SelfHelpGuy

Giving without expectation?

7 posts in this topic

Hey there.

I've recently heard a bit about giving without expectation or just not having expectations in the first place to live a happier life. 

1. First I'd like to ask, where is the balance between NOT having expectations and still having goals and a vision.

2. Also, do you guys have any suggestions to practical exercises to embody the 'Giving without expectations' mentality? 

Cheers

@SelfHelpGuy Great post. Do for the experience on both accounts. For the ‘Now’ of it. No purpose, no point, no expectations. Plan, from that same Now. Random example; plan to have a second / vacation house one day. Make a list of specific things / amenities you’d love for it to have. Imagine it where you want to be, a rolling country side, a lake house maybe, a hipster loft downtown, etc. Draw pictures of it. Paint it. Buy something you’ll hang on the wall. Intend to manifest it, and know that it will. Stay present, imagine it, and be happy about it. Likewise, give to others your time, your attention, your compassion, your money, give them opportunities you’ve created, your knowledge & expertise from your life’s experience, your wisdom, your love, your sincerity  - the two are relative. All there is to be enjoyed can readily be enjoyed, with the realization that what you really are owns nothing. All is fleeting and for fun. It’s a dream.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm Thanks. Like that idea, I'll definitely give that a go. 

How about 'Taking' 

Should I tone down on taking? Because have a YouTube channel and sometimes promote things a little too much like 'Subscribe' or 'Merch'  or 'Faceboook' or 'Like the video'. 

How do I balance this side of things?

Just focus on giving and not promoting these things? 

@SelfHelpGuy

There's no black and white answer, you're going to have to try things out and see what happens. But I can give you some paradigms that will be helpful.

Giving should be something that you genuinely enjoy doing and that you'd be doing anyway. For instance, I love teaching. And so when I make free YouTube videos, that's me doing something I love and would be doing really no matter what.

But that alone is not enough.

As much as I love making free videos, the reality is that it's not free for me. Camera equipment, maintaining a website, video editing software etc are all things that cost money. So it has to be monetized through paid products and services.

Given that I can use that money to create more content and help more people, and given that I truly believe my services will benefit the person buying, I now have an OBLIGATION to sell and receive.

That might mean running ads. That might mean studying marketing. Or that might mean strong calls to action. It's all necessary.

Believe me, I'd rather just make the free videos and answer everyone's questions all day. But what I've realized is that's not spiritual, that's actually a shadow side of my personality. The only reason I would do that is because I didn't think I was worthy of receiving.

And that's not just me. Many, many people I've met are insecure about being compensated.

Life is about finding Win/Win solutions because it's the only sustainable strategy. Good for others AND good for you. Otherwise it breaks down every single time.

I guess that this is the wrong place to ask a "how to" because it implies that others here know better or are more advanced than you. That is not the case imo. I'd rather find a genuine teacher than asking the forum here.

@SelfHelpGuy Find the win win, the symbiosis, be the “fittest”. Watch a video on YouTube called The Science of Persuasion. Figure out what the ‘mints’ are to give your viewers, so they happily express their reciprocity. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE