Forestluv

Conceptualizing Gut Microbiota

3 posts in this topic

Within our gut is a community of over 1,000 species of bacteria, yeast, fungi, virus etc. Collectively, they are referred to as "microbiota". It's not hard to imagine that these microbiota affect our gastrointestinal track. It makes sense, they would influence digestion and absorption. When out of balance, they could contribute to nausea and gastrointestinal illness. Here, the microbes are part of the entity we call the gut.

Other microbes can live in the brain. It's not hard to imagine that a microbe, such as Toxoplasma, in the brain could influence brain activity. It makes sense, that the microbe could secrete molecules that influence neuronal activity. Here, the microbes are part of the entity we call the brain.

Many microbes live in our gut, yet very few in the brain. Why?. . . Well, gut microbes need only adapt to live in a low pH environment. Yet, brain microbes need to cross a barrier (such as skin or gut tissue), enter the bloodstream, evade the immune system and cross the blood-brain barrier. Not an easy task.

Now, imagine gut microbes that use an alternative communication route to the brain. Perhaps secreting molecules that get routed to the brain through the nervous system. What if those microbe molecules could influence brain development and activity? Now imagine the communication both ways, the brain communicates to the gut microbes. Wouldn't we say those gut microbes are part of the entity we call the brain?

The stress-response of the CNS can alter the community composition of those 1,000 species of gut bacteria and alter gene expression of the microbes. Brain stress is communicated to gut microbes. Organisms that grow in a microbe-free environment develop brain abnormalities and behavioral changes - in particular anxiety responses. Gut microbes communicate to the brain.

Quite the juicy concept for me :)

@Serotoninluv for sho. Food is 99% of the whole puzzle, ime. It reminds me of how when I smile, I feel good, and when I feel good I smile. Eat good - happy, think happy - easy to pick good food. Eat healthy and stay focused on wanted vision and it's hard not to enjoy the shit out of this life. I hear people can transcend this all together. Eat anything and they remain connected.  That's interesting to me.  

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Serotoninluv I've been obsessed with the whole gut-brain connection...in relation to gut-dysbiosis/ neuro-transmitter gut thing for a long time....humans are starting to acknowledge this more and more...so many of us have leaky guts that additionally negatively impact our mental/emotional health as much as cultural programming etc.....Awesome post idea! .....anyway, one additional thing to consider is, that there is a third neuro-hub in the body....able to "think" and "communicate" in it's own special way......it's our hearts!