Max_V

Question About Contemplation

8 posts in this topic

So yesterday I did my first contemplation session. The question I was asking myself was "What is fear?" 

I noticed during this session that I wanted to ask myself a lot of different questions "How does fear arise?", "What can you do to stop fear from ever entering your system?" , etc

Are there basic questions I should keep using for every topic, or is it not bad to ask any question I come up with. 

Thanks for helping everyone

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

I think the point of contemplation is to derive  profound  and deep answers to questions that you ask. Obviously, that requires concentrating on one question for an extended period of time. Also, it seems to me that it is more emotionally difficult to focus on one question compared to asking lots of different questions in a contemplation session. If you sit ask ten questions when contemplating assuposed to one, you will likely give superficial answers and rush through the questions which defeats the whole purpose. 

@Christian Alright, so when doing "What is fear?" It is best to focus on that one question for the entirety of the 15 min session?

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

Really beginner question here, but is it possible to contemplate what my life purpose is? I would spend the whole day if I have too, even the rest of the week.

The question is only a vehicle to the most intimate feeling of the thing you're contemplating.

So, when you're contemplating Who am I, you use that question to go to your most intimate sense of self, and then focus all your attention that way.

When you're contemplating What is fear, you use that to spark what's true of fear for you, in this moment.

When you contemplate What is something, you don't just repeat the question in your head. You use that question to drive you to a more intimate feeling of that thing, right here, right now.

@Max_V

When you are contemplating fear, you want to get to the essence of what fear is. That can require that you ask  certain underlying questions, but the purpose of these is to uncover certain parts of the answer to this main question of "what is fear"? 

You could ask: what is fear made of? What different types of fear exist? What is fear dependent upon? 

So in conclusion: you can ask underlying questions to the main question if it supports you in answering the main question. Not otherwise. 

@Christian Alright thanks, this will help me get started.

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

@Spiral Try buying a book like "The Big Leap" by Gay Hendricks.  In there he has many questions that you can contemplate that will definitely help you get a little closer to your life purpose.  Basically, I think that you can derive parts of your life purpose through contemplating but you will need some guidance in the form of specialized questions that you can find in books/ Leo's Life purpose course.

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<