Jackthelad

Comedy, purpose and ego

8 posts in this topic

Going to keep this as simple as I can. Have recently started doing some stand up. I really love it, and think it has potential to be a life purpose for me. I've done the life purpose course before but got stuck around the zone of genius part and never finished it. I am going through it again.

When I did do it though, laughter and humour came up in my strengths and values top 3. I do remember thinking "I wonder if comedy could be a vocation" but assumed I am the wrong type for it. But it was probably the only thing that poped out as being in both of those and therefore likely to be a candidate for LP.

Anyway, now that I've started into it, I see just how much ego is involved in comedy, and how damaged a lot of the people in it are. I am not awoken or anything like that, but I am pursuining consciouness work and working my way through Leo's book list as well.

So one question is, does anyone know what the consequences of becoming enlightened or more awoken might be on a career in comedy, and as well, should you pursue a passion which has a lot of damaged/ broken/ bitter people involved? Who also tend to have desperately unhealthy lifestyles, for the most part, along with a lot of psychological issues, the kind of stuff Leo would cover every week

I have become really fascinated with jokes and the art of comedy and it's really consuming me, so I feel it close to my purpose or at least it matches the things I am interested in, my strengths, values, etc. I think lettiong go of my ego would allow me to be free to express myself without getting damaged through the lack of acceptance, bombing, etc that all comics seem to go through. But if I lost my ego would I think the whole thing was stupid or reductive? 

@Jackthelad I think enlightenment would make you more effective especially if it’s something you’re passionate about. With low conscious comedians making up the majority of that field I don’t doubt that it’s be easier for you to excel.

Im curious, what was your perspective on comedy before you tried it? Humor and playfulness is my top strength from Leo’s life purpose course so I’ve considered comedy but I don’t think I’d really like it, but I don’t want to trick myself either. My top three values revolve more around authentic, beautiful, connection with others.

I love Mooji's humor. A lot of people say jokes to hold onto things and bash one side, but it can also be used to show that our problems might not be so bad.

6 hours ago, Jackthelad said:

So one question is, does anyone know what the consequences of becoming enlightened or more awoken might be on a career in comedy

Could be a huge positive. Comedy requires good timing, not taking things too seriously, expansive energy, speaking the elephant in the room, etc. All things that can come as you wake up and self-actualize.

6 hours ago, Jackthelad said:

should you pursue a passion which has a lot of damaged/ broken/ bitter people involved? Who also tend to have desperately unhealthy lifestyles, for the most part, along with a lot of psychological issues, the kind of stuff Leo would cover every week

If it's important to you, yes. You don't have to be "like them".

In fact, by not being "like them", you'll likely have a far, far more successful career.

@Jackthelad I see awakening and comedy as very compatible. If there are a lot of damaged or broken people in the job, then it would be a good opportunity to help spread higher consciousness. There's nothing like genuine laughter to raise the energy in a room and make people feel at ease, relaxed, and in a higher consciousness state. 

On 15/02/2018 at 3:45 PM, Jackthelad said:

But if I lost my ego would I think the whole thing was stupid or reductive? 

No, not at all, quite the opposite most likely. 

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

On 2/15/2018 at 8:25 PM, Slade said:

@Jackthelad I think enlightenment would make you more effective especially if it’s something you’re passionate about. With low conscious comedians making up the majority of that field I don’t doubt that it’s be easier for you to excel.

Im curious, what was your perspective on comedy before you tried it? Humor and playfulness is my top strength from Leo’s life purpose course so I’ve considered comedy but I don’t think I’d really like it, but I don’t want to trick myself either. My top three values revolve more around authentic, beautiful, connection with others.

It's really some new venture which I'm excited about. Perhaps comedy writing might be perfect, or something similar or with a theme. I wonder if I have more life experience now to draw from and that might give me some more clarity on LP.

My perspective was always "I'd love to be that type of guy" but I don't think it was any more meaningful than looking at a singer and wishing I was a famous/ successful musician. It's not a burning dream I've had for years... but I think it might fit with my strengths and values. It certainly never seemed a reality for me as I assumed my personality was too fragile for it. Honestly, a lot of my growth in the last 2 years has made it a possibility for me.

I wouldn't discount comedy for you if humour and playfulness is your top strength, I mean it could be connected somehow. I'm sure comedy and authentic connection can be mixed together. 

On 2/15/2018 at 10:00 PM, aurum said:

Could be a huge positive. Comedy requires good timing, not taking things too seriously, expansive energy, speaking the elephant in the room, etc. All things that can come as you wake up and self-actualize.

If it's important to you, yes. You don't have to be "like them".

In fact, by not being "like them", you'll likely have a far, far more successful career.

Hey thanks for the reply this was quite helpful!

21 minutes ago, Space said:

@Jackthelad I see awakening and comedy as very compatible. If there are a lot of damaged or broken people in the job, then it would be a good opportunity to help spread higher consciousness. There's nothing like genuine laughter to raise the energy in a room and make people feel at ease, relaxed, and in a higher consciousness state. 

No, not at all, quite the opposite most likely. 

Thanks for your reply. You make some good points!