Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hazedwin

I feel confused and sad...

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I hope everyone is okay.

I have a question that I don't know how to answer, maybe you guys can help. I just saw Leo's video about "The Big Picture of Self Actualization", and he recommends that I "detach" myself from the results/rewards when going after my goals. And I can understand why, if I don't feel happy right now or if I don't appreciate what I have right now, it's gonna be harder for me to actualize my dreams. But here is the catch, if I accepted everything as it is, and I told myself nothing was wrong with my situation, then I wouldn't have any motivation to improve or evolve in any way. I am 22, I owe 400$, and because I can't pay my bills I will probably be kicked out of the house, and I don't even know where I'm going to end up living (hopefully not on the streets but it is a possibility),  I'm unemployed, my parents have zero resources to help me, I live in a poor country, I am surrounded by poor people who don't inspire me and think that I'm crazy for having left school to find my passion, etc. Although these are challenges and situations from where I can grow from if I can overcome them, how am I suppose to NOT want to improve y situation? I would love to have a job where I can be happy or have the freedom to do more meaningful things or have resources to buy products that can enhance the quality of my life. But, if I am supposed to be happy with my current situation, how am I going to achieve those goals? Is it fair that I want those things? Also, I'm feeling like giving up now. I've been trying so many things to find a reason for living, but what's is the point of living if when I die I won't remember anything anyway?. If I had money, I guess it would be easier to live happily because I could afford healthy food, I could pay gym membership and stay healthy, or I could have resources to study, but what is there if you don't even have access to any of these things, or even worse, your environment is always telling you that those things are just a "dream" and that it's futile to go after them. 

Please, any ideas would help. 

The teaching of detachment is probably just too advanced for you right now. Go ahead and fix up your life and earn some success. Then you can revisit the importance of detachment (once you have a bunch of attachments and you can appreciate how much they make you suffer).

You need to climb Maslow's Hierarchy a bit before you get into the nonduality stuff. Learn how to function in the world effectively first. Learn how to feed yourself. There will be a lot of personal development lessons there for you.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura greatest advice ive ever heard.  thanks. been thinking about that for a while. but now I've heard it from the man himself 

Edited by thehero

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

(once you have a bunch of attachments and you can appreciate how much they make you suffer).

lmaoooo

@hazedwin

Yeah I'm going to echo some of what Leo said.

When spiritual people talk about detachment, they're not suggesting that you should simply do nothing. That's called apathy.

It's a fine distinction. If you're not able to wrap your head around it yet, that's fine.

Detachment is just another concept. Concepts are meant to serve you. If thinking about detachment isn't helping you, get rid of it.