egoless

Commonplace Book Mega Thread

143 posts in this topic

I am finally ready to reign in my cluttered notetaking into an ordered system.

I decided i want to use one note 2010 and store locally just like Leo suggested. Im looking at a dedicated laptop for this. Im thinking 11.6" because i can carry it everywhere and i need to get one with storage space. I found several with great ratings, 4gb ram, and 128gb SSD for $300-400.

Is that enough space? How much storage do you need to backup a large one note library locally? I have a feeling @Leo Gura would know this best because he is storing a large Common place book locally whereas most arent from what i am reading.

I also looked into 128 gb, 256 gb and 512gb SD cards to "expand" the storage capacity by mounting the SD card to the harddrive which seems much cheaper than a 500gb 11.6" laptop that could run $800 or $1000. I think this will actually work but im not an expert maybe that wont work for this application.

My main concern at this point i guess is getting enough RAM, gwtting enough storage, and not breaking the bank. I don't have $1000 to drop on a dedicated laptop. I can do $400 though. 

I maybe overthinking this. Please let me know what you think?

On 6/8/2019 at 9:13 PM, Raphael said:

I just want to share another tool that I'm using now, it's called Notion and it's awesome

Awesome piece of shit, rather.

What could be awesome about software which is a) paid b) close-sourced c) works only in browser?

Nothing. That's precisely software one should never choose.

They'd raise a price one day and what would you do? And they have access to all of your notes.

You have no control whatsoever.

Edited by rnd

I use linux and my commonplace is on Cherrytree. It is a very underrated software, cross-platform. It is better than evernote in my opinion.

- It has powerful seach function

- You can add images and rich text

- You can do almost everything as Onenote. Except for the drawing function and the mindmaps.

- It is very stable and runs fast in not-so-powerful computers