Ayla

What Is The Purpose Of A Guru ?

29 posts in this topic

Person here has had SUCH a resistance to a Guru..!!! 

The being here now though, recognizes the importance of the surrender to the teachings and wisdom and grace of the one guiding to liberation and truth! 

"I" LOVE "YOU" Mooji! 

What is your current view on having a guru ? 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

Having a guru means not having to reinvent the wheel.. I was wondering about this yesterday...  For me Leo is my guru, in mastery there is a quote which says you should surrender to the demands of the instructor and know when to let go... I am confused if I'm closed minded to other gurus or being disciplined by sticking to one..

3 minutes ago, Elton said:

I am confused if I'm closed minded to other gurus or being disciplined by sticking to one..

Mind is trying. You will know when / if you need to move on. :)

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

10 minutes ago, Pinocchio said:

Guru found me. Dragged me into grace kicking and screaming, with a velvet fist. Steadfastly moving towards total surrender at "feet" (of ones own grace really, but personified in guru).

Jesus christ I'm a fucking bhakti now :o

There are so many things that it's so easy to remain stuck on for so long. Now I know the true value of a guru first hand. Maybe not everyone needs a guru, and strictly speaking nobody needs a guru. But the time may come for someone on their specific path where you know it simply can't be avoided anymore.

Letting go is a hell of a thing...

I kinda see it as a celebration and a surrender of "worldly life". No person can kiss the feet of another person without either feeling degraded or sexual :P. When those are transcended, it is a sure sign of a "loss of personhood" taking place. 

On the "other side", the celebration is in the acknowledged "duality" of the "two persons" living here this now, one as teacher, the other as follower.. 

Yin&Yang... forming a perfect sphere 

Hope that makes some sense. 

:x

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

59 minutes ago, Ayla said:

"I" LOVE "YOU" Mooji! 

Chances are probably not but are you in Rishikesh?

"The death of the mind is the birth of wisdom." -- Nisargadatta Maharaj

1 minute ago, ZenMonkey said:

Chances are probably not but are you in Rishikesh?

Not the body, no.. :)

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

8 minutes ago, Pinocchio said:

and grab 'em by the ear every now and then.

or by the nose :P

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

Just now, Pinocchio said:

I never lie...

"I" ? :P

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

3 minutes ago, Ayla said:

Not the body, no.. :)

Okay. :) Just wanted to know then we could have met. "I" love Mooji too! :D 

Siddhartha had an alternative view on guru's.

19 minutes ago, step1 said:

Siddhartha had an alternative view on guru's.

Everything we need to know is already inside us. We can reach enlightenment on our own.

Edited by werlight

20 minutes ago, werlight said:

Everything we need to know is already  inside us. We can reach enlightenment on our own.

Highly unlikely - imo. It's easy to underestimate the grace of a true guru. I don't know of anyone who woke up without any support.

Edited by Toby

7 minutes ago, Toby said:

Highly unlikely - imo. It's easy to underestimate the grace of a true guru. I don't know of anyone who woke up without any support.

Buddha, Ramana Maharshi and Eckhart Tolle for example woke up with only life as their guru.

You can say it like that. I guess there are people who woke up without a guru, I remembered 3-4 examples after I wrote it. But if you look at all the teachers out there, I cannot think of one who wasn't in contact with spiritual teachings or anything like that before they woke up.

1 minute ago, Toby said:

You can say it like that. I guess there are people who woke up without a guru, I remembered 3-4 examples after I wrote it. But if you look at all the teachers out there, I cannot think of one who wasn't in contact with spiritual teachings or anything like that before they woke up.

There are quite a lot I think. You just don't hear of them because they don't know that they are awake. They just sense this peace but don't know what happend to them because they never heard of any spiritual concept. Eckhart Tolle was like this in the beginning.

Eckhart Tolle read books of a mystic during his youth. He did some courses on psychology and philosophy in university. And he did visit several spiritual groups and did the ACIM before his initial awakening - as far as I know. And he also says that Krishnamurti and Ramana helped him immensely for deepening bis understanding and for teaching.

Also, there is a difference between being awake and being enlightened :D ... there's a path between them too 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

Humanity has wasted too much time looking for the truth outside. It's time to look inside. It is the only place where you will find the truth.

Just now, Pinocchio said:

Would you say that maybe the word "lucid" is better than "awake" in the sense that you mean?

one term is no better than another. Just concepts... but between the first experiencing of TRUTH and "full enlightenment", there is a path. Discovering TRUTH is first step. Battling with dying mind is next. Surrendering to TRUTH is next. Merging with God is next. ... etc

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

@Pinocchio

You already know how limited the outer knowledge is here... 

Whatever I mention here... is Grace :) 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com