Shubham

Why To Post For Reputation?

20 posts in this topic

many posting random thoughts and mixture of good things they heard... Just to get reputation in the forum...

even If that thought conflicts their own beliefs and action...

what say?

Could be, it's hard to say really. It probably lowers the quality of the forum a bit, assuming it's the case. I'm sure they'll get bored of it eventually. 

In the meantime, here's some rep for you! :D

:ph34r:

4 hours ago, Cabot said:

Could be, it's hard to say really. It probably lowers the quality of the forum a bit, assuming it's the case. I'm sure they'll get bored of it eventually. 

xD

Sincerely, on this forum, I see a correlation between people's reputation and the amount of thought and openmindedness they put into their comments. I'm glad I found such a community. We're gonna do great things together ! Leo can even become a silent himalayan yogi for the rest of his life, but his ideas will remain with us.

And yeah, there are still some people who post for reputation... But it only means we still have some teaching to do ! 

On 3/4/2016 at 7:49 PM, Shubham said:

many posting random thoughts and mixture of good things they heard... Just to get reputation in the forum...

@ShubhamHahaha I don't know? 

On 3/4/2016 at 7:49 PM, Shubham said:

even If that thought conflicts their own beliefs and action...

In a self actualization forum where one would come for growth, I would actually hope to find some self conflict in belief and action occurring, that is what authentic change appears to look like. :)

On 3/4/2016 at 0:22 AM, Cabot said:

What @Cabot said! :D

18 hours ago, Philip said:

Sincerely, on this forum, I see a correlation between people's reputation and the amount of thought and openmindedness they put into their comments.

My observation thus far is the majority of folks here are sincere and seeking to improve themselves and be of service to others.    That's pretty awesome.  ;) 

Reputation creates comfort which in turn will make them want to come for more eye-opening tidbits posted by good-spirited individuals. Discomfort is essential for self-actualization but if you already are in a mess in your personal life, you'd rather not create additional trouble for you, by volition either way, until you've settled some previous issues. One can take only so much discomfort at a time I imagine.

Excellence is the same as habit. When you constantly do something, you might become excellent at it. -Aristotle

When it comes to my thoughts on the activities of others I try to stick to what I can prove. My truth is, I have no idea what others are doing or why they do it. When I do, I have just that, an idea.

13 hours ago, Brian Greendahl said:

When it comes to my thoughts on the activities of others I try to stick to what I can prove. My truth is, I have no idea what others are doing or why they do it. When I do, I have just that, an idea.

That's my sentiment. On the flip side – if you believe positive reputation points don't matter, is it of importance if someone has given you a down arrow either? Goes both ways...

Excellence is the same as habit. When you constantly do something, you might become excellent at it. -Aristotle

I don't understand why Leo build this inside his forum. Positive and negative reps, also the rank that is corelated to how many times you post. This all seems like ego game to me. I might as well just post silly stuff in every thread and would soon have the rank "master" because I have 2k posts. I believe that true self actualized people do not need such a system, and I thought Leo had the same idea too. It is maybe really supposed to be motivation but such a system can indeed lover the quality of the forum and backfire on people and the community. Why would a self-actualizing person even give a fuck about the reps? I have seen people give me negative reps just because the didn't agree with my thoughts or maybe they didn't even get my idea. This is literally an outlet for the hurt ego to "hurt" me back by giving me a negative rep. Also people get positive rep for all kinds of silly, unimportant posts, way more than they probably deserve.

IMO this whole system makes no sense but whatever. We can really just overlook it and focus on high quality posts and improving ourselfes.

@The Son Agree. This reputation score system sounds like a mind game. I never pay attention to those numbers anyway. 

@The Son couldn't agree more. the funny thing is, even though I would like a forum with no ratings, my mind somehow even pays some importance to it. So funny. And insane. Even if I'm aware of it. I guess minds are addicted to approval and hurt by disapprovel, even if it's some random guy/girl in an internet-forum.

@The Son has a point. 9_9

However, looking at this system from different perspectives: There probably is benefit from a reputation system, since mere spectators (which amount a lot) will thus be able to find the most upvoted and approved individuals' content more easily. Good!

Our system forces people not to be their genuine selves but to adjust to some patterns that previous self-help materials have set. Furthermore, this system proves again that a society doesn't function vibrantly with self-actualized people; because workaholic laymen need different motivators like ego, pride, wrath, envy, patriotism, elitism, supremacy or in @Leo Gura's case, a goal of gaining near self-actualization. Leonardo is effectively borrowing non-actualized behavior like workaholism to get there. That's why he still is helping our society. So as long as we are not finished in actualizing (which is never), that long we also have to borrow from non-actualized behavior like doing a little bit of ego-related deeds or alike. Better yet though, a system of tips – "Tip Leo $100 and gain the forum level of Not-A-Monkey." and "Tip Leo's stripper $200 and gain the forum level of Mom Theresa." Fishing for upvotes is bad, I'd like other means for level-ups, please, if any.

10 hours ago, Veggies make me fart said:

That's my sentiment. On the flip side – if you believe positive reputation points don't matter, is it of importance if someone has given you a down arrow either? Goes both ways...

I would venture to say that while a positive point reputation may have no influence in a person's motive for a given post, a negative or down arrow point, after the fact, could quite conceivably arouse a reaction of some sort from that person. I don't necessarily believe that reaction would have to be tied to their original motive for the post.  

It occured to me that the reputation thingy is a bit of an ego game. Then again, forums themselves can be a whole can of egocetnric worms. Certainly other forums demostrate this. But I have noticed here a higher level of consciousness and less egotism than other forums, which is to be expected given the context.

Where was I going with this.. yes, so the reputation thingy can serve a constructive purpose. It can provide a rough guide to people who are a more credible or accepted source of insight verses people who have little or no insight or experience. Not that sources of information should need evaluating - afterall, if we all use critical thinking then we can make our own minds up whether insight is valid or useful or not.
But like every system it is open to abuse. Not only that but after a few years everyone will be a 'Master', lol.

I actually find it usefull to see the number of 'thumbs up' a post has so that I can see that people find that particular post to have some accepted insight. The important thing is to use the system responsibly. Give reputation when you connect with some insight or find it helpful.

It's a more usefull indicator of the validitiy of individual posts than perhaps for the author of the posts.

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

On 6.3.2016 at 11:50 PM, Brian Greendahl said:

tive or down arrow point, after the fact, could quite conceivably arouse a reaction of some sort from that person. I't necessarily believe that reaction would have to be tied to their original motive for the post. 

If you are independent of outcome, arrows shouldn't matter. Are you?

Veggies make me blast

Edited by Veggies make me fart

7 hours ago, Veggies make me fart said:

If you are independent of outcome, arrows shouldn't matter. Are you?

No. But then I haven't claimed to be.

3 hours ago, Brian Greendahl said:

No. But then I haven't claimed to be.

Fair enough. Indeed, negative arrow points are that much more impactful because they are extraordinarily rare, hence people will take them more heavily into consideration. (Rare as they may be, they are still on occasion unfortunately abused for toxic motives.) The ratio must be close to one downward arrow to every one hundred upward arrows.

Freedom of outcome is remarkably important nonetheless and I hope you'll reach that for your own well-being @Brian Greendahl! I shot you with a descending arrow to the knee now. How do you feel?

Crucial story about outcome independence:

http://pickthebrain.com/blog/need-outcome-independent

It-Is-What-It-Is.jpg

3 hours ago, Veggies make me fart said:

Freedom of outcome is remarkably important nonetheless and I hope you'll reach that for your own well-being @Brian Greendahl! I shot you with a descending arrow to the knee now. How do you feel?

I think I'm going to be ok. lol. Being independent of outcome and giving weight to the arrows are two different things. Perhaps we're not fully in understanding of one another. I don't post here or anywhere with a particular outcome in mind. I don't know that I could safely articulate the reasons, motives etc., of others who post here. I don't know if they do or do not post with arrows in mind and I think to go beyond that or even give it much of my own personal concern would be giving the matter too much rent free space in my head. My understanding of the thread when it started was that it was being stated that others were posting with reputation in mind (up arrow down arrow). I felt it was not something to speculate on because it's just that, speculation.

Being independent of outcome and not having attachment to outcome are two different things. If I post or respond in a thread, I'm not independent of the outcome because I have participated in the origin and directly, or indirectly, I will be a part of or have an association with that outcome. Do I have an attachment to it? Not at all.

16 hours ago, Brian Greendahl said:

I think I'm going to be ok. lol.

200w.gif

Being independent of outcome and not having attachment to outcome are two different things. If I post or respond in a thread, I'm not independent of the outcome because I have participated in the origin and directly, or indirectly, I will be a part of or have an association with that outcome. Do I have an attachment to it? Not at all.

I'm afraid it is vice versa, Brain: You're attached or part of its future for being involved in a thread, but your daily life doesn't anyhow depend on it so you're independent of its course. Our definitions may vary, my man.

Wouldn't it be fun if 10,000 reputation grants you enlightenment state. 

It is possibly to keep the forum more alive, because the chimpery effects would still work. But I would agree to stop the reputation thing, because it is distraction from the real value people have here (that is much bigger than a reputation).

Life is when awareness hides in the idea of personal experience. ~ Matt Kahn