Lynnel

Leo's soup upgraded to the max

8 posts in this topic

Introduction

So I've been eating Leo soup for more than a year as of now and I've tried at least 20 different variations of it and today I wish to introduce a very solid version I am happy with. Just go to Newest recipe to skip all the fluff.

Old soup drawbacks

Basically lots about it was unefficient :

1. Vegetables take a lot of space so the soup wasn't nutrient dense enough and you would get hungrier faster or you wouldn't have enough soup to last a whole week.
  2. The flavour wasn't homogenous => you either had salty spiced water and then cooked vegetables + It relied heavily on you having a nice broth which isn't easy to come by.
  3. You had to chew => can get very time consuming if you have to chew a lot (yes, I'm ALL about efficiency) since you're chewing big portions of soup.
  4. You had to spend a lot of time cutting vegetables.

This was solved easily by blending all the ingredients together but more about that in the cooking process.

Some other points :

1. It was best to use vegetables in the soup that you were not eating for dinner for instance as to get enough variety.
  2. Way too much salt : while himalayan salt may be good for you, there is quite enough salt in your broth already and it's best to avoid salt when possible because you have more than enough of it most of the time.
  3. It's best to add things that otherwise are annoying to cook and can have nice benefits when consummed daily.

Newest soup recipe

Ingredients :

1.  4 large or 5 medium sized tomatoes
  2. 1/2 kg of carrots ( or 10 medium sized carrots)
  3. a full celery
  4. 4 red paprika peppers and 1 yellow paprika paper
  5. Medium sized cauliflower
  6. from 80 to 110 gr of red/coral lentils
  7. 200 gr of spinach (I yet need to add more like 500 gr to see how well it blend in but it doesn't seem to change the taste even so it's a nice bonus)

Spices :

1. One large cup of olive oil
  2. 3-4 teaspoons of curcuma
  3. 3-4 teaspons of white pepper
  4. 2-3 teaspoons of garlic powder
  5.  Lemon juice from three huge lemons
  6. Two cubes of organic broth ( mine is without palm oil) (!) Don't use fucking Knorr for this it's full of chemicals ! + Avoid any excess sugar in it too !

Preparation :

1. Wash all of your vegetables
  2. Cut your peppers and carrots and put them in the cooking pot with some water and as soon as they soften => blend them using something like on the left of the image, it allows you to blend everything in the cooking pot itself !
  3. Add all the other ingredients in w/e order (cut them to allow them to blend perfectly) and blend the shit out of them until the whole soup becomes homogenous.
  4. Bring it to a boil and let it simmer on a low/medium heat for 30 minutes
  5. Profit.

Aicok-2-en-1-Mixeur-Plogeant-2-Vitesses-

Points of attention :

1. Do not add too much lentils because they release way more of themselves (lol) since they are blended => you need to keep this liquid and not mushy. This is a soup. Too little is better than too much in this case !
  2. You can easily add some bay leaves after you finished blending and then removing them once you're done cooking => don't have to go finishing for them thinking about not eating one like in the old soup :P
  3. You will need to cut some vegetables, like the cauliflower in very small pieces so it blends easier. Fore other vegetables, like the tomatoes, just cutting them in half is totaly fine.
  4. If you feel like the oil tends to stay on top => blend some more !
  5. If you can, use only organic produce and spices + organic cold pressed olive oil.
  6. This soup is 100 % vegan/vegetarian.
  7. In europe, the average cost of a daily portion of this soup for lunch would cost you arround 3 euros to make.

Other suggestions/future upgrades :

1. I'll think maybe about adding something like reishi mushrooms or other spices or maybe even velvet beans.
  2. I'm against using any other type of oil aside from coconut if you like the flavour.
  3. I'm against beetroot because it has too much sugar, broccoli because it doesn't seem to fit in as well while blended (ideally, you would have like 2-3 rotation of amazing soup recipes optimized for your needs) and greeen beans since they don't blend in quite well.
  4. I'm against using coconut milk because either you have to waste a lot of time making it OR it adds more chemicals while the soup is almost 100 % clean and cheap.
  5. I'm against using sweet potatoes, rice, etc as you can just eat them on the side for dinner and I feel it's best to keep this as organic as possible without any carbs ! Get the carbs elsewhere.

Cheers ! Suggestions/tips/idea appreciated !

Edited by Lynnel

Sounds good. Definitely gonna try this one out sometime. Bookmarked.

I'd like to share a simple recipe and awesome soup i been making lately as well if you don't mind its really good :) for winter.

1. Chop up Pumpkin or Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Beets, Regular Potatoes or Mix them all up if you will. (Or any desired veggies that you can mash up)

2. Steam them until soft, Allow to cool a bit.

3. Throw them in a Food Processor or Mash with hand, adding water for desired soup consistency.

4. Pour all in large pot and add 1/2 to a full can of Coconut Milk - (If you don't like coconut milk you can try Ghee or other healthy fat sources)

5. Add Favorite, Herbs/Spices and Salt to taste

6. Simmer on low until desired(I usually use a pressure cooker on 5 -10 minutes but this may take longer with regular cooking.

(Optional) Soak lentils for a few hours to overnight beforehand and cook together if you wish for a thicker, protein rich meal.

:)

B R E A T H E

21 hours ago, pluto said:

1. Chop up Pumpkin or Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Beets, Regular Potatoes or Mix them all up if you will. (Or any desired veggies that you can mash up)

I like sweet patatoes on the side but if you eat this daily that's way too much carbs and sugar to be truly healthy imho. Still a great option if you're a newbee starting from scratch.

13 hours ago, Lynnel said:

I like sweet patatoes on the side but if you eat this daily that's way too much carbs and sugar to be truly healthy imho. Still a great option if you're a newbee starting from scratch.

I suggested this for an alternate soup sometimes not necessary have to eat it every day. Its extremely healthy and nourishing to my understanding and full of non-stimulative/non-organ taxing foods. Eating the same thing everyday of "anything" is unwise (although as long as its "whole food" you would be highly unlikely to come across any problems any time soon as human body adapts quite well to "whole" plant based foods) and natural carbs and sugar do not negatively effect the human body no where near as processed/concentrated carbs/sugars ect.. do. Its a completely different ball game.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

I tried it like this.

i put in carrots, peppers, tomatoes, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and vegetable boillon. 

Tasted good but it gave me diarrhea twice, anybody know why?

@pluto I understand, I'm still not a huge lover of carbs because they tend to have way less of a nutritional value and spike your blood sugar too much which may lead to psychological addiction :P Also while I natural sugar isnt bad it may still be as addictive as the processed one. Otherwise yeah variety is good and I'll be experimenting with more soups/recipe ideas in the future.

@MM1988 If it was "real" diarhea as in only liquid colored with poop it's unrelated. Be sure to wash and peel your vegetables properly and also use bottled clean water and not sink water. 

Otherwise since it is very easy to digest it will naturally speed up your metabolism and it is known that eating a lot of vegetables and fruit gives you the shits. If you dont shit daily you are technically constipated so it's a good thing ! Your body will get used to faster stools. You can eat banana's or fruit with similar effects to balance it out ! Enjoy hehe :)