AnthonyR

On practising more than one meditation technique

9 posts in this topic

Many years ago I used to practice Transcendental Meditation - TM (which uses a mantra), twice a day for 20 mins each (Eyes Closed).  Eventually I got lazy and got caught up in other life issues and stopped meditating completely.  Once a while I would start it up again and then lose focus and give up.  Well guess what? I’ve started meditation again.  This time around I want to stick to it. 

Recently however I came across the Do NothIng - DN meditation technique and decided to give it a try.  The first time I tried it was while sitting on a subway train, with all that noise, people coming and going, the ringing and chiming of the subway doors opening and closing.  All the while I sat staring (eyes open) at the floor of the subway car my eyes kinda out of focus and dazed, and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.  

I now meditate twice a day or more; So in the morning after I wake up, I use the TM technique that I’m familiar with, and then later in the afternoon or in the evening I try the DN technique.  Both 20/25 mins each.

I’d just like to know if there are any upside or downsides to using two different meditation techniques? Or should I just be focused on one technique?  Personally I don’t feel it’s something I need to be concerned about, and using both techniques in the day is fine.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, AnthonyR said:

Thoughts?

This is actually what Im currently doing to. 

I mindfully meditate for 15 minutes in the first half of the day and then in the second half of my day I do 15 minutes of do nothing. 

Personally, I think we should be good. The only thing to really be aware of / watch out for is doing these practices mechanically since we'll be meditating more than once in a day.

To give you a bonus you should add 2 minutes of a concentration practice right before you do any meditation technique (this is what I do). If you procrastinate on doing this cause its more time  that you'll be sitting still than do this, take 2 minutes off your regular meditation practice and make those 2 minutes a concentration practice. 

I would also like to hear the thoughts of you other guys. 

Unless I'm dreaming, I wrote a reply to a question like this just yesterday. Hopefully it wasn't a dream, that might freak me out a little. Anyway yeah, when I sit for an hour meditation, I do the first 10 or 20 minutes as mantra repetition in my head. That empties out my head and for the last 40 minutes I do vipassana. I haven't noticed anything negative about it, but truthfully I have wondered if it's proper or not to do it that way.

19 hours ago, Rinne said:

To give you a bonus you should add 2 minutes of a concentration practice right before you do any meditation technique (this is what I do). If you procrastinate on doing this cause its more time  that you'll be sitting still than do this, take 2 minutes off your regular meditation practice and make those 2 minutes a concentration practice. 

I would also like to hear the thoughts of you other guys. 

Thanks for responding, although I do not understand what you mean by saying to add 2 minutes of concentration practice.  I’m not familiar with that.

19 hours ago, Artaemis said:

Maybe try as many methodologies and entry ways into being as you can in the beginning. When you come across one that fully absorbs you into the present moment master that entry way and you'll have access to all others. 

Agree

On 8/14/2018 at 11:15 PM, Rinne said:

@AnthonyR

Check this video out.

Thanks for Sharing.  I believe its a good practice to learn to focus and concentrate, i do get distracted by thoughts many times.

@AnthonyR Here is one way to meditate...to reach Al fanaa in Sufism, which means death

You can learn more about this path in the following website: karkariya.com

Edited by Empty

On 8/14/2018 at 7:54 AM, PsiloPutty said:

Unless I'm dreaming, I wrote a reply to a question like this just yesterday. Hopefully it wasn't a dream, that might freak me out a little. Anyway yeah, when I sit for an hour meditation, I do the first 10 or 20 minutes as mantra repetition in my head. That empties out my head and for the last 40 minutes I do vipassana. I haven't noticed anything negative about it, but truthfully I have wondered if it's proper or not to do it that way.

I mix strong determination sitting, mindfulness, and focusing consciousness on consciousness(self inquiry).

I start off with mindfulness, then move on to former two, with the same times as you respectively(recently jumped from half hour to while hour.

I also have wondered if this is proper, but I do it because I notice the best results.