Flower

Sociopaths And Narcissists

21 posts in this topic

Since Narcissism and Sociopathy are continually on the rise, It would be great if Leo could do a video on the topic. Are these people capable of becoming enlightened? How can we deal with people who wear a mask of sanity. I know a few sociopaths, some of which are supposedly pursuing self-development and enlightenment, but to what end are they doing it? Are these people capable of being normal and having normal relationships? how can we spot/deal with the socio/pscyopaths in our lives?

'The end of fear is the beginning of all wisdom'

I think this would be a fascinating video topic! Sociopaths and narcissists are fascinating for me to learn about! How do sociopaths and narcissists think, what is their values system, what is their worldview, what is their self-image, and how do they see other people? How are they able to manipulate people? Are sociopaths living life consciously or unconsciously? 

Edited by Zane

All i know is that they they love seeing your reaction as well as feeling that their job is sorted by being the winner in that area by robbing you with their attitudes in which i think you should and foremost don't take it personnaly.

YouTube has good channels about narcissism. Sam Vaknin is a malignant narcissist who speaks from the first person on everything is there to know about narcs and their world. I also learned a lot from YouTube channels 'Understanding Narcissists' and 'Spartan Life Coach'. 

@Flower The only thing that can cure a narcissist is accepting the Lord Jesus Christ into their heart.  

True sociopaths/psychopaths/narcissists are able to fool people to such a degree that it is almost impossible to spot them. They can play any role (e.g. "the victim", "the helper"...) to lure you in. It's hard to have rules how to spot them.

28 minutes ago, Toby said:

True sociopaths/psychopaths/narcissists are able to fool people to such a degree that it is almost impossible to spot them. They can play any role (e.g. "the victim", "the helper"...) to lure you in. It's hard to have rules how to spot them.

There are 2 types of narcissists - overt and covert. The ones you're talking about are covert narcs, they're much harder to spot, but not impossible. Learning how to recognize, deal with, and outplay narcs can be a very handy life skill to have.  

Well, I'm not an expert in that but I guess even overt ones are able to play roles during the "luring-in"-phase. For me learning about this "idealization-devaluation-discarding" pattern was valuable and in retrospective did make a lot of sense. In an encounter with a woman with extreme overt psychopathic/narcissistic/histrionic traits it explained why she initially behaved differently and almost the exact opposite of a narcissist.

3 hours ago, Natasha said:

Learning how to recognize, deal with, and outplay narcs can be a very handy life skill to have.  

There is narcissistic behaviour on this forum.

Victim attention seeking and the white knighting that it is designed to attract.

Two people have contacted me on this forum asking my to psychanalyse their romantic relationship, both of whom I have told to seek professional help for their problems.

One playing the victim/attention seeking role has engaged in toxic name calling via private email while the other (their romantic white knight interest) has now stalked my account in revenge downvoting comments of mine.

Edited by Nomad

Edited by Natasha

11 minutes ago, tinaman said:

I would appreciate a video on this topic.

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

Victim attention seeking and the white knighting that it is designed to attract.

Two people have contacted me on this forum asking my to psychanalyse their romantic relationship, both of whom I have told to seek professional help for their problems.

One playing the victim/attention seeking role has engaged in toxic name calling via private email while the other (their romantic white knight interest) has now stalked my account in revenge downvoting comments of mine.

Victims and white knights will be everywhere, especially on this internet. Might as well get used to it. Since any random person can join this forum.

I dealth with those too, and I honestly believe the white knight has still a good chance to better himself. Sooner or later he is bound to better himself, just be patient. He is self-actualizing after all.

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

Hi Nomad,

You can report the offenders either via the link in the post or by addressing the issue a moderator. 

Narcissists are drama kings and queens and crazy-makers. The best way to make them go away is by cutting off the narcissistic supply they're feeding on, which is your reaction to their actions. Ignore them long enough and the emotional vampires will poof. 

@Natasha this video about covert narcissism was very good. It actually explains why that woman that I knew in one moment acted like a full blown narcissist but then almost looked like an abandoned and hurt child even when someone called me and I picked up the phone and didn't give her my full attention for 5 minutes.

18 hours ago, Nomad said:

@Flower The only thing that can cure a narcissist is accepting the Lord Jesus Christ into their heart.  

Is this a joke? :D

@Natasha  I have watched some of his videos. 

But from my personal experience is that often you cannot really easily tell if someone is a sociopath unless you live with them, or are their partner. When you see enough of them, you begin to see discrepancies between the 'persona' or the self that they have created for themselves and who they really are - often numb, easily bored, fragile and paradoxically egoistic. 

The most difficult thing in a relationship can be, that they tend to 'mirror' you own qualities back to you, but these qualities are not authentically theirs.What you are basically seeing is a created version of yourself. This suits them particularly because it earns your trust quickly, and they know the person they really are is not one which is likeable or socially acceptable. So they have to learn a personality.

It can be scary when they seem to be taking on your traits, because stay with them long enough and you see a really superficial version of authentic traits, such as empathy. 

@Toby

On 26 March 2016 at 10:51 PM, Toby said:

Well, I'm not an expert in that but I guess even overt ones are able to play roles during the "luring-in"-phase. For me learning about this "idealization-devaluation-discarding" pattern was valuable and in retrospective did make a lot of sense. In an encounter with a woman with extreme overt psychopathic/narcissistic/histrionic traits it explained why she initially behaved differently and almost the exact opposite of a narcissist.

Yes! I have experienced this... Idealisation.. Initially they flatter you and say lots of nice things.. all the things you want to hear.. and then when they 'have you' they stop complimenting and often make subtle criticisms to wear away at your self-esteem... the person they do it to is left confused because they don't understand how the person became so cold. Eventually it will end in discard, they will get rid of you if it no longer suits them. BUT if it does suit them to have you ( for emotional support, attention etc) they will NOT let you go, even if they see it is affecting you badly. They will do everything (except let you go-because that would benefit you and not them) to keep you. 

I'm sorry to hear of your experience @Toby, I know how disorientating it can be! and the thing is only people who have been through a similar experience can understand you!

Edited by Flower

On 28 March 2016 at 3:03 PM, Harry said:

Is this a joke? :D

@Guest

Oh dear. lol

The only thing that can get rid of these people, is ignoring them. Not feeding their ego, or giving them attention. That is what they feed off of. Once you no longer make them feel important, they will lose interest in you and find another target who does provide the supply they need. 

Of course, you can always ask Jesus for help ;) 

Edited by Flower

Hello, 

this book covers the topic very well:

Kind regards, 
Chris