daniel695

Changing a belief

6 posts in this topic

so i've been thinking about suicide lately for the past couple of days and i believe on of the reasons is that i have the belief "i believe i will be happy when i die" so i did some work by byron katie and changed it to "i wont be happy when i die" now idk if its the belief its self but i got this feeling on my chest and its a weird sensation like a worry tightening sensation. not sure if its because its a change of believe that caused it. to change a belief you also need to change the emotion you attach it to. my question is it okay to have the belief "i wont be happy when i die" if it means you wont commit suicide or get a more neutral belief.   

also what happens when you change a belief? like do you get a sensation in the body or anything like that?

It seems unecessarily complicated doing this..? Sorry if I’m blind and missing something crucial here, but why not strive to dismantle the beliefs altogether instead of just replacing them with new ones? Or maybe I’m just naive thinking one could skip that.

yeah i also think its good to get rid of beliefs all together. what would happen if a person didn't have any beliefs at all?

On 9/10/2018 at 1:53 AM, daniel695 said:

so i've been thinking about suicide lately for the past couple of days and i believe on of the reasons is that i have the belief "i believe i will be happy when i die" so i did some work by byron katie and changed it to "i wont be happy when i die" now idk if its the belief its self but i got this feeling on my chest and its a weird sensation like a worry tightening sensation. not sure if its because its a change of believe that caused it. to change a belief you also need to change the emotion you attach it to. my question is it okay to have the belief "i wont be happy when i die" if it means you wont commit suicide or get a more neutral belief.   

also what happens when you change a belief? like do you get a sensation in the body or anything like that?

Thinking about suicide and having thoughts of it are one thing, lots of people go through this, but aren't serious about doing it, which is a good thing.  You don't sound serious about doing it, another good thing.  Perhaps you should ask yourself what are the things you do like about being a live, and do more of those and dont worry about what it means to have some suicidal thoughts occasionally.  If you are seriously considering and feel a lot of emotion to do so, then call a hotline or seek some help privately or with family, it can open up things.

Edited by Mu_

Suicide is easy. Did you do everything, literally everything possible to raise your happiness levels? If your answer is that no, because it's hard, then do the hard thing. Become the hardest of all. You will not be taken down easy.