Phill

Higher Consciousness = Behavior Change?

19 posts in this topic

It's been a while that I have been trying to change my behavior, @Leo Gurait is very true that you are a slave of your own feelings and desires, and it seems that in order to change your behavior your suppose to go against your feelings and desires, and that might lead into more discipline.

I have been finding really hard to change my behavior, for the last entire year I have been trying to create a reading habit, every week I read but for like 15mins here or there and this is just isn't usually enough to develop the idea on the subject.

Now an interesting thing that happened few weeks ago, I went jogging, I usually would jog for 25-35mins, I wanted to increase it to 1 hour, then one day I put a timer on my cellphone and pushed with pure force until I reached 1 hour, then I came back home. When I arived at home, I did some journaling immediately about how I was feeling, if there was any difference compared to 25-35mins, what I became conscious is that the benefits was even greater, and by becoming more aware of that helped me to stick with it for the next entire week. I also decided to stop jogging and go swimming, and I started swimming for 1 hour everyday, but right now it's starting to become boring and I can see myself starting to procrastinate.

As you guys can see this story is old and repetitive in my life, you start something, then skip the next day, then repeat this vicious cycle, I never managed to really stick with something in a real consistent way.

My question is, how do you make sure your new behavior sticks? I feel that right now I am very aware of the self talk, the manipulations I tell myself to not do it etc etc, usually what works for me is just put the cloths on and go, don't think too much otherwise you will procrastinate. And seriously, the main reason that made me keep jogging and to increase to 1 hour is that I feel the need of doing it to control my anxiety levels, I feel that if there was no anxiety problems, it would be extremely hard to it because "it's just important" instead of having a true desire of doing it. 

As you can see it goes to square one, I am a slave to my own desires I do it because something inside pushes me to do it. Maybe I am addicted to outcomes and results?

Does anyone here truly does something without desiring it? Just because it's necessary? Have you been able to stick with it? What's your guys thoughts?

There is no doer of action :D thats why you dont do what you want to do..

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

15 minutes ago, NoSelfSelf said:

I'm sorry I do not understand, can you elaborate?

@Phill there is no you doing anything 

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

Now fight.

28 minutes ago, NoSelfSelf said:

@Phill there is no you doing anything 

Oh ok, so what am I suppose to do with this?

8 minutes ago, Phill said:

Oh ok, so what am I suppose to do with this?

That's the whole thing. What can you do with things you can't control? 

You let it go. 

But I understand your "problem". Why did you stop with running if you liked it so much? Do what you like then most when it comes to workout and read what you love to read. 

And meditation is very powerful to let everything be. Observe without doing. 

Behavior change comes with awareness and not the way around by doing. 

Edited by cirkussmile

1 hour ago, cirkussmile said:

That's the whole thing. What can you do with things you can't control? 

You let it go. 

But I understand your "problem". Why did you stop with running if you liked it so much? Do what you like then most when it comes to workout and read what you love to read. 

And meditation is very powerful to let everything be. Observe without doing. 

Behavior change comes with awareness and not the way around by doing. 

That's the tough part, if I let go, and I don't force myself out of the comfort zone at least a little bit everyday, you go back to be very lazy and just float with whatever you feel you should do, addictions and desires. I manage to jog everyday because I forced myself with brute force to do it. With time it is becoming easier and easier but just in a very slow pace.

Also here is a quote from Leo about discipline in an old post:

On 12/20/2017 at 9:02 PM, Leo Gura said:

@Phill You need to realize that there is no substitute for action.

How do you develop discipline?

You just fucking do it.

You take that lazy ego and you force it to submit, like a dog.

And if you are too lazy to do that. That is it. You're stuck forever.

Edited by Phill

1 hour ago, Phill said:

That's the tough part, if I let go, and I don't force myself out of the comfort zone at least a little bit everyday, you go back to be very lazy and just float with whatever you feel you should do, addictions and desires. I manage to jog everyday because I forced myself with brute force to do it. With time it is becoming easier and easier but just in a very slow pace.

Also here is a quote from Leo about discipline in an old post:

It all depends on the context. If you always follow the same advice you also get stuck. Your perceptions and understand is unique. 

There's two parts of you that seems to be in conflict. The being-part and the becoming-part. They are not working against each other. 

Just follow Breath, and your behavior will drastically change into a more harmonious stage, every day. 

@NoSelfSelf Man , seriously , dir you see that what you've just said is useless? , stop aswering with this ''spiritual'' anwsers that don't make any sense in the context . this only shows how poor understanding you have ...

14 hours ago, NoSelfSelf said:

Ok @Phill hi , you need to investigate the things that became habits in your life , things you do because you feel the need to do , and just redirected your actions into something that you wanna do (some new habit , new skill ) . Look when you feel the need to stop doing something , as if it's something wrong in what you are doing . Ask yourself '' if i am gonna stop doing this , what am i going to do '' and see that what you are gonna do is just to stick with your ''old self'' your ''old indentity'' , is a form of self preservation . But you can change your behaviour , and clear seeing is what makes more easy , not a suffering or some huge effort mentally speaking . See how you come with excuses just to stay the same , is natural , and noticing this is key . With focus intention and clear seeing you can change the course of your life , not by ''needing to change'' but choosing to change , cause the ''need feeling comes from conditioning... 

Hope that helps in some form , thank you 

@tecladocasio first of all dont tell me what to do second it doesnt make sense from you perspective as an ego...

It's you.

Now fight.

@NoSelfSelf if dont make sense for us ''inferior beings''  , what is the purpose of you saying this ? I think you are being kind of egoic , my lord ...

@tecladocasio there is no point in this have a nice day :) 

It's you.

Now fight.

11 hours ago, Outer said:

Nothing. He lacks the ability to emphasize with most people who actually are a person doing things. Every single person on the street are.

Huge consciousness opportunity for you here if you can start to see that is not what’s actually going on. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

13 minutes ago, tecladocasio said:

@NoSelfSelf if dont make sense for us ''inferior beings''  , what is the purpose of you saying this ? I think you are being kind of egoic , my lord ...

Being infinite source believing you are inferior is not AT ALL the same as being a seperate being which is inferior. You created this to such a degree, it fooled you deeply. 

This does not actually change what you are. That’s why it’s referred to as Truth. 

Why do you think thoughts upon self of inferiority feel like shit? Because the Truth is absolute, and the thoughts are relativity. Emotion is showing you this, you have learned not to listen. 

Give listening a chance. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm Did you read the context in which I said that  ?  I was ironic , and didn't understand what you are trying to say , maybe you are making some assumptions about me...