littleBIG

Domain of mastery - skateboarding?

10 posts in this topic

I purchased the life purpose course 2 years ago but never got to finish it (yeah I'm one of those people) because I was extremely depressed at the time. Over the 2 years I discovered my love for skateboarding. I've never in my life loved something so much. I would go out to skate for hours and hours until my legs and knees fall off. I fall and bleed but I get up and keep going. I've been doing that consistently for over a year. 

But I can't just skate everyday. I need something that makes money so I can pay the bills. I know I'll become decent at skateboarding, but it takes a long time and I don't think i'll become world class at it or good enough to make it my career. So I started watching the life purpose course again to find a purpose that will actually make me money so I can survive. I still haven't finished it yet, but as I was watching the videos about mastery and 10,000 hour rule I thought to myself, that's me!!!! that's me when I'm skating!!! I want to master it so badly!!

So what do you make of this? Do I look for a new purpose that makes money? If not then how can I survive with skateboarding? I'm going to finish the course first, of course. Thanks :)

@littleBIG bro it sounds like you need to skate. Reading your post when you said you think you should find something that you can make money doing made me go, “no no no! You love to skate just keep fucking skating!” Haha fuck trying to make money, that doesn’t end well when that’s your primary focus. 

Can you read any books or watch documentaries on how other skaters have gone pro?

Have you reached out to any brands for sponsorship? 

Social media is big nowadays, you can post skate pics and videos and get a huge following if you market yourself properly. Once you have a following like that there will be companies that want you to promote their skate gear. 

@Slade Haha, I thought about going pro too. I know I will be good at it no doubt, in 10-15 years. But I won't be insane like the pros. They're literally insane. I don't think I'll ever be good enough to go pro. I started skating 2 years ago, I was 18-19, that's late. I'm not the brightest tool in the shed, 2 years and I still haven't gotten the basics down. However, in my head I see that I could maybe be making money off skating when I'm finally good enough (make tutorials, etc).  But this is a very slow process given the physical limitations. I guess the problem boils down to, how am I supposed to pay the bills and survive while I try to get good at skating? 

you can make money with just about anything, just requires creativity and business skills. 

Some options I just thought of: 

Sell skateboarding courses online

Become a skateboarding coach

Open a skateboarding school

By the way, you can even create interest in things that don't initially have interest in them. 

For example, RSD the pickup company, grew the pickup community by massive multiples because they knew how to get people to be interested in their services (a strong understanding of human psyche) 

@littleBIG if you fight for your limitations you get to keep them. There’s athletes that are hitting their peak at 50 years old so I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t go pro. Deliver pizza or something on the side while you get better at what you love. The way I see it is, if I loved skating as much as it sounds like you love it, I’d be fucking doing it 3 hours a day every day and be on the path to mastery. I wouldn’t let anything stop me from doing what I love. 10 years from now I’d be the champ. 

Edited by Slade

2 hours ago, littleBIG said:

I started skating 2 years ago, I was 18-19, that's late

I challenge you to find 10 pros who started that late or even later.

2 hours ago, littleBIG said:

I guess the problem boils down to, how am I supposed to pay the bills and survive while I try to get good at skating? 

Hate to say it, but probably going to have to get a least a part time job.

I would look for something obviously involving skateboarding. Or, look for something involving marketing so you can learn how to promote yourself on social media. Maybe you can even find both.

@Slade Pretty much what I've been doing. Skated on average 4-5 hours a day the past 3 days. My legs are falling off literally :D

@d0ornokey You're right there are a lot of ways I can make money off of it that i never thought of, i'll probably discover more as I progress

@aurum Sorry to say bro there are actually no pros i can find that started skating at 19/20, maybe there are 1 or 2 exceptions. I ain't discouraged tho, as I discovered you don't have to be absolutely master at it to make money. If pro = 10 I'll be happy to be a 7 and I think I'm confident i can get there. 

@littleBIG You should finish the course before asking any more questions. Leo covers a lot in the course, so you might get answers later in the videos without having to use this forum.

But just to answer your question for now, whatever you choose as your domain of mastery must be something you plan to... master. Don't choose skating if you don't plan to master it / become world class. Only choose it if you will be among the pros.

Edited by Robert

The man who changes the world is the man who changes himself.

On 2/20/2018 at 0:47 PM, littleBIG said:

Do I look for a new purpose that makes money?

Yes totally. Former skater here. If you can't skate everyday just forget about it. You will NEVER be a pro. You will never even be ''pretty decent''. Sorry if it is too harsh of an answer, not trying to be a downer. Is just how mastery works. Is not just 10000 hours is 10000 hours straight, when it comes to skateboarding.

Edited by Arcangelo
to