Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Torch

Self discipline techniques?

5 posts in this topic

What are some good techniques for building self discipline? Also, what resources like books or videos teach techniques for self discipline?

i think first having a clear goal one at a time with a deadline can help then use either of these two techniques: loss aversion. Work progress journal. 

Loss aversion is the idea that we are more likely to be motivated if we have something to lose so you could owe someone money if you don't finish your goal. The work progress journal should be that its embarrassing to write down your reasons for procrastination on paper which may help to make you motivated. 

sources: blender guru from youtube(The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Artists) and cal newport(how to become a straigt a student) 

I have also heard that it can be good to do one hard thing everyday or go outside your comfort zone everyday.

Maybe you could also look at your beliefs. It might just be that there is some belief that is holding you back.

it could also have something to do with self image. Or that your brain tells you that you have a bad plan and therefore doesn't give you the motivation to do it. (Idea from cal newport)

it might be good to look at why you don't have the self discipline you want from a psychological perspective or from a belif perspective and then figure out what you can do to overcome it. 

Some interesting books may be grit by angela duckworth, the power of full engagement by tony schwartz, Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by carol dweck, the obstacle is the way by ryan holiday, feel the fear and do it anyway by susan jeffers.

https://www.actualized.org/articles/the-art-of-solving-problems-permanently

http://calnewport.com/blog/2011/07/15/how-to-cure-deep-procrastination/

Edited by BjarkeT

I'm not sure in what sense you're struggling with discipline but one of the most simple things I've found is simply to write plans & responsibilities down, and to have a daily schedule.  If you make a schedule in the evening for how your following day should look you're more likely to stick to what you wrote down than if you hadn't planned it out. It doesn't have to be extremely complex or detailed.

Also, follow Jocko WIllink's stuff.

Edited by ChimpBrain

@Torch

Cold showers, strong determination sitting, endurance exercise, eating healthy. Simple four part formula for developing discipline.

Also, writing out your schedule for the next day before you go to sleep is an amazing habit to get into.

First, be sure that what you are disciplining yourself for is something that you actually want deep inside--not something that society merely conditioned you to want. Otherwise, you will have to use superficial and temporary tricks to increase "discipline," but in my experience that's not too sustainable.

Your true self is wise to the games and will resist pointless work.

Once you have a good reason to do something, though, then I've found that the most important thing is installing the right habits. Willpower is a highly exhaustible resource, so start with the habits that increase willpower directly and help your sense of well-being:

• meditation
  • regular exercise (whether it's formally at a gym or just frolicking around outside)
  • cutting out negative thought patterns
  • reducing your exposure to negative people whose bad habits rub off on you
  • reducing your exposure to popular media (it's often very negative and can drain your motivation without your even realizing)
  • improving your environment

Working on the infrastructure of my life made it WAY easier to get stuff done. I tried all sorts of things, but I was fighting a losing battle until I was able to admit that my environment was dragging me down and that too much of what I did every day was not in line with a wider life purpose. Installing good habits became way easier once that was taken care of, and once habits are in place, you don't need to apply as much willpower or "discipline"; your brain will just automatically go through the motions.