abrakamowse

How Do You Change A Core Belief?

38 posts in this topic

I was just curious about how the users of the forum change a belief.

I watched Teal Swan methods and other in youtube but I would like to know more about what others do to change.

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

I guess the same way as you would deal with a thought, since belief is a construct of thoughts, and thoughts are construct of the ego-mind. 

@Natasha  thanks for your comment. I was asking because I noticed that there's a difference in my opinion about just thinking about changing and changing the belief.

That's why sometimes I struggle with "the secret" , for example, I think that I have lot of money and I try to feel like if I already have it and ... nothing happens Lol

So, that's why I think that it is something deeper that just thinking. You say "construct of thoughts". Maybe there's a difference between that and just thinking about it?

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?

I hardly think it's possible to change a belief without any input or contemplation.

Try to convince yourself that crocodiles can fly.. you mind won't accept it. They same applies to your example of having a lot of money.

@abrakamowse You can't just 'think' money into existence, but you can sit down and figure out ways/ steps (strategy) how to put your thoughts into action, and in time get more money. 

Psychodynamic therapy is one way. But that takes years :( And there are no gguarantees anyway.

There is another way called the Lefkoe Method. 

But it's too intellectual for my tastes, and is quite confusing if you have done therapy because the gist here is that beliefs are created by the subject in childhood in relation to our early experiences. It puts all the responsibility on the self and none of it on the parents behaviours. So there is a danger of deleting beliefs without the benefit of learning the lessons from the experiences.

Then there is also a danger of deleting beliefs that serve good functioning.

The method gets too complicated and also think there is a little bit of "nicking" there which keeps you coming back for more products to undo conditionings etc. Not sure. A lot of these self help products.

At this point there is nothing that compares to a decent long term therapeutic alliance IMO.

11 minutes ago, Jawor said:

I hardly think it's possible to change a belief without any input or contemplation.

Try to convince yourself that crocodiles can fly.. you mind won't accept it. They same applies to your example of having a lot of money.

Maybe I need to give a better explanation...

The problem is that if someone just think that he deserves or can have a lot of money, money won't come by itself. I understand that. But, when you believe (not just think) you believe that you deserve to earn more, or to win more... you go for it, you stop procrastinating and you do whatever is necessary to achieve that goal. And things begin to happen, synchronicity for example, people who helps you achieve your goal, you get promoted, you get more confidence too, etc.

When you just think that you can have a lot of money, your mind sabotages you. That's what is happening to me and I am working on changing that.
:P

@Natasha  Thanks for the input. What I noticed is when you change the belief there's a change at a more deep level, that helps you to take decision to put those thoughts in action. Things happens more like without effort, like some force is guiding you who is not you. In fact it is "us" but we don't identify with it, we identify more with our ego.

It happened to me but in other matters, with other things I wanted to accomplish but somehow I am a bit stuck in the money problem.

:P

Sometimes I think I want to earn money but I sabotage myself unconsciously, procrastinating, don't having enough will force, etc. I don't know if I am making myself clear hehehe...

Edited by abrakamowse

Abundance thinking starts with being frugal. Penny saved is penny earned. Sometimes the best way to make money is to manage well the funds you already have. Simplify, downsize if you need to, cut out junk food, no excess clothes, electronics, furniture, etc., and if you need second income to make ends meet, either get a part-time side job or ask wife to help you out by working too :) 

@Natasha  thanks again... I am working on creating a small company to work freelance and make more money than working for others.

And I was thinking in this hehehe... In John 14:12-14

12"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father. 13"Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14"If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.

@abrakamowse

The first thing to change a limiting belief is to really name it.

What is the limiting belief?

- money is bad

- I don't deserve money

- money makes people arrogant

- spiritual people can let go of the need of money

- you can't serve two masters (god/mammon)

- with money I could become capricious

- my friends/family wouldn't approve of me being a well-to-do

- my family never had much

- all I earn is lost/spent upfront

- ...something other...

Here is a little process you can run on yourself.

The first thing to change a limiting belief is to really name it.

0. Name the limiting belief/thought.

Once you have it named, ask:

1. "What were or are the consequences of having this (belief/thought)?"

Repeat question over and over and view all consequences, until you have the feeling you've seen them all.

Then ask:

2."Connected to this (belief/thought), what would be a more optimum thought or belief?"

Note it down and ask:

3."What could be the the consequences of that more optimum thought?"

Repeat question until no more possible consequences.

If needed repeat 2 and 3 until you feel satisfied with the optimum thought.

This process works really well, but it's important to really name the thing you want to run out and then really run it. (It's not an intelectual thing, but you will see how well it works when you actually do it). Make sure you look at the consequences you have from having this belief. Get all of them or as much as you can until you feel relief. Many insights can come to view aswell.

You can make a list of beliefs connected to an area (in your case obviously money) and then look which of the things on the list draws the most attention. Take this first, run it and go back to your list.

If you have more questions, let me know.

Cheers, 
Chris

1 hour ago, abrakamowse said:

Sometimes I think I want to earn money but I sabotage myself unconsciously, procrastinating, don't having enough will force, etc. I don't know if I am making myself clear hehehe...

I think you're focussing too much on 'money'. Money is really not something you want...you want the things that money represents. Like freedom or power or whatever. Also, i usually never visualize owning anything, but rather experiencing something. For example, owning a Ferrari is not an experience, not an emotion...The 'experience'  can come from really anything. Earning your first dollar can be just as rewarding.

@Isle of View  Thank you very much! Very helpful indeed!

I think some of my problems are "you cannot serve two masters, money and god"

"rich people are bad"

"money makes people bad"

etc...

thanks

:D

First you have to realize you can't destroy matter nor energy in this universe, you can only transmute it. The same goes for your thoughts. If you have a rotten apple in your belief system don't try to destroy the apple, this will only give it more momentum. You need to surround the rotten apple with fresh apples. Now this analogy doesn't make much sense in biology(lol), but bear with me. You need to slowly take away the energy from the rotten apple to more desirable apples.

Now this energy transmission won't ever happen instantly, it will go gradually depending how deep rooted this belief is in your mind. So don't try to avoid the bad thoughts, but try to surround it by good thoughts all day.

Let's say you are going to do something that triggers that bad thought. Before you do, do something that you are sure that makes you very happy. Maybe going for a walk, helping a stranger, hugging your girlfriend/wife, catching up with a friend, something. Now do the same directly afterwards. You need to keep the good feeling going. If you can do this effectively, the bad thoughts automatically change to a belief system which support the more positive thoughts.  

Let me know if it resonates ;)

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

2 minutes ago, David1 said:

I think you're focussing too much on 'money'.

Thanks David, that's a good point

9 minutes ago, abrakamowse said:

@Isle of View  Thank you very much! Very helpful indeed!

I think some of my problems are "you cannot serve two masters, money and god"

"rich people are bad"

"money makes people bad"

etc...

thanks

:D

Very good, 

you can actually run the process on one of those thoughts/beliefs. 

Let me know if you need any help or guidance with it. You can PM me.

~Chris

Edited by Isle of View

3 minutes ago, vizual said:

First you have to realize you can't destroy matter nor energy in this universe, you can only transmute it. The same goes for your thoughts. If you have a rotten apple in your belief system don't try to destroy the apple, this will only give it more momentum. You need to surround the rotten apple with fresh apples. Now this analogy doesn't make much sense in biology(lol), but bear with me. You need to slowly take away the energy from the rotten apple to more desirable apples.

Now this energy transmission won't ever happen instantly, it will go gradually depending how deep rooted this belief is in your mind. So don't try to avoid the bad thoughts, but try to surround it by good thoughts all day.

Let's say you are going to do something that triggers that bad thought. Before you do, do something that you are sure that makes you very happy. Maybe going for a walk, helping a stranger, hugging your girlfriend/wife, catching up with a friend, something. Now do the same directly afterwards. You need to keep the good feeling going. If you can do this effectively, the bad thoughts automatically change to a belief system which support the more positive thoughts.  

Let me know if it resonates ;)

Yes @vizual , it does indeed. Cool. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, abrakamowse said:
8 minutes ago, David1 said:

I think you're focussing too much on 'money'.

Thanks David, that's a good point

Yes, but then again, this too sounds like a limiting belif: "I'm focusing too much on money." What are the consequences of having such a thought?

~Chris

Edited by Isle of View

Is it possible that when you think on "money" you are also thinking on "lack of money'? @Isle of View ?

Edited by abrakamowse

Focus on money is only a bad thing if it triggers a scarcity mindset. The majority of people have grown up with limiting beliefs about money so money has been given a bad rap in this society. But money itself is not a bad thing at all, society has only deemed it so out of fear. How many rich people have you heard say that money is the root of all evil lol. Money is only evil if you are afraid of not having enough of it.

So find out if you have limiting beliefs about money. If you do, try to not to focus too much on money.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)