WildeChilde

What Do You Make of Gurus w/ Magical Powers?

7 posts in this topic

I have really learned a lot from the teachings of a particular spiritual guru, but I'm a bit skeptical of his side hobby.  He calls it shaktipat transmission.  It apparently is supposed to awaken some kind of energy that will help you reach the next stages of enlightenment.  He initiates it primarily during formal ceremonies, but he also does it through the mail and in videos.   I don't know why, but when I hear about these sorts of practices, I feel like it's just a more sophisticated form of this (video below).  I'm from the South (USA), so I'm no stranger to wild displays of religiosity.  However, I don't want to deceive myself into thinking someone has supernatural abilities when they really don't.  Are all of these mainly just the power of suggestion and the placebo effect, or is there really something to them?

"You will soon be going about like the converted, and the revivalist, warning people against all the sins of which you have grown tired."- Oscar Wilde

You don't have to believe they have superpowers.

You don't have to believe they don't have superpowers.

Just be open to the possibility, believing or not believing something is the same thing, it's still you trying to map reality.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Reality is magic, once you learn how to manipulate reality then of course it’s all possible. Irony is that you have to believe that you can do it if you wanna use it. 

I call BS unless I have direct proof.  I'm starting to err on the side of BS and placing the burden of proof of these people making these wild claims.  Most likely an alterior motive.  Almost all explanations become clear when you look at motive -- or likely motive.  People get into spirituality to be significant and to make money off gullible people.  I bet this profession is older than prostitution.  The con man button-holes his prey to earn his pay.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

58 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

I call BS unless I have direct proof.  I'm starting to err on the side of BS and placing the burden of proof of these people making these wild claims.  Most likely an alterior motive.  Almost all explanations become clear when you look at motive -- or likely motive.  People get into spirituality to be significant and to make money off gullible people.  I bet this profession is older than prostitution.  The con-man button-holes his prey to earn his pay.  

You got it buddy...Priests, gurus, psychotherapist, all the same.. People assume they have the goods. And then these goods are sold. Our pockets are picked and own are watches are sold to us?

Edited by Faceless

@Shin What you said there sounds and feels very liberating.  Thank you.

"You will soon be going about like the converted, and the revivalist, warning people against all the sins of which you have grown tired."- Oscar Wilde

@Monkey-man Human history seems to support that as well.  Can you imagine the number of naysayers 200 years ago who laughed at the idea of flying and traveling through space?  Donald Trump is the President; tell me that’s not magic.