Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Electron

Is Becoming A Scientist In Conflict With Getting Enlightened??

8 posts in this topic

I am an aspiring physicist, currently a physics undergrad. I watched Leo's recent video about rationality and I have a massive doubt. I am getting more concerned daily about whether my life purpose is in conflict with me attaining enlightenment. I've never seen or heard about an enlightened physicist. Maybe there is a reason behind that. 

Also, there is a thing Leo did not cover in his video and that is that in professions like science we work with thoughts and take them super seriously. And its not possible to simultaneously be aware of them, because by being aware and seeing them as mere stories we snatch the importance assigned to them, which is crucial to work diligently with them. Why would you think day and night about something if you are aware that the map is not the territory? Why would you want to stay in the matrix and enjoy it fully if you know that there are greater things outside of it? How do you give the same importance to thoughts after you see the beauty that exists beyond the limits of thoughts? And if you cease to value thoughts, how do you become an elite scientist who in a sense is a puppeteer of thoughts. Most scientists confuse map for territory but I think they need to, to associate importance to their work. Leo, said himself that after you become aware you don't really care about thoughts. So if you are in a profession that requires you to care, is it also required as a consequence to not be aware?

Edited by Electron

I am not sure it is necessary to mistake that map as the territory per se, but in the same vein, I do think it is important to be deeply engaged in thought. I share the same sentiment and wonder if one of these paths is indeed antithetical to the other. Moreover, there's the issue of opportunity cost. Since one way of life requires nearly constant engagement in thought while the other requires detachment, is it even feasible to allocate enough time to both activities?

I am disappointed at the dearth of information on compatibility between intense rationality and enlightenment. Perhaps they are truly not compatible. If that is the case, I wonder whether it would be necessary for some individuals to make the sacrifice and die unaware to fulfill certain societal roles and effectively act as resources while others realize the joy of higher consciousness. Hopefully that is not the case. 

Leo has said other, not yogic/ monastic lifestyles do not have to exclude enlightenment, but there is much to be said on this topic and I think it is definitely worth further discussion. Reconciling the ability to think rationally at the zenith of human performance while simultaneously being at the highest level of awareness is a truly compelling aspiration. Hopefully others agree and we can create more literature and media as to how to go about this. 

@Electron You will still be able to think about these things after enlightenment. Alot of the minds activities will go away but it will only be the me-thoughts. Your mind will be clearer and better used for what it was meant be used for. It will be easier to not cling on to a thought, being able to see different perspectives.

Maybe not a physisist but Sam Harris is a scientist that has awakened.

Here are a few of my favorite physicists that have a deep interest in raising consciousness and combining the two quite well. We really need more open minded physicists like them to advance our civilization through the marriage of physics and consciousness. If you look at the history of physicists, you will be surprised at how open minded they really were. They all had very deep insights into the true nature of reality on all levels. The seen, and the unseen. Proving that to skeptical colleagues on paper was a different story though. Einstein was quoted as saying "I'm not interested in the details, I want to know the mind of god".

Becoming anything is in conflict with enlightenment

Becoming enlightened is not in conflict with anything

I am just finished my undergrad Physics degree and this bothers me as well. I am not sure if I should continue with Physics or find something that A) I am more passionate about

B) Suits more my "enlightenment" goal, if such thing exist ;), I guess a work where practicing mindfulness is easier?

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are made for"    - John A. Shedd