PetarKa

Is Too Much Protein Bad?

7 posts in this topic

I've heard that if you are concerned about your health that too much protein can be bad for the kidneys -- they will be overworked because they clean out the amonia (waste) which is a byproduct of protein absorption. I've heard that the recomended amount of protein is 1gram per kilogram of bodyweight (if you are 70kg get 70g of protein daily). Above this and it's not good for your kidneys.

Is this true? Some people tell me this is a myth.

@PetarKa what i know is that the body is incapable of absorbing more than 30g of protein per day. 40g if you train REALLY HARD.

if you exceed that amount, i don't know if it's bad for your kidneys or if it will simply go out of your body when you pee. anyways, it's a waste of money.

unborn Truth

@ajasatya 30-40g? That sounds too low... Maybe I've just never heard of it. Most people usually recomend up to 100-150g per day. I was quite surprised when I read your post.

8 hours ago, ajasatya said:

@PetarKa what i know is that the body is incapable of absorbing more than 30g of protein per day. 40g if you train REALLY HARD.

if you exceed that amount, i don't know if it's bad for your kidneys or if it will simply go out of your body when you pee. anyways, it's a waste of money.

Do you have a source? Almost everywhere I read that we should eat about 1-1,5g of protein per kg body weight.

@PetarKa @Ferdi Le it's been too long since i practiced street workout. i cannot recall the sources. but i ingested 30g of whey protein per day and it felt very efficient.

unborn Truth

How much protein you need depends on your amount of lean body mass, energy requirements and your need to facilitate protein synthesis for muscle growth. In general, the recommended intake for people who do resistance training is somewhere around 0.7 g/lb - 1.0 g/lb of LBM, There is no significant benefit to consuming more than 0.8 though. 

You can definitely get away with less protein, if you compensate for it with other macros. It really depends on what conditions your body gets exposed to. Doing resistance training involves breaking down tissue and rebuilding it, which requires more protein than endurance activities. 

I myself weigh 78 kg and eat around 120-130 g of protein a day. However, I've also dropped it down to 90-100 while still maintaining training intensity but I definitely wasn't able to increase my performance or strength.

Is eating too much protein safe? If you stick to the 0.8 mark then you won't do yourself no harm, I believe. Although protein can't be stored in the body and any excess will be converted to glucose, eating too much of it will raise insulin and blood sugar levels.

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w

On 8/14/2017 at 3:56 AM, Shiva said:

Too much of anything is bad for you.

Besides Love :)

B R E A T H E