna say it.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I believe in order to do SA properly you need to have very sophisticated intellectual framework because otherwise you won't find out what question to ask and how to make it obsolete. You need to exert so amount of energy that your life can go to ruin. You need to put yourself into situations seriously like being homeless, going to india, committing suicide etc. That type of thinking cuts through layers of delusion deeper so you can remove them faster.

I also encourage to read Spiritually Incorrect where this process is more exposed (I read that few days ago).

Edited 16 minutes ago by mkieblesz

As a poet I have to agree.   Most of the authentic work I do is just that, writing about my in-authenticity.   It IS painful to be mindful, aware,  flowing as one within the Universal flow and then "Whack" here's a nasty little mirror image of your intentions that are impure.  "Ouch", small ego death.   That said, that pain seems much easier to cope with than the avoidance of it.   I have found my social media sites are like a glaring mirror for those very inauthenticities in addition to my writing.   Every writer always knows you are writing to you as much as you may think you are writing to someone else so read backwards. LOL 

It actually hit me this weekend...why am I doing all this?  Why am I building this virtual reality sit and spin life when I could be having fun, creating in my real life space.  Where did I lose me?  When did my inner toddler start ruling my adult?  I had to examine some unpleasant truths, but now I can choose to bring those into my awareness and work to correct them.  

Today I was able to radically change my behavior.  When I woke up at three rather than going to social media I went to Coursera and the creativity class.  I wrote.  I went back to sleep.  Than I came here rather than going to social media.  I may read  a book, I may write, I may ignore social media all day today.  To whom do I owe what, when and and why?  I really agree it does seem to feel like a growing up process.  Perhaps  trauma gets us stuck in a early development cognition pattern?  Any thoughts? 

1 hour ago, Kelley White said:

Hello to all of you guys! I can provide some help to this forum and motivate myself into taking more action in my own life by doing that as well.

I struggled to understand what spiritual autolysis is and couldn't wrap my head around this concept at all. I tried to do it but it was just as you guys described. As I progress my opinion will probably change but this is what I see now.

Full clarity came after watching Leo Pickup Rant video. This is actually why I'm here in the first place. Yes, I was PUA with success and hopes to be successful in it as well in anything else. After I understood how inauthentic I was with my desires towards women I just bursted open. I had emotional breakdown which last to this day, though since a few days I see myself falling back to old ways with new understanding and permanent changes in my way of thinking and seeing things.

This is simple conclusion I came to: you can't do spiritual autolysis without spending your discontent.

Dissecting sentences to see all premises and falsify them etc. is a joke. This will never get you anywhere. You will be just spinning your wheels like meditation does for many. What's important is to find that one question, which will expose your inauthenticity in actions you are going to do/did/are doing. Basically what occupies your awareness most of the time.

For me it was growth, business, dating and relationships, friends, family, travelling, masculinity, spirituality, hobbies and more and more. Now I had very specific goals for each of those and I was attaining them consistently. I'm moving forward, upward spiral etc etc and it's is all good, until this moment.

Until the moment where I realize that I was bullshiting myself for the reason why I want to do those things. This is really PAINFUL. It's like spotting your spouse cheating, although I never was cheated on but can imagine. You see it very clearly. Sooooo many hours wasted watching videos, going to clubs, working on stuff to actualize, build business, calendars, The Secret Weapon, plans, scheduled dates, dreams etc.

And why? <place for your spiritual autolysis :)>

SA is a way to expose this inauthentic behavior, not only in us but in EVERYONE. Every person you look up to, including beloved gurus. You destroy them. Totally break up with them until you feel alone. Until you see reality of things - that the only thing we really have is your awareness. The only thing. No matter where you will be, no matter how many people you will meet, not matter how greatly you will self-actualize the only thing you will have is your awareness. And everything is UTTERLY POINTLESS.

You do that until you will see that what you wrote seems obvious. You will notice that you are much more present and acting totally different. For me I stopped noticing differences between people and they all seemed ignorant etc. And now I see different perspective and a lot of what I wrote, even if I still agree with it, is totally over the line. Now my perspective is richer and the question becomes obsolete. Now I move on and waiting for the next pile of shit to appear and will do the same thing, the same thing on and on until I am done. I don't believe it will lead to my enlightenment but to simply happy life - Spiritual Adulthood as Mckenna say it.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I believe in order to do SA properly you need to have very sophisticated intellectual framework because otherwise you won't find out what question to ask and how to make it obsolete. You need to exert so amount of energy that your life can go to ruin. You need to put yourself into situations seriously like being homeless, going to india, committing suicide etc. That type of thinking cuts through layers of delusion deeper so you can remove them faster.

I also encourage to read Spiritually Incorrect where this process is more exposed (I read that few days ago).

Edited 16 minutes ago by mkieblesz

As a poet I have to agree.   Most of the authentic work I do is just that, writing about my in-authenticity.   It IS painful to be mindful, aware,  flowing as one within the Universal flow and then "Whack" here's a nasty little mirror image of your intentions that are impure.  "Ouch", small ego death.   That said, that pain seems much easier to cope with than the avoidance of it.   I have found my social media sites are like a glaring mirror for those very inauthenticities in addition to my writing.   Every writer always knows you are writing to you as much as you may think you are writing to someone else so read backwards. LOL 

It actually hit me this weekend...why am I doing all this?  Why am I building this virtual reality sit and spin life when I could be having fun, creating in my real life space.  Where did I lose me?  When did my inner toddler start ruling my adult?  I had to examine some unpleasant truths, but now I can choose to bring those into my awareness and work to correct them.  

Today I was able to radically change my behavior.  When I woke up at three rather than going to social media I went to Coursera and the creativity class.  I wrote.  I went back to sleep.  Than I came here rather than going to social media.  I may read  a book, I may write, I may ignore social media all day today.  To whom do I owe what, when and and why?  I really agree it does seem to feel like a growing up process.  Perhaps  trauma gets us stuck in a early development cognition pattern?  Any thoughts? 

Sounds like you may be coming into what Jed calls Human Adulthood.

Thank you for sharing this technique! I think it is of that kind that Leo also was talking about. Just sit down and contemplate.

1 hour ago, Coach Vito said:

Thank you for sharing this technique! I think it is of that kind that Leo also was talking about. Just sit down and contemplate.

No problem