Ollie

My Family Are Lower Consciousness

9 posts in this topic

I live at home with my parents and brothers, and I love them. However, they are classic lower conscious. eg. earlier on I had my mum saying nutella has more nutritional value than the gogi berries I eat, because nutella has hazelnuts in. My self actualisation journey seems to harm my relationship with them because I look down on their addictive comfort seeking behaviours, which they identify with, so they get offended. How can I heal my relationship with my family and friends whilst going all out on my personal development journey?

Accept that you cannot change them and that you will not bring them to a higher consciousness. When you can accept this, you will become more at peace and less frustrated with the situation. Also, continue to learn from them. They still may have wisdom that you don't have, and you can also learn from their bad qualities (for learning things not to do).

Edited by Clay Curl

Hello, I know this can be a touchy thing, but ultimately it's what it is. Eventually you'll have to just be okay with doing your thing yourself and leading as an example. Those who are interested in your path will start showing interest, then you can try and advice them, but you can't do much for people who don't know better than to stay stuck in their current thoughts, beliefs and ideals.

Remember that people are mirrors. What disturbs you in your family members has to do with your own feelings and thoughts about what they do rather than the thing they do itself. Since the unknown is often scary, your family is naturally resisting your new direction, but just like them, you are resisting your family's resistance to your new direction.

You'll find the people you're supposed to meet, you can learn from everyone and every thing that crosses ways with you.

When you change, your life changes, the things around you change.

That's what it means to evolve.

Stand your ground, you have your own opinion on life and it's ways, you don't have to justify anything. Be assertive and go your own way, when the time comes they will respect you for that and if not: you don't depend on their opinion. 

I have the same issue. I resent my family, for dozens of things. I've made two bigger attempts to honestly express that resentment. The first time I got called "manipulative" and the second time "ungrateful". I don't know what the fucking solution is, or if there even is one. To give up thinking they should be different and do this and not do that would probably be a good step. Give up trying to justify what you do, is another thing. Its useless to get caught up in arguments over petty shit.

I too tend to look down and find faults (I don't really say them straight to their faces since I don't like conflict.)  on my friends, society and family's behaviours because they are "low conscious". But I realised that it was not a good thing to do. Because I am focusing on the negative aspect and finding faults in them. Which doesn't do me any good for me except make my ego stronger. Just like leo said, when you see the unconscious behaviours in others and ask yourself how am I doing the same thing in my life. Access yourself on what areas you are still lacking and need to improve. Use the people to grow you. See them as a reminder for you to keep doing self-actualisation work. 

Approach them with compassion. It's time to practice loving acceptance towards people. (you are not really accepting their behaviours but the actual people.) When you don't accept the unconscious behaviours in people, you create frustrations in yourself which just makes you suffer. If you have to point things out to people, do it with compassion, not teachy-preachy style. 

Listen to you mum, she's totally right. Goji berries are a scam. Now get out with your 'high consciousness' shenanigans and eat your nutella sandwich.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

Welcome to life. Where everyone's family is guaranteed to be fucked up in some way.

Focus on your life purpose and your self-mastery. Don't stick your nose too much in other people's business. Let them eat Nutella sandwiches while you gleefully nibble gogi berries. Practice UNCONDITIONAL LOVE and COMPASSION for those people who stand in your way.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

When you love yourself you overflow with love. That will make it much easier not to focus on the faults of others. When they notice how compassionate and loving you treat them (as you do yourself), they will naturally become more interested in what made you this way. Only then will you be able to help them. Remember, when you don't like something you see in others, it is always because you see it in yourself (or because you fear that you do/might) & are resistant to it. Accept yourself first. Become the change you want to see in the world.