ROOBIO

Veterinarian - wage slave?

10 posts in this topic

Are veterinarians giving a meaningful impact to society and biodiversity? 

Is becoming a veterinarian a valid life purpose?

Is saving wildlife via veterinarian good work even if you work for gov organisations?

Edited by ROOBIO

As it is hardly possible to avoid the system you have to choose the way you want to be the part of it. I would say being a vet is not the worst way to do it ;) You may choose to do it in the most conscious way and to be the most independent e.g. not doing research for big food companies but indeed focusing on animal welfare or whatever your dream is. Just do it the way that they don't write the terms how you work and live. That's how I see it anyway.

@YaMayka thanks for the input. Yeah, I wouldn't want to work for food companies. I think my goal is to use veterinary medicine and apply that to save endangered species.

Have you escaped wage slavery?

1 hour ago, ROOBIO said:

@YaMayka thanks for the input. Yeah, I wouldn't want to work for food companies. I think my goal is to use veterinary medicine and apply that to save endangered species.

Have you escaped wage slavery?

I'm excited for you even just reading this :D If you haven't, take the life purpose course it's really good and I hope you will be more sure. But to me that sounds like an unique and cool life purpose! 

@ROOBIO i highly recommend that you drop the need for external validation.

you gotta feel that you're living the dream life, otherwise it won't work. what you feel is what matters.

unborn Truth

I agree with ajasatya.  It is not the career-choice that matters, but more so, your relationship to that career-choice.  

I am a veterinarian.  Consider me a resource if you have questions you think I may be able to help with. 

7 hours ago, ajasatya said:

@ROOBIO i highly recommend that you drop the need for external validation.

you gotta feel that you're living the dream life, otherwise it won't work. what you feel is what matters.

Hands down working with animals give me the most joy. I love them and being around them. So far I have done countless off unpaid volunteering work with animals, I am not getting paid and I still love the work. So regardless I want to work with animals.

The question to me that came to mind is "am I still being a wage slave" by just becoming a small animal vet and working for big cooperations. I want to achieve meaningful work through this. So Leos video led me to push for ways to reach out and do more meaningful work. I think that using vet medicine to save wildlife who are on the brink of extinction is a good way.

I want to be in the field, living in the bush save animal populations. Seeing how human interaction is diminishing the populations' health.

@exhale Do you think being a vet still under wage slave? what vet work do you do?

@ROOBIO The more important question is: do you find it meaningful? Are you passionate about it?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@ROOBIO I am a total wage slave doing meaningless work for a big government institution (a nightmare for the 16 y.o. me ;)). So I do aprreciate when somebody else finds a passion. I have had many short lived passions and now I am stuck. Good luck with your journey :)

@ROOBIO

I am going to avoid using the term wage slave, as it is the buzzword of the week, and I find it poorly defined and confusing. 

What I will say is, I know some veterinarians where their work is absolutely in line with their core values, and I know many where it is just a job (punching the clock, dispassionate, overworked/burned out, working for a corporate structure).  

I don't necessarily want to broadcast my sub-discipline that I am in (to maintain my anonymity, as there are not many of us).  Though, after several years in general practice, I developed a discontent perspective towards my career choice, and I was thinking about a career-change.  Then, I was so fortunate to have stumbled across a sub-discipline within veterinarian medicine that recharged my batteries.  I now find myself in the final year of my residency pursuing specialization in this sub-discipline.  

I am so incredibly passionate about what I get to do everyday, I literally have the opportunity to cure silent suffering every day.  I absolutely feel like I make the world a better place to live in for my patients, and the vast majority of my clients.  This is incredibly fulfilling, and I am able to make a comfortable living doing this.

I love my career.  But, I didn't before, because I had not found my niche where I provide high value for my clients.  Many veterinarians do not love their career.  You need a niche/specialty.  Most veterinarians are "jack of all trades" and this ultimately ends with lower career satisfaction (in my opinion). 

If/when I become financially independent (without the need to work for a living), I would continue to do this work in a volunteer capacity.  (Not five days a week though :P  ).  I would not say the same about my role as a general practitioner.  

I think you should perform some more research on your interest of "saving wildlife and endangered species".  Although a veterinarian can absolutely play a role in this capacity, I don't see them as being a big player in this field.  

With respect to saving wildlife/endangered species, it depends on what you mean by this.  

With respect to wildlife: 

- There are wildlife rescues that physically need people to take care of orphan/injured animals.  There is not typically a lot of investment in this world and the majority of the work is volunteer, or low paying, and difficult to make a living.  Though, it can be rewarding, and there is typically a veterinarian involved with the oversight of some larger wildlife rescues.  

-WIldlife and conservation offices are involved with wildlife conservation.  Although, I suspect a lot of their work is involved with managing people/crowds, and not a ton of direct animal work (relocations, wildlife population surveys).  Nevertheless, this is an important job. 

-There are organizations such as Sea Shepherd, Green Peace, etc.  I have no idea if this can be parlayed in to a career, probably could though.  Or create your own organization about a cause you care about (and make yourself the CEO).

-In a less formal occupation, you could perform some form of art (fundraising, film, documentary, school programs to inspire youth, music) that is geared towards saving wildlife.  

With respect to saving endangered species: 

- There are many zoo veterinarians that are involved with repopulation programs for endangered species.  Do not let my next statement deter you, there are limited job positions of zoo veterinarians, and it is a very long road to get this position.  Just to give you an idea, on the first day of vet school, all the students were asked what they wanted to be when vet school was over.  55% of the class wanted to be zoo veterinarians.  Currently 0% of my classmates are zoo veterinarians.  Though, I do know someone that is working on their residency.  It is possible!  

- As far as formal occupations, I think you would potentially have more direct impact (if you wanted to "live in the bush") as a biologist studying a specific species. 

Admittedly, I do not know about the occupational options for endangered species.  

Here is my take on what Leo is saying in this video.  If you want a career where you are able to live in the bush and protect/save endangered animals.  This job may not exist.  You need to create it.  Perhaps you need to become so knowledgeable about a particular at-risk species that some company/philanthropic organization has not choice but to hire you as their representative.  Or, perhaps you need to be strategic and make yourself financially independent through some other means, that will give you the time and money to pursue this interest on your own (almost as a hobby).  

Good luck my friend.