egoless

Farming As The Life Purpose

31 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@egoless Careful not to get distracted here.

What is the impact you want to have on humanity/world?

Will farming serve this impact?

If not, it's not part of your LP.

For my very end goal I was thinking to establish special school for gifted and more introverted children. Growing as an introvert modern school systems were not suitable for me to develop my self in the best possible way. I had friends and I was pretty popular in the school maybe because I was so mystical idk. But... I still struggled to integrate with systematic and close minded study process. In my school heavy emphasize will be on personal development, psychology, understanding emotions, developing personality understanding and finally the consciousness work. instead of breaks there will be meditation sessions with instructors teaching children how to meditate properly. I also want to teach them how to find suitable career and develop their skills specifically towards this career in the ending classes. This is what kind of impact I want to make. But I will do it when I get more older and little bit wiser :) About farming though I just find it very pleasant work to do in addition to consciousness work. Working with nature helps me to calm and still my mind. I also like to analyse markets and supply demand trends for agriculture products. Right now I like the idea of mushroom farm. Impact with farming could be delivering organic and healthy food to society.

Edited by egoless

@egoless Take your end goal, and make it your life purpose starting tomorrow.

You can farm mushrooms in the afterlife.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@egoless Take your end goal, and make it your life purpose starting tomorrow.

You mean to actually start doing it? Right now I am studying abroad. But I am constantly thinking about those two. I am doing research and developing my plan for the future.

Edited by egoless

Currently I am working on a farming project. For someone else and there are lots of interpersonal problems that make progress a lot harder. Conflicting goals and ways of working. But right now I try to figure out what it is that I do not like with working for someone else. 

I do not want to run away from something that is an opportunity to grow. Just as Leo once mentioned, just becoming self-employed does not solve the problems I have with working with and for someone else. There is probably some underlying issue in my own psyche that I could also deal with and grow from it. 

But it is really difficult when you see how unconscious the decisions of your boss are. Is it then worth to stay and work for that person? I do not know right now...

But on the farming part I can say that it really is hard work and you have to like it. The most important thing is to find a good way to produce while working with nature and not against it. And many farming practices are stupid, even if they call themselves to be part of permaculture principles.

@egoless

"Knowledge is limitless, your life is not, if you value knowledge you will be in trouble." Chuangtzu.

Having said that I which would you prefer growing "vegetables" or "people"?

Have the same MBTI (INTP), imo that inferior extroverted feeling can be a right pain, swap it and "Enter the Dragon" ENTJ executive.

An interesting video series I have seen on Youtube by Urbanfarmer Curtis Stone. Showed growing salads mostly in Kelowna. I have done some backpacking in Canada including Kelowna, now Kelowna is a pretty expensive upmarket city 2nd or 3rd most expensive in Canada, I think the first is Vancouver. So if you went down the vegetable route pick a wealthy market to sell to, take advantage of "marginal utility" In the UK(it sucks, yeah could be worse) where I live most of the time, some farmers have 10,000 acres the former PM Father in law 140,000 acres. Can be between £50-400 a ton for potatoes of varying quality purchased from a farmer direct, probably cheaper than that in The Netherlands. So unless you are going to be refining a product or selling into London, commercially questionable imho. Obviously everywhere is different and I find it interesting to get different perspectives, on different places.

On the people side, perhaps start with teaching people English ad hoc or whatever.

Imho avarice for new knowledge or entertaining things can be a huge pitfall for INTP, but the greater one is vanity (perhaps it is a big problem for all personalities speculating really).

The "Don't Ask Other People What Your Life Purpose Should Be!" I thought was very poignant. Which if you do is a form of vanity, "Vanity is the fear of appearing original: it is thus a lack of pride, but not necessarily a lack of originality."- Nietzsche

@RichardY

Join our community and let's get it started. We INTPs need to stick together and support each other. We have hard time integrating with this world. Back to the subject though, did you find your life purpose? How did you find it. My main problem with my INTP personality is that I get bored rather quickly in certain subjects. I started my career in Finance but I got rather bored after I acquired some knowledge and understanding. I am in the constant search of novelty. Novelty and knowledge thirst are my drugs and I am addicted. 

I have friends and family that are farmers...it is an insane amount of work with little financial reward, but massive emotional reward....I am so grateful to be able to get fresh local organic food grown with such love and dedication! Most farmers have to do other things too, from kids summer camps about growing food to side firewood businesses, to renting spaces for RV parking...it requires a bit of an inventive mind to make ends meet....but you'd eat like indigenous royalty, be in awesome physical form, and feel rewarded in other ways....it takes a certain type of person to really have the drive to do it....are you that person?

@Epiphany_Inspired I don't know. But I find the idea of agricultural business very interesting and emotionally rewarding as you said. I just don't understand why this business is considered low profitable. This is food industry and there is always great demand on food. Why do farmers struggle to make ends meet?!

Edited by egoless

On 11/7/2017 at 7:11 PM, egoless said:

You mean to actually start doing it?

To find your life purpose means that you start working on it the very next day. Babysteps at first, but still!

You're treating this too hypothetically.

Notice that when you're not aligned with your LP, you're wasting your time.

You can go to school, but then school must be a part of your LP. Otherwise why are you doing it??

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

To find your life purpose means that you start working on it the very next day. Babysteps at first, but still!

You're treating this too hypothetically.

Notice that when you're not aligned with your LP, you're wasting your time.

You can go to school, but then school must be a part of your LP. Otherwise why are you doing it??

I am lost here - if Enlightenment notion is true and we don't exist as separate self than why LP should be connected to contributing to the world? Enlightenment makes it meaningless somehow and that's sad. Does that mean that Finance can't be considered as someone's LP because there is little contribution to the world in this career?

@egoless Goldsmithing is quite labour intensive too....but, if you become a master, you are usually well-paid-ish (good luck getting an apprenticeship though).... I guess it's just that our culture is so used to paying very little for cheaper crappy food - trucked in from who knows where  - that rad organic farmers struggle to get the value returned for their massive efforts...but I don't know for sure...I can ask around if you like.... I just don't know any farmers that don't have a second job, at least part of the year, even the ones with winter greenhouses... you definitely don't need to become rich, maybe just be able to get the basics ...but I don't know...

Maybe Leo's right too...did you start immediately planting seeds in your window boxes and looking up revolutionary ways to compost, or was it more hypothetical? wishing you the best, whatever you decide!