h inandout

Consciousness instructor

7 posts in this topic

So, all of us millenials are isolating ourselves, and struggling to find support networks.  That's why I wanna teach fun community classes about any subject like say: curiosity, budgeting the fun way, how the body actually works, how the mind actually works.  I have a mind that can penetrate deeply into a variety of subjects, usually socially oriented ones.  I am also pretty decent at seeing through people's limitations.  Maybe it's like being a life coach, but also more like a social facilitator.  Does this sound like a service people would pay for?  How much per class would you charge at first? 

@h inandout

Sounds like you're talking about running seminars or workshops. That's a proven business model, provided you really do your homework on marketing.

I'd study people in the personal developement field who are great at running seminars. Tony Robbins or T Harv Eker come to mind. I'd also start attending a lot of seminars and / or get a job with a company that hosts them. That will be great training for you.

Like any other kind of teaching profession, it seems people wanna see evidence of credentials before trusting you.  So, because you’re basically inventing your own curriculum, you’re gonna be asking people to open their wallets without really knowing what they will be getting for the money.  That’s a risky up front proposition.  I’m not saying that’s a deal breaker, it’s just you might have a tough sales and marketing burden on the front end.  But if this is a true passion of yours, you’ll find a way to make it work.

Have you done Leo’s Life Purpose Course yet?

@Joseph Maynor You are absolutely right.  I am working on getting some credentials under my belt, but they are expensive and I have exhausted my financial resources as far as I'm aware.  I'm already in debt from a failed engineering degree and a science teaching post-bacc.  The life situations that caused me to fail so miserably are no longer a part of my life, but the resulting in-debtedness is cripling in so many ways.  The suffering itself caused me to look deeply into how one goes about fixing their life and living it happily, so I feel like I have a LOT to offer.  I did take the life purpose course about 9 months ago.  After having failed two careers, this time I picked something I actually felt passionate about: singing and healing.  It turns out though, that I have way too many health problems to sing.  So I spent the last bit of money I had available on a Clinical Ayurveda class, which, as it turns out, doesn't qualify you for anything unless you pair it with a massage or yoga teacher training.  I think my new purpose would definitely line up with studying and teaching Ayurveda, buuuut, manifesting that dream is gonna be a real trick for me.  I am soooo tired of crappy jobs that don't pay enough for me to even meet my basic needs, but the reality is that most companies don't want me.  My answer right now is to just go home and expose all my indebtedness to my family, and I guess that means they get to have a say in what steps I take next, which I kinda hate, because they are icky closed minded suburban people, and we've had terrible fights in the past.  But I could be wrong about how closed minded they are, so I guess I will have to take that chance.  Having done all this consciousness work, I should be able to not get triggered this time, right?  I think you're right, that I will find a way to make it work.  There are gonna be so many hurdles, so I will have to be ridiculously creative and persistent and confident.  This is really all I have.  My being literally doesn't work in mainstream society.

@aurum Good call on trying to support existing self-help seminars.  I am worried that it will be too competitive trying to get in (story of my life!).  I'm also ridiculously dry on resources, which can be hard to hide when pursuing a higher calling.  There are a lot of catch 22's I'm starting to notice in my life, which could be good because it means I've started to learn enough to leave that karmic cycle.  So who knows, maybe someone else will care to hire me.  I think an interesting phenomena that this is bringing up for me is that I have all the spiritual education, but can't compete with expectations set for me, especially in the very egoically competative realm of self-help.  Meanwhile I'm so sweet that I tend to attract a lot of lost souls, and I can see so deeply into them, that I can help them uproot some deep deep nastiness.  It's like I'm a street therapist of sorts.   Maybe if I get a therapist myself (should be free with state insurance?) I can work around my fears of applying for jobs.  I've applied for so many that failure has become my story, so  maybe a therapist will help me suspend my limiting beliefs and be able to manifest external validation.  I know that was a lot of stuff unrelated to what you said, but I have a lot to process.  I have one of those super convoluted lives, which is just gods way of fashioning me into a finer instrument, I know.

I made a page about the consciousness instructor idea in the Actualization Journals Forum, if you'd like to follow.  

I should probably mention for the sake of completion that I got caught up with a boyfriend who was a pathological liar, a control freak, and who had Crohn's disease.  I don't at all want this to become my woe is me story!!!  I cut him off completely, but undeniably the three years I spent with him put me into a huge amount of psychological pain and financial debt.   I recognize completely now how he snaked his way into my psyche and made me pity him enough to throw away my life trying to help him.  I am not falling for a black hole like that ever again.  I would like to live a life that uses my experiences from that very dark time to contribute to the world.  Rather that just giving up and doing the only crappy jobs I can find.  I've also had to take a significant step back from my life and from society in general to understand how hell is created.  I have a basic picture in my head of how I was programed as a child in such a way that made me make choices that brought me to a deep dark abyss.  One of my problems is that I'm really just that compassionate.  I see deeply enough into people that I can trace most people's suffering back several generations!   So if I'm one of the only people who cares about people who are hurting on the deepest levels, then how can I find nourishment myself!?  Nobody want to give money to someone who just wants to freelance helping people!  So, I will have to accept that there has to be some sort of structure to my pursuits.  I think that structure should be built on a foundation of my piercing intuition and my willingness to investigate deeply.

@Nahm Well, consciousness is sure doin somethin!  A lot of definitions have the commonality of awareness, but I think it's so much more than that.  Something quite poetic.  I'm curious what your response would look like?

Yes, I see some irony in everything I do.  Or perhaps you might call it paradox.

I feel it is my dignified duty to go out there and say some outrageous things that might make people hate me or love me, but at least gets them thinking more broadly.  The whole 100% responsibility concept always brings up some fun backlash.  I suppose no thought is also an interesting trick to pull off.

Why do this?  Probably because I associate consciousness work with some form of survival mechanism.  But who cares!?  It's fun!  Am I going to hurt people?  I don't know.  At least I'll be enjoying myself because I've already taken responsibility for my own happiness!

Edited by h inandout