Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moon777light

Taking Vitamin K2 with Vitamin D essential

8 posts in this topic

I see many people discussing vitamin D on here and a few years back in my physiology class at medschool one of the doctors were explaining how the whole vitamin d trend is incomplete and many are doing it wrong, because the way vitamin d is absorbed in the CELL is that it binds to a transport, and that inorder for this transport to open and let the vitamin d inside, k2 must also bind (?)(i forgot the exact mechanism, the class was 3yrs ago) And that what people are doing by taking just vitamin d is that they are exhausting the body's supply of vitamin k2, thus making you deficient in that. As a tip i would advise people to start taking them both. Vitamin k2 has 2 forms, mk-14 derived from meat and mk-7 derived from plants, mainly from natto (japanese fermented soybeans). The mk-7 active state is much longer than mk-14 so go for that one,. It is a bit more pricier but well worth it.

Also some people notice that they take high doses of vit D like 5000 IU+ but there blood tests show that they are still low. this is fixed when taking k2

thanks for the reminder, I'll have to remember this next time I stock up on d3

The kingdom of heaven is within.

Any idea what the optimal dose of K2 is per 5000 IU?

I've always taken K2 (MK7) with D3 (3000 IU), but on my last blood test 25-OH dipped from 47 to 39, so I increased it to 4000 IU, but now I'm thinking maybe I need more K2.

Edited by Haumea

Sunlight is far better option because D3 does not have the same results as the source itself. There's much more to sunlight that aids in our health and life than just D3, supplements are good to get the system starting and on the way to vibrant health but prolonged use is not wise because the body becomes used to them and eventually starts to rely on them.

K2 richest source is natto but can also be found in fermented foods/vegetables and sea vegetables/algae and a few other foods i cannot think of atm but i know there's a few more. You can supplement d3/k2 every 2nd or 3rd day if your getting some sun at least 3-4 days a week.

50-75% body exposure 10-20 minutes a day should be very good also do not wash with soap/shampoo for at least 48 hours to allow vitamin D to absorb properly. The more we use soaps, creams, shampoos, chemicals)in general on our skin/body the more natural oils we wash off and disturb important skin mechanisms that work hand in hand with sunlight/nature.

Its been proven than sunscreens actually block absorption of vitamin d and many cases is the cause/reaction to the skin cancer itself not the sun but the chemical combination.

Balance is Key

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

Sunlight is far better option because D3 does not have the same results as the source itself. There's much more to sunlight that aids in our health and life than just D3, supplements are good to get the system starting and on the way to vibrant health but prolonged use is not wise because the body becomes used to them and eventually starts to rely on them.

That's fine during the summer.  In the winter the sun isn't strong enough many places.

5 hours ago, Haumea said:

That's fine during the summer.  In the winter the sun isn't strong enough many places.

While this is true, if you are outside even through the clouds you still get some Vitamin D but supplementing in winter is fine just observe how you feel with and without it and see what works best for you :)

B R E A T H E

@Haumea whats the amount of k2 your taking?

basically everything that pluto said. Im not sure where you live, but trying incorporating natto in your diet, if its available. i would def take the 5000 IU

Thats strange that is dropped by so much, was in change in seasons at the time?

whats the amount of k2 your taking?

I'm taking 360 mcg (300% DV) of K2.

Thats strange that is dropped by so much, was in change in seasons at the time?

The blood test was in January, so smack in the middle of winter.

If I relied on sunlight in the winter, I'd be back at 19 again, at least 39 is not too bad. :)

Edited by Haumea