Afonso

Messy Thoughts

4 posts in this topic

Ugh, I'm going through a phase in my meditation habit where my thoughts are too messy.

They just float by and I can't get anything concrete about them. It's like they're not tangible anymore they're just clouds that can't stay longer than a couple of seconds.

I can't think straight because my thoughts escape from me.

What is this? Has anyone had such an experience?

1 hour ago, Afonso said:

my thoughts are too messy

Your thoughts have no roots, they have no home; they wander just like clouds. So you need not fight them, you need not be against them, you need not even try to stop thoughts.

This should become a deep understanding in you, because whenever a person becomes interested in meditation he starts trying to stop thinking. And if you try to stop thoughts they will never be stopped, because the very effort to stop is a thought, the very effort to meditate is a thought, the very effort to attain buddhahood is a thought. And how can you stop a thought by another thought? How can you stop mind by creating another mind? Then you will be clinging to the other. And this will go on and on, ad nauseam; then there is no end to it.

Don´t fight – because who will fight? Who are you? Just a thought, so don´t make yourself a battleground of one thought fighting another. Rather, be a witness, you just watch thoughts floating. They stop, but not by your stopping. They stop by your becoming more aware, not by any effort on your part to stop them.

Osho, Tantra: the Supreme Understanding, Talk #2 

@Afonso I'm going through the same phase right now. This too will pass :), just watch the toughts go by.

Meditate without expectations, without goals. Just sit

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus