Joel3102

Case study of Hermitage - Chris Knight

9 posts in this topic

Just listened to an interesting podcast on Chris Knight. The guy who spent 27 years alone in the woods. He is apparently he most solitude human being the podcast guest could find in all his research. They mention in this episode that he seemed far more content with his life than most "normal" people, he spent most of his time doing "nothing", and he never got bored nor even understood the concept. Also, rather than feeling alone, he felt connected to the whole universe, and after a while, he wasn't sure "where he and the forest began".

Ultimate case study of lifestyle minimalism :P perhaps he was seeking enlightenment without knowing it? 

Here's the link for those interested: 

https://www.artofmanliness.com/2017/11/21/last-true-hermit/

Edited by Joel3102

@Joel3102  @Leo Gura mentioned it recently, but your post reminded me of that show Life Below Zero. It’s worth a watch. Those people are living every moment on the edge. So simple and enlightening. They would get a hell of a belly laugh outta our convo’s I bet. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm What's interesting about Life Below Zero is that even though those people live isolated, their lives are basically identical to the average mediocre lifestyle: 24/7 survival mode. Surviving in NY or in Alaska is the exact same fundamental thing. Survival is relentless, no matter where and how you do it. Those people are still clueless about nonduality.

Yes, being out in nature is nice and refreshing, but nonduality is far superior, and it doesn't matter where you do it. You can do it in a giant city.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura I just wonder how one could become interested in nonduality without access to the Internet, books or teachers? 

It seems a birth right to self inquire but simultaneously if you have no options other than to listen to other people's dogma then how can it be done? Is it possible I wonder? 

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

@The White Belt

" During a talk about the "3 Jobs of the Human Condition" (Appreciate, Transcend, Improve) while giving examples of Transcendence in different spiritual traditions, someone asked Shinzen, "What about Tribal?" This is his response. "

And of course, suffering also helps.

Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all of the barriers within yourself that you have built against it 

- A Course in Miracles

15 hours ago, The White Belt said:

@Leo Gura I just wonder how one could become interested in nonduality without access to the Internet, books or teachers? 

On his deathbed the Buddha said: "Listen closely my disciples. I have strived so hard to overcome death, but I have failed, because I did not have access to internet."

20 hours ago, The White Belt said:

It seems a birth right to self inquire but simultaneously if you have no options other than to listen to other people's dogma then how can it be done? Is it possible I wonder? 

If there are two, there is a teacher. If there’s only one, you wouldn’t be asking. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Leo Gura Hehe. Silly. But he did have knowledge of Hinduism. Living in the spiritual capital of the world, and he did study with various teachers and ascetics. So stick that up your sarcasm! ;)

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

@The White Belt By your silly logic enlightenment would be impossible because there would always have to be someone who discovers it first, without any teachers or books.