zunnyman

modifying meditation techniques dangerous?

8 posts in this topic

Like for example, For a while I have been doing the technique from leo’s video on “strong negative emotions, but now I added a twist which is breathing into strong negative emotions, by going into and fully feeling strong negative emotions with the breath and the awareness of the breath - if all that makes sense lol

And that felt great and worked really well for me, but felt too powerful to fast

Could trying something untested like this (or maybe this is a technique that I never heard of) lead to weird experiences, physical or spiritual damage? 

I know sadhguru says modifying yoga is dangerous, but never heard of modifying meditation techniques

47 minutes ago, zunnyman said:

Like for example, For a while I have been doing the technique from leo’s video on “strong negative emotions, but now I added a twist which is breathing into strong negative emotions, by going into and fully feeling strong negative emotions with the breath and the awareness of the breath - if all that makes sense lol

And that felt great and worked really well for me, but felt too powerful to fast

Could trying something untested like this (or maybe this is a technique that I never heard of) lead to weird experiences, physical or spiritual damage? 

I know sadhguru says modifying yoga is dangerous, but never heard of modifying meditation techniques

Be spontaneous. Modifying yoga is dangerous, only if you modify it with dangerous things - like smoking while doing it for example... 

If modifying yoga is dangerous, then dancing is dangerous. Be spontaneous. Meditate however you wish, only important is to notice you're aware. 

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

@zunnyman  In my opinion Sadhguru has not attained Enlightenment yet, as to modifying meditative practises, only YOU know what is best for yourself not some guru not some person on the internet YOU need to trust your own intuition if something doesn't feel right your Intuition will communicate that message to you. YOU just need to be mindful to receive it and adjust accordingly

Sadhguru isn’t an isolated example, even Leo is saying, taking from the creator of kriya yoga, that with kriya yoga you shouldn’t mix in different yoga styles, or modify it for whats convenient, or do the routines I choose to and leave out the rest, etc. I’m sure there’s good reason for why so many gurus are saying not to modify yoga, or maybe our western minded intellect won’t understand.

Just don't modify something you don't understand and always test drive your new ideas. Otherwise you loose warranty. xD

Adding breathing to emotion releasing exercise sounds like a good idea IMHO. It's not like you can't stop if it gets too intense.

You have to stick to rules mainly to avoid bastardization, like doing Strong Determination Sitting with music playing on. No, you are not meditating that way, you are simply listening to songs.

To every practice there are core components that can't be changed and less important parts where there is freedom to improvise. For example, I have developed my own way of sitting for Yoga - there is a very high cushion in my house that staightens my back and gives less strain than sitting in the perfect pose. I guess no master could have recommended it, as they don't know about existence of such cushion at my home.

Yes, modifying techniques might be dangerous or ineffective. 

But NOT modifying techniques could also be dangerous or ineffective. 

Every technique has it's limited range of applicability. It's designed for people with a certain level of awareness and certain (typical) obstacles. But if you're lower than that or have a not-so-typical nervous system or your private set of trauma, just taking on a technique could be dangerous. 

For example, using the Vipassana-beginner instruction to just watch my breath makes me extremely agitated and anxious really fast. Maybe I'm not distinguishing between concentration and mindfulness properly, or I have an agitated mind, I don't know. Anyway, the do nothing technique works better for me. 

You have to test techniques for yourself. 

Best technique is that method you learn from your own breath. 

Edited by Quanty

2 hours ago, Quanty said:

Best technique is that method you learn from your own breath. 

If you are always focusing only for breathing techniques you will miss the other benefits other than breathing... I always see that you are attached to the breathing, you are not seeing the bigger picture in everything if you are focused to one ?The best is to have the whole not particular ?