Girzo

Social Status Guidelines

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I have compiled a short list of traits that high social status people have. You can use it to better judge your position in a group or decide on what action to take.

Behaviours That Increase YOUR Status

• decisions making
  • minimal reaction to others' behaviour
  • talking freely
  • taking responsibility
  • staring into people's eyes
  • straightened up posture
  • easy and effortless movements
  • looking down on people

Behaviours That Decrease YOUR Status

• backing down, asking for permission, advice
  • being overly reactive
  • avoiding eye contact and responsibility
  • seeking validation for yourself, your opinions
  • boasting and bragging
  • stepping out of the way
  • apologizing for everything

Behaviours That Decrease SOMEONE'S Status

• pointing out mistakes
  • interrupting someone
  • sarcastic praise
  • giving commands
  • giving permission
  • evaluating others (both positively and negatively)
  • negating somebody's opinion
  • totally ignoring the other person
  • forcing someone to wait, change opinion, admit mistake

Behaviours That Increase SOMEONE'S Status

• asking for permission
  • agreeing with that someone
  • asking for opinion
  • careful listening
  • excessive courtesy
  • saying thanks
  • expressing respect

I am curious if you would like to add something to the list or you disagree with sth that's currently on it.

Edited by Girzo

Looking down on people, makes people dislike you.

Also agreeing with people is not going to increase someone's status. Confidently stating your own and allowing other to have different opinions will increase someone's status. Asking for approval is in my opinion seen as weak and insecure and therefor not something that raises ones status.

...and so on and so on.

Edited by Spiral

23 minutes ago, Spiral said:

Asking for approval

Thanks for pointing out. I have used wrong word here, changed to "permission", now it has a slightly different meaning.

4 hours ago, Girzo said:

Thanks for pointing out. I have used wrong word here, changed to "permission", now it has a slightly different meaning.

This list at least to me feels like a list especially for people whom lack social status completely, so from 0% to x%. 

I mean it's better not to ask for permission at all rather then for everything. To get to the really high levels you need social awareness to pick carefully which question you should ask.

Not asking can come off as selfish and inconsiderate. Especially when it comes to others insecurities.

Edited by Spiral

Being your full authentic self -> Increases your social status

Making lists about how to boost your social status -> Lowers your social status

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

I am amazed that it has triggered you guys and can't disagree more with what you are saying. I think you are misunderstading what this list is.

It's not a set of rules that one has to neurotically comply with, but guidelines that make you aware where your interaction is going and how to alter it's direction.

It's a basic chimp stuff and it will happen to you whether you like it or not. People do these things unconsciously. Knowing the tricks, you can act in adequate manner when someone is using them on you. It's not only an offensive tool, but also defensive.

@Girzo Sorry if I came off as angry or upset. I just find this topic as more complex than you made it out to be. For me this kind of stuff also comes of as dishonest, just like pickup tactics.

If it makes any better, I also disagree with "Being your full authentic self -> Increases your social status" as this also is true to some degree,but very situational.

A desperate, socially awkward person would instead benefit from gaining attachment and improve their social skills. Also they would benefit just follow the guidelines you made, rather than being their authentic self (at least directly). 

Still, I think that being your authentic self also can decrease your social status / make you an outcast. Being a part of the masses though, especially being pretty, smart, having charisma, connections and attending parties can increase your social status.

I don't know if I've misunderstood, but social status is kind of dumb... Especially in high school. What matters is how you feel about your life when you eventually die. That's at least what I think (I think).

On 11/26/2017 at 1:11 PM, Girzo said:

Hi, I have compiled a short list of traits that high social status people have. You can use it to better judge your position in a group or decide on what action to take.

Behaviours That Increase YOUR Status

• decisions making
  • minimal reaction to others' behaviour
  • talking freely
  • taking responsibility
  • staring into people's eyes
  • straightened up posture
  • easy and effortless movements
  • looking down on people

Behaviours That Decrease YOUR Status

• backing down, asking for permission, advice
  • being overly reactive
  • avoiding eye contact and responsibility
  • seeking validation for yourself, your opinions
  • boasting and bragging
  • stepping out of the way
  • apologizing for everything

Behaviours That Decrease SOMEONE'S Status

• pointing out mistakes
  • interrupting someone
  • sarcastic praise
  • giving commands
  • giving permission
  • evaluating others (both positively and negatively)
  • negating somebody's opinion
  • totally ignoring the other person
  • forcing someone to wait, change opinion, admit mistake

Behaviours That Increase SOMEONE'S Status

• asking for permission
  • agreeing with that someone
  • asking for opinion
  • careful listening
  • excessive courtesy
  • saying thanks
  • expressing respect

I am curious if you would like to add something to the list or you disagree with sth that's currently on it.

Posture is a huge one. 

When I was 15 I started to hunch. So my mom got me going to this lady that specialized in body posture. 

Doing sommany of this exercise so many of that. All very exact. Push ups, sit ups etc. And after that class it was like walking in a corset. Would be walking straight up. And then that would slowly want off during the week. She had me doing those exercises at home as well. 

Looking back that's probably the first time in my life that I went really hard at self-development. 

I still have very good posture now. Walking straight up. It definitely communicates Alphaness. 

It really did strike me a while back. I had pulled a muscle in my back and I was walking around all cripple and hunched trough the supermarket. And people were straight up disrespectful. Like going in front of me in line. Not letting me pass in the ile. Shit like that. 

Posture makes a huge difference in how you get to interact with your surroundings.