ConsolePeasant

Hobbies and the Ego

6 posts in this topic

Hi! Brand new to the forum, and relatively new to self-actualisation, so I have a looooot of questions xD 

As someone who is finally beginning to "see the light", I am starting to look more critically at how I spend my time, and whether or not some of my hobbies are simply feeding my ego when I should be trying to minimise it. Here are some questions/thoughts relating to hobbies that may not be considered "worthwhile".

Do you think there any activities that are simply a waste of time no matter how you practice them? For example, psychedelics can both feed or minimise the ego depending on how you use them. But are there hobbies that are just "objectively bad"?

Further, if the point of meditation/mindfulness to just be happy in the moment, regardless of what is happening around you, does it really matter how you chose to spend your time? If you enjoy engaging in simple stimulation, such as watching TV, could you not still do that while being mindful?

What hobbies do you participate in that help you realise your authentic self- that other people might not consider "worthwhile"? 

And lastly, how do you know if your ego is tricking you into thinking a certain activity might be good for your development, but is actually just feeding itself?

Looking forward to reading some interesting answers ^_^ 

good questions. short answer: time.

you will gather what you sow.

unborn Truth

1 hour ago, ConsolePeasant said:

Hi! Brand new to the forum, and relatively new to self-actualisation, so I have a looooot of questions xD

Welcome, thanks for joining us.

But are there hobbies that are just "objectively bad"?

No there aren't. There are only stages of development.

However, you will find that certain hobbies are going to far more beneficial than others.

Further, if the point of meditation/mindfulness to just be happy in the moment, regardless of what is happening around you, does it really matter how you chose to spend your time? If you enjoy engaging in simple stimulation, such as watching TV, could you not still do that while being mindful?

In theory, you could.

But most people just zone out like zombies when they watch TV. That's the point of it. They're just trying to distract themselves and avoid being present.

2 hours ago, ConsolePeasant said:

What hobbies do you participate in that help you realise your authentic self- that other people might not consider "worthwhile"? 

I do a lot of social events. Some people might say it's distracting but it really depends on the person and why they're doing it.

16 hours ago, ConsolePeasant said:

As someone who is finally beginning to "see the light", I am starting to look more critically at how I spend my time, and whether or not some of my hobbies are simply feeding my ego when I should be trying to minimise it. Here are some questions/thoughts relating to hobbies that may not be considered "worthwhile".

Do you think there any activities that are simply a waste of time no matter how you practice them? For example, psychedelics can both feed or minimise the ego depending on how you use them. But are there hobbies that are just "objectively bad"?

And lastly, how do you know if your ego is tricking you into thinking a certain activity might be good for your development, but is actually just feeding itself?

Looking forward to reading some interesting answers ^_^ 

Welcome to the forum!

There’s no objectivity, only the illusion of subjectivity, until there is only objectivity, so do whatever you like for hobbies. Live as you like. 

Of course you could watch tv mindfully. You could do anything mindfully. Do you really want to watch tv though? Probably not. 

Fitness, guitar & singing, writing & songwriting, drawing and painting; flow & creativity can be developed, authentisicm more realized, deeper realizations - very worthwhile. ❤️

Ego is a category of thought.....and just like that - already tricked! Thoughts are things, like cars & trees. None are me, and all are me. Ego says “just these are me”, and Nothing builds a conceptual identity of other-than actuality. The true identity Is, and is unidentifiable! Who is there to identify it! 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Thanks everyone for your responses so far, I am starting to get a clearer picture. What I've understood based on the replies here, is that there are no "bad" hobbies and you can do whatever you want- but some hobbies are more beneficial to your progress than others. I guess another question would be, do you just naturally gravitate towards more beneficial activities as you progress down your path?

On 04/04/2018 at 0:57 AM, ConsolePeasant said:

Thanks everyone for your responses so far, I am starting to get a clearer picture. What I've understood based on the replies here, is that there are no "bad" hobbies and you can do whatever you want- but some hobbies are more beneficial to your progress than others. I guess another question would be, do you just naturally gravitate towards more beneficial activities as you progress down your path?

yes to both questions but dont believe anyone of us, not even me or buddha itself.

see if its true with your own eyes (experience) and if it is follow it, if its not, drop it