MM1988

How Am I Not The Brain?

44 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Of course all human discourse is dualistic. Language nor the mind cannot be trusted when it comes to understanding the fundamental nature of nature.

The solution is very simple, yet infuriating and deeply unpalatable: stop talking & stop thinking.

Hmmmm, so a solo retreat without talk and thought would be nondual. And. . . using inherently dualistic language to describe my summer trip to Peru is also nondual - because the fundamental nature of nonduality cannot be separate. So, the nondual must be a "nothing" and "everything". Because as soon as I try to classify things as either "nondual" and "dual", I am  making "nondual" a something that is separate from a "dual" something.

Edited by Serotoninluv

3 hours ago, egoless said:

But during self-inquiry you try and ask yourself questions and look to experience those answers is not it so? So basically you are still trying to do something.

I've contemplated that same question and unsure of "the answer". Yet, my sense is that awareness of the present moment and simply being is "it". Using terms such as "self-inquiry" and "meditation" makes that "it" a something. A something is separate from other somethings. Yet, that "it" is not separate from anything.

Edited by Serotoninluv

8 hours ago, egoless said:

But during self-inquiry you try and ask yourself questions and look to experience those answers is not it so? So basically you are still trying to do something.

Just different angles on the same basic thing.

All techniques are just pointing you to look at what is ACTUAL.

Your top allegiance should be to what is ACTUAL, not the technique or teaching.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@egoless Verbalizing the question isn't that important. In self-inquiry the point is to be so present, so focused that you cut through the illusions and find the Self.

Being present has many different levels. Sitting down and not having any deliberate thoughts is not the same thing as deep, deep presence. Without lots of practice most presence is still adulterated by lots of monkey mind, maybe not enough to form coherent stories, but still enough to distract one from Truth.

Try going through the Enlightenment Exercises: 

This will give you better intuition on real presence.

To reminisce on the Matrix, try looking at a spoon. Are you present enough to truly notice that there is no spoon?

I've had a few glimpses of non-duality, but the vast majority of my perception of reality is still done through the lens of the story and models I've created of the worlds. I look at my bedroom floor and see a floor (that is just a label/story). Rarely am I conscious enough to see past that and notice the substance of reality for itself.

Edited by username