eskwire

Trip Report: Meditation during trip to the ER

5 posts in this topic

....and here is a story about being free.

I was "bouldering" today (walking and climbing around on big rocks) in a pretty controlled environment. Like the spazz that I am, I slipped and SHATTERED my ankle.

It took the ER a little under 2 hours to give me pain medication. Meditation (Vipassana specifically) worked like a CHARM during this period of intense Hell - when a nurse, doc, or administrator interrupted my meditation to ask me the same 5 questions 16 times, my entire body shook in pain. It looked like a seizure. While meditating, nothing like that. I was contented.

I continued to meditate throughout the day. My roommate commented a few times on how stoic I was through all of this, including being told I needed surgery and having huge needles stuck into my crazy swollen ankle. The hospital staff was happy to joke and laugh with us, and thanked me for my patience with them. 

This practice of Vipassana has done incredible things in my life, for my former alcohol addiction, and now the ability to look at this event as a series of mental exercises. I am so grateful for Vipassana and wanted to express that to y'all. I hope that if you have ever considered going, you will take the plunge and do it.

Edited by eskwire

nothing is anything

4 hours ago, eskwire said:

....and here is a story about being free.

I was "bouldering" today (walking and climbing around on big rocks) in a pretty controlled environment. Like the spazz that I am, I slipped and SHATTERED my ankle.

It took the ER a little under 2 hours to give me pain medication. Meditation (Vipassana specifically) worked like a CHARM during this period of intense Hell - when a nurse, doc, or administrator interrupted my meditation to ask me the same 5 questions 16 times, my entire body shook in pain. It looked like a seizure. While meditating, nothing like that. I was contented.

I continued to meditate throughout the day. My roommate commented a few times on how stoic I was through all of this, including being told I needed surgery and having huge needles stuck into my crazy swollen ankle. The hospital staff was happy to joke and laugh with us, and thanked me for my patience with them. 

This practice of Vipassana has done incredible things in my life, for my former alcohol addiction, and now the ability to look at this event as a series of mental exercises. I am so grateful for Vipassana and wanted to express that to y'all. I hope that if you have ever considered going, you will take the plunge and do it.

I meditated in hospital after taking rat poison. It was very peaceful.  The old folk next to my bed was praying almost constantly out loud.

It was when Leo posted the self enquiry advanced tips video. I still remember looking out the window while watching that video and the beautiful view. Magical. What is actual.

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

11 hours ago, nahtanoj said:

Can you explain the details of your meditation? 

It's Vipassana. Have you heard of the free 10 day retreats? It is best to learn the technique there rather than try to read instructions or learn it second-hand.

It's essentially a concentration practice, followed by a body scan. The method is taught in layers at those retreats and they put you in an environment where you make huge changes and get established in the practice.

I met a lot of people from Florida at the Southeast Vipassana Center - Dhamma Patapa - in Jesup, Georgia. Have you ever considered going?

Edited by eskwire

nothing is anything