Alex14

Fasting and Exercise during Meditation retreat (at home)

6 posts in this topic

I think fasting is done during prolonged meditation, but is exercise ok during prolonged meditation?

Whats your overall opinion for water fasting and (not extreme) exercise during 1+ days of meditation... ?

Edited by Alex14

37 minutes ago, Alex14 said:

(not extreme) exercise

Slow walking can be done during prolonged meditation and fasting. 

Yoga and fasting are not compatible. 

What is type of exercise that you want to do?

@Prabhaker light weight lifting, just to move a little bit , no more than 1hr (possibly only every other day)

Fasting and exercising for a day or two usually doesn’t harm a healthy person, but when a fast lasts for longer durations, it can have an impact on your health. The body will also begin to use body fat, muscle to keep you moving. 

If you don't have any energy, you can fall down below the mind: then too a no-mind happens, but it is not meditation, if you are not blissful. It is easy to meditate if you don’t want to be blissful , it is very easy to meditate. But meditation minus bliss is not true meditation.

Edited by Prabhaker

In my experience, moderate length fasts (1-3 days) heightens tf out of your awareness.

I would recommend some light exercise (weights included) for such a fast, if it feels right. But take it easy if you plan on continuing to fast for a while after exercising.

“Curiosity killed the cat.”

You can walk or do gentle exercise but to get the most out if it just meditate TBH like @InfinitePotential said, fasting heightens awareness significantly and meditation and spiritual practice while fasting is as amplified as its ever going to get because the body is purer than ever.

Just be with it, you'll know what to do naturally.

B R E A T H E