David1

Ayahuasca Retreat?

29 posts in this topic

Does anybody have any experience with an ayahuasca retreat?. I've been planning to do this for some time, but there seem to be so many. I first thought of going to Peru, but now i'm in doubt about Brazil. I'd like to take the opportunity to see more of the country while i'm there ofcourse. So does anyone have experience travelling in South America? What country would you recommend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you think you will get from this experience with Ayahuasca? Why do you want to travel this far to experience it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, David1 said:

Does anybody have any experience with an ayahuasca retreat?. I've been planning to do this for some time, but there seem to be so many. I first thought of going to Peru, but now i'm in doubt about Brazil. I'd like to take the opportunity to see more of the country while i'm there ofcourse. So does anyone have experience travelling in South America? What country would you recommend?

I'd say read @Emerald Wilkins's experience first, maybe you'll change your mind (-: Or maybe not, but I think it's worth considering.

 

Edited by Jan Odvarko

Read it all, tried it all, can't remember any of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@David1

I posted about it on this forum before. There are many types of Ayahuasca which affect you all in a different way.

So here are my experience and recommendations I hope it will help you:

 

 

 

I highly recommend this video up from 1:16:25. It's about drugs and self-realisation. I made the same experiences he describes and i can totally agree.

I used Mushrooms and Ayahuasca. Especially Ayahuasca can turn your whole world view upside down. I could literally see peoples egos, know their life story, see their emotional body etc. I was out of my body which nearly freaked me out, i experienced life as one of my family members, and had long moments (5-6 hours that felt like 10 minutes) in ecstasy.

To some this might sound attractive, scary or worth trying, but i would never recommend it to anyone. If you need to see these things it will anyway happen.

What i want to stress is:

Humans everyday conciousness is in such a way that he is able to survive on this planet in his physical form. What psychadelics like Aya will show you is that there are infinite levels of conciousness that can perceive this world. So you can meet anything possible, talk to holy beings in the realm of gods or whatever. But you can never expect such things, Aya shows you only the stuff you are capable of handling. It confronts you directly with all your suppressed subconcious AND the collective unconcious of the world. This might for many people be more painful and frightening than they could ever imagine.

 

For those whose calling it is to experience these realms i want to give some advice. Please take it deep into your heart:

  • You need to have done quite some work on yourself, you have to be comfortable with yourself alone (some spiritual maturity)
  • It has nothing to do with enlightenment - enlightenment is NOT a state of mind
  • SETTING is MOST important (it should be a complete fearless environment, you should trust the shaman and the crew around 100%!, workshop should be at minimum 3-4 days)
  • Whatever happens during the ceremony (it can seem that you will die!) DON'T resist, no resistance at all, LOVE EVERYTHING!! that comes up
  • Don't do it unless you can't do otherwise

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dhana Choko said:

What do you think you will get from this experience with Ayahuasca? Why do you want to travel this far to experience it?

I think i will get a deeper insight in my own mind and behaviour. I have experience with psilocybin mushrooms and those experiences are the reason i'm on a self developement path now. It helped me alot in the past, and because of people like Graham Hancock, Terence Mckenna...i'm curious about DMT and ayahusca. I want to travel that far, first of all because i think the jungle is the natural setting for ayahusca, and i know how important setting is when taking psychedelics, and secondly because i like to travel and South America is 'terra incognito' for me.

 

6 hours ago, Emerald Wilkins said:

I haven't been to an Ayahuasca retreat but I've tried it twice. I have two bits of advice. Number one, make sure the shaman you do the Ayahuasca retreat with is legitimate. There have been some shady shamans giving quasi-poisonous plants in their Ayahuasca mixes like Toe. There have been reports of deaths and even rapes while under the influence. So, make sure you research the retreat well. Remember that shamans are regular people too.

Thanks for the advice :). I've read your previous posts. I'm very aware, and concerned, about  the importance of the shaman. And the precence of other people. Because of previous bad experiences i had, i don't like other people around while under the influence of psychedelics. How did it go with you? Were there other people around?

 

7 hours ago, Emerald Wilkins said:

Also, don't try to apply insights that you receive under the influence of Ayahuasca in the sober state.

I don't get what you mean by this. The whole point for me is, to use the insights i get to improve my life. To become aware of certain behaviours and beliefs that are not serving me, and to change them. Maybe you mean relegious or spiritual insights? Well, i learned to shut up about them. Because, well you know...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never taken drugs so I cant add any valuable insights on the subject.

 I do however relate to the "wanting to replicate the experience" thing.

These experiences are so powerful and so breathtaking that is normal and understandable that you would want to replicate them.

With time I learned that trying to replicate an experience is actually a form of resistance. You resist what is. My advice would be to try to remain as present as posible.

Stay in the now Emerald ! Thats the only place you can find what you are looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would just add that Love is a very powerful natural drug. It will take you to enlightment and it will heal you !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After doing some research, i've decided to do a shorter retreat in The Netherlands first. Much closer to home and probably more safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@David1 Why must one travel to arrive?


When the secret is revealed to you, you will know that you are not other than God, but that you yourself are the object of your quest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@David1 Are you familiar with Carlos Castaneda?


When the secret is revealed to you, you will know that you are not other than God, but that you yourself are the object of your quest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, David1 said:

@cetus56 No, never read anything by him. Any recommendations?

@David1

 


When the secret is revealed to you, you will know that you are not other than God, but that you yourself are the object of your quest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why go to all the trouble of going to a retreat when you can just have the stuff @ home with some of your buddies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Psychonaut said:

Why go to all the trouble of going to a retreat when you can just have the stuff @ home with some of your buddies?

İ've had some bad experiences in the past, doing psychedelics with friends. İ can understand taking a recreational dose with buddies, but for the real deal, i prefer to do them 'the Mckenna way', or at least with people who know how to handle a person under the influence of psychedelics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@David1 What could possibly go wrong? 9_9:D

I haven't had any bad/negative experiences with psychedelics yet. 

Can't you just do it on your own? Don't you just kind of turn into a potato after taking DMT - unable to move?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Psychonaut said:

What could possibly go wrong? 9_9:D

Yeah, a whole range of things can go wrong. Sometimes people can (unwillingly) trigger a bad trip. It can be very small things like saying something that gets misinterpreted, trying to engage in conversation at the wrong time, putting on the wrong music or just giving off a bad vibe.

1 hour ago, Psychonaut said:

Can't you just do it on your own? Don't you just kind of turn into a potato after taking DMT - unable to move?

I'm not going to take an unfamiliar substance for the first time alone...Ayahuasca is very different than smoking DMT as i understand. I've read some DMT reports and it sounds more like a salvia trip to me. It only lasts 10-15 min. I've never done it though. I did do salvia a few times, and that is most certainly not something you want to do alone. The ego loss comes on so fast that i had the tendency to panic. It's very dissociative...not for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David1 said:

Yeah, a whole range of things can go wrong. Sometimes people can (unwillingly) trigger a bad trip. It can be very small things like saying something that gets misinterpreted, trying to engage in conversation at the wrong time, putting on the wrong music or just giving off a bad vibe.

I'm not going to take an unfamiliar substance for the first time alone...Ayahuasca is very different than smoking DMT as i understand. I've read some DMT reports and it sounds more like a salvia trip to me. It only lasts 10-15 min. I've never done it though. I did do salvia a few times, and that is most certainly not something you want to do alone. The ego loss comes on so fast that i had the tendency to panic. It's very dissociative...not for me.

Hi David. I'm no expert on this by any means but reading that you have the tendency to panic at sudden ego loss, be careful. From what I've read this stuff is some strong medicine. Be ready to let everything go. And I mean EVERYTHING! Any resistance will only bring torment as you know. My advice is get yourself prepared. Lots of mental preparation of that all important, letting go. Practice ego death now on your own terms. Over and over until nothing remains.


When the secret is revealed to you, you will know that you are not other than God, but that you yourself are the object of your quest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@cetus56 Thanks for your concern, but i'm not likely gonna do salvia anymore. Like i said, it is too dissociative. I didn't remember anything of my life anymore...nothing. I didn't even remember i was a human being. It seems to totally wipe your memory. It is very different from shrooms. On shrooms, ego loss is more mild and gradual and you have to surrender and let go. Not with salvia...that just grabs your ego and shreds it to bits. Scary. You have to have big balls to do salvia more then a couple times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, David1 said:

@cetus56 Thanks for your concern, but i'm not likely gonna do salvia anymore. Like i said, it is too dissociative. I didn't remember anything of my life anymore...nothing. I didn't even remember i was a human being. It seems to totally wipe your memory. It is very different from shrooms. On shrooms, ego loss is more mild and gradual and you have to surrender and let go. Not with salvia...that just grabs your ego and shreds it to bits. Scary. You have to have big balls to do salvia more then a couple times.

@David1 I don't know salvia but you can expect what you've described from Ayahuasca too. I remember being 100% conscious and trying to think of who i am. Who my parents are, where i was born, who my friends are etc. And i couldn't think of any of that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now