Costa7

A Presence Next To Me While Meditating?

5 posts in this topic

Hello. I've started meditating habitually a week ago.

I am meditating in the sun, on a block of flats with 4 floors. I entry there without anyone knowing (the people who live there) and I start to meditate. I prefer that place because it's outside, it's in the sun and nobody disturbs me.

When I meditate, I'm doing the mindfulness technique, but before it, it's the concentration. I integrate for 10 minutes. When I do so, i close my eyes. After like 5, 7 minutes, i feel like someone i staring at me. (To get to the roof there is only one ladder, and it's a bit noisy, so i would hear if anyone climbs it.) I get distracted by this "presence" and I force myself not to open eyes. After a few seconds, that look like infinity, i get afraid because that one 'presence' could hurt me and/or kill me. So I open my eyes, i like around, and there is nothing. It is exactly how it was before closing my eyes. Now i got distracted and i cannot go so deep with my meditation (as i could've gone else)

The first things that pops in my head is the boogey man, the one I raised with. Or some gispyes(the presence that I see it's more like a black shadow) 

What I think i know for sure it's the fact that is a creation of my mind. But what I don't know is how to tell my mind to stop going nuts or how to convince it that there is nothing there. Even when I say to myself "It is nothing out there, all is in your mind" I get so scared automatically. But when I fall to this distraction and open my eyes, everything seems right for a while.

I would appreciate very  much if you could tell me how to fix this and what is this. (Or if there is something to fix,...) 

Practice: I suggest you don't try to fix anything, or change anything. Just let it be. Allow yourself to feel everything as it is without trying to get away from it. All emotions, including fear, will surface up in meditation. Go through it.

Intellectual understanding: Probably that "presence" you're talking about is your projected anxiety and fear. This means that you're not allowing yourself to fully feel these emotions and so you are making it seem they're outside you. Therefore, you might feel that something is wrong or something's happening outside of you which is not supposed to.

My experience: I also got these feelings when I started meditation and while hanging out in the dark. As my practice evolved, these feelings are no longer there and when they are, I just let them be. I noticed that most of the feelings stemmed from horror movies and media I used to watch when I was a kid. And also projected fear and anxiety.

Sorry but if you've started meditating a week ago. You're not having paranormal experiences. You're trying to feel like something is happening because you've read about it somewhere, and you want your experience to feel strange or trippy so you feel like others have reported feeling. Either your trying to make something happen, or your just a little paranoid. No need to do anything, just carry on with the meditation and stop trying to make it into something more special. 

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

It's thought. Try not to DO anything. Let it be. Be present.

You can't outplay the mind by telling it what to do. Tye open eye meditation if the fear remains.

The art is to look without looking