Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spiral

Rudeness In Texting.

6 posts in this topic

It can't just be me who get irritated when people are slow to respond, especially if you ask someone a question. Now I get it sometimes you don't know and might need some time to think about it or something. Even I recognise that I'm not the most important thing in their life and so yeah fine, perhaps the person does not want to text me right now.

Thing is though if I asked someone if the want to say partake in a celebration or event and they don't respond within a reasonable amount of time I might ask someone else and then the original person gets upset because I "changed my mind". 

Simple solution: Write " I'll get back to you shorty" or "I'll think about it" or something.

Also do you consider it rude to end conversation early with for instance "Alright, Good night". I say stuff like that all the time so just curious.

Edited by Spiral

1 hour ago, Spiral said:

It can't just be be who get irritated when people are slow to respond, especially if you ask someone a question. Now I get it sometimes you don't know and might need some time to think about it or something. Even I recognise that I'm not the most important thing in their life and so yeah fine, perhaps the person does not want to text me right now.

You are talking about texting to friends or co-workers/stranger etc?

@Spiral Could you revise the first sentence? It's not clear.

If someone is taking too long to respond, and you decide to invite someone else, let them know it was just a timing issue. Just vaguely telling them that you changed your mind seems rude. It also helps them know what's actually going on. Also, make sure not too get offended or reactive. It's all cool. 

Simple solution: Write " I'll get back to you shorty" or "I'll think about it" or something.

That'd be courteous of them, but also accept these things will most likely keep happening. Set your expectations accordingly.

Also do you consider it rude to end conversation early with for instance "Alright, Good night". I say stuff like that all the time so just curious.

Depends on the situation. In general there's nothing wrong I'd see with that. Just follow a rule of thumb: Text exchanges should be brief and positive, mostly for setting plans to get together, strictly professional communication/info exchange, or bantering with long time friends that you have rapport with and whom will not misconstrue your tone. Save crucial conversations for in person; serious talks are more likely to not work over text because most communication is non-verbal. You should be in person to vibe with each other. Same thing with professionals-- people are busy so keep it concise but friendly.

If you're trying to go for a friendly tone, maybe just use a well placed exclamation point to hint that you're enthusiastic and warm to the other person, but don't over-do it and look phony and disingenuous. 

Also, all the best people I've known with dating will tell you this: In general, don't flirt over text because you're more likely to screw things up.

Few caveats:

1) Things like online dating make it a bit of a necessity, but this is okay because that's mostly about the numbers and it's "safe." If you're trying new things out, maybe experiment with the people you're not that into so it's more low-risk. 

2) If you've known someone for a long time, it can be okay, but I've heard it's still best not to go overboard. I'm not an expert with LTRs. I tend to agree with Coach Corey Wayne when it comes to texting advice though.

21 hours ago, Dimickey said:

You are talking about texting to friends or co-workers/stranger etc?

@username

It's with a certain friend that is really slow to respond via text in general to everyone. I mean its just gets on my nerves because I wanted go to a masquerade and than she gets upset because I went with an other girl. For me it's does not really matter who I go with it, I was there to meet someone. Sure I get it, she really wanted to go with me and it's invited only and blah blah blah. 

As for the "good night"thing that's just something I do when I don't want to continue texting/talking with someone. I'll end the conversation prematurely (without leaving any lose ends of course).

I'll just call next time.

P.S I'm writing this on a IPhone so please let me know if I mess something up horribly again. 

Edited by Spiral

On 10/3/2017 at 5:08 AM, Spiral said:

To me, it is obvious that means, "I don't want to talk to you anymore today." I wouldn't consider it "rude," as it is technically polite, but it does hurt my feelings because it seems like talking to me was just some chore they finished up with and didn't really want to do in the first place. I am a sensitive person, though.

nothing is anything