Alytheyogi

How To Talk To People When You Are More Spiritual Than Them

13 posts in this topic

How to talk to people when you are more spiritual than them?

This is something I've wanted to hear from Leo for a while.  I've noticed that as I grow it becomes harder to talk with some people who are not practising spirituality and are very defensive.

Is there a way of being yourself and honest here or is it better to keep what you know to yourself and just smile and be mostly quiet?

The way a parent speaks to his child I'd presume.

Some people are good at doing this in this forum I noticed. They become charismatic and just give them one or two points they need instead of telling the whole truth directly. 

Edited by Key Elements

Good topic! What is your parents are not spiritual at all? I think this is the situation is most familes like mine. I know I can never force them to live more consciously. I think we shouldn't try to convince anybody but we can talk them without our ego. This way our presence may effect their actions and they can realize the difference between their averege life and a more enlightened life. (I'm not like a buddha at home at all, I mean just small but conscious things)

So yes, maybe staying quiet and smiling can be a good plan. If somebody is telling bullshit things and you don't agree and don't react in any ways, that can be even more helpful than dishonest advice. I recommend Eckhart Tolle's videos on this topic.

"Connect with those who remind you of who you are." Ralph @ Infinite Waters - see: How to Be Unstoppable (I'm going to communicate through my startup.) 

Edited by Key Elements

21 hours ago, Alytheyogi said:

This is something I've wanted to hear from Leo for a while.  I've noticed that as I grow it becomes harder to talk with some people who are not practising spirituality and are very defensive.

Is there a way of being yourself and honest here or is it better to keep what you know to yourself and just smile and be mostly quiet?

With most people, it is that they have a spiritual ego. That they are better or more wise than people who do not know anything about spirituality. When you become more heart-centered, you are interested in everyone (even in topics you are not interested in). The ego dissolves and it is basically you talking to yourself, and every word is interesting. 

Spirituality is a social practice, not only a sit-at-home practice.

This is a very good toping, thank you.

Life is when awareness hides in the idea of personal experience. ~ Matt Kahn

Less conscious people that appear in Your life are blessings and tests of Your enlightenment.
Don't ask how to talk. You know how to talk.
Ask rather how to remain present while talking to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqr98O8QT3M

Ask a good Pick-up Artist how to talk to girls and he'll tell You that being congruent with yourself and embracing the present moment matters much more than what You say.

Edited by Thomas

I suppose that is why I joined this forum--- at least it made sense that this community talks about topics that are usually too deep for most people....I am finding social interaction more and more difficult, myself. How can one even atchieve enlightenment when the world "out there" distracts and seemingly contradicts enlightenment work? It seems to make more sense in working away from society altogether, like at a monastery. I could, temporarily....but then what? Meanwhile, my agenda beckons. Tra-Ia-la-laaaaa......

On 3/10/2016 at 8:22 AM, Alytheyogi said:

16 hours ago, ArabiaNytes said:

I suppose that is why I joined this forum--- at least it made sense that this community talks about topics that are usually too deep for most people....I am finding social interaction more and more difficult, myself. How can one even atchieve enlightenment when the world "out there" distracts and seemingly contradicts enlightenment work? It seems to make more sense in working away from society altogether, like at a monastery. I could, temporarily....but then what? Meanwhile, my agenda beckons. Tra-Ia-la-laaaaa......

it all hinges on your desire, what is going on in the world around you can sometimes be a catalyst for further growth and awakening. The one thing i remember most over the years was the desire i had for liberation from what i felt was the insanity of the world around me, and the feeling that i was imprisoned in this body of flesh.  and now i feel like and am an invisible observer, somewhat disconnected from the physical world and my own physical body and identity of who i thought i was.  to be able to function from the core of your being, and experience the creative power of that, the world nor the human identity will never experience it.   to know that you are the creative life force instrumental in the creation of the universe and the world around you and even your own body,  gives peace, security and joy unknown to human beings.  go deeper within, it is there waiting for you.

We aren't supposed to try and change anyone, we're supposed to just accept them the way they are, yes we can suggest some form of help to them but no point in pushing the button or drill of overdoing it

With humility, because they teach me more so than I them. The more spiritual one becomes, ego kinda diminishes. It's a toughy though. 

But I know what ya mean. :) Just because I believe in my truth , I never advocate one way to my truth, there are so many ways to healing, enlightenment and growing ,etc. It always amazes how many ways people come through their own resilience and their own grounding work through different means than the next person and so one. It's like they teach me more so. And it's refreshing to see. 

Whenever I talk to someone who is less enlightened than I am, the person reminds me of my past days (what I used to be) and the thought which comes across my mind is, damn! What a piece of sh*t I used to be.  

But it's also a good thing as I kinda feel both proud and relieved that at least I can think of better things than discussing different shades of lipstick.