Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Loreena

Is Intelligence And Psychopathy Correlated ?

17 posts in this topic

And if they are then does it mean that we need psychopaths in society ?

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

@Loreena

Psychopaths tend to be socially bold and highly confident, and possess superficial charm that they use to manipulate others. However, there is no evidence that they are more likely to be highly intelligent than the average person.

@Prabhaker @Principium Nexus

Psychopaths are incapable of feeling emotions. Even enlightened people are supposed to feel less emotional, almost free from emotions. So does this mean that an enlightened person could be a psychopath although in a positive way. Can there be a possibility of a high correlation between psychopaythy and enlightenment.  

I think that to be enlightened and freed from most cultural chains you have to be preceived as somewhat crazy or insane for a regular person. Their understanding of how things should be done, what goals they have and how they preceive others and themselves will most of the time be very different from an enlightened spiritual person.

But I don't think being enlightened and acting by reason and heart (so no cray cray) has something to do with psychopathy. Could you maybe give me an example? :)

From what I understand:

Psychopaths are goal oriented and enlightened folk are not bound by the need for goals

I don't think so. A lot of prisoners are psychopaths (more the antisocial type) but have below average IQ and education. A lot of CEOs and politicians (more the charming type) are also psychopaths but have probably way above average IQ.

Edited by Toby

7 hours ago, Loreena said:

Psychopaths are incapable of feeling emotions. Even enlightened people are supposed to feel less emotional, almost free from emotions.

A psychopath is incapable of feeling emotions due to less consciousness , enlightened person is free from emotions due to superconsciousness . enlightened people are love, but love is not an emotion , it is your nature. 

Enlightened people are more sensitive. If you are more sensitive, you will be detached; or, if you are detached, you will become more and more sensitive. Sensitivity is not attachment, sensitivity is awareness. Only an aware person can be sensitive. If you are not aware you will be insensitive. When you are unconscious you are totally insensitive – the more consciousness, the more sensitivity. A Buddha is totally sensitive, he has optimum sensitivity, because he will feel and he will be aware to his total capacity.

But when you are sensitive and aware you will not be attached. You will be detached, because the very phenomenon of awareness breaks the bridge, destroys the bridge, between you and things, between you and persons, between you and the world. Unconsciousness, unawareness, is the cause of attachment.

If you are alert, the bridge suddenly disappears. When you are alert there is nothing to relate you to the world. The world is there, you are there, but between the two the bridge has disappeared. The bridge is made of your unconsciousness. So don’t think and feel that you become attached because you are more sensitive. No. If you are more sensitive you will not be attached. Attachment is a very gross quality, it is not subtle.

For attachment you need not be aware and alert. There is no need. For attachment, awareness is not necessary; rather, awareness is the barrier. The more aware you become the less you will be attached, because the need for attachment disappears. Why do you want to be attached to someone? Because alone you feel you are not enough. You lack something. Something is incomplete in you. You are not a whole. You need someone to complete you. Hence, attachment. If you are aware, you are complete, you are a whole; the circle is now complete, nothing is lacking in you – you don’t need anyone. You, alone, feel a total independence, a feeling of wholeness.

That doesn’t mean that you will not love persons; rather, on the contrary, only you can love. A person who is dependent on you cannot love you: he will hate you. A person who needs you cannot love you. He will hate you because you become the bondage. He feels that without you he cannot live, without you he cannot be happy, so you are the cause of both his happiness and unhappiness. He cannot afford to lose you. This will give a feeling of imprisonment: he is imprisoned by you and he will resent it, he will fight against it. Persons hate and love together, but this love cannot be very deep. Only a person who is aware can love, because he doesn’t need you. But then love has a totally different dimension: it is not attachment, it is not dependence. He is not dependent on you and he will not make you dependent on him; he will remain a freedom and he will allow you to remain a freedom. 

Don’t misunderstand your sentimentality for sensitivity. Sentimentality is ordinary; sensitivity is extraordinary. It happens through effort. It is an achievement. You have to earn it. Sentimentality is not to be earned; you are born with it. 

Meditate, become more sensitive, and take it as a criterion that you will go on becoming more and more detached. If you feel that attachment is growing, then you are erring somewhere in your meditation.

Psychopaths might have low, average, or high IQ, but they ALL lack in emotional intelligence.

53 minutes ago, Toby said:

They are good at reading people and faking emotional intelligence though.

Yes, faking is a sign one lacks emotional intelligence. Emotionally intelligent people are authentic and genuine.

I was curious to know if I was a psycho or not.  Here's my results:

You Got 27% Psychopath

Score: 29

Result: You have only 27% chances of psychopath personality.

Psychopath test - are you a future ax murderer?  :P

As for intelligence, psychopaths are goal oriented but lack direction so even if they were intelligent most of them are not very effective.  They're big dopamine addicts, so their goals usually go as far as getting the obtained dopamine high.  The few who are successful run big companies, work as lawyers, teachers, politicians, doctors, psychotherapists and credit collectors. 
I don't think we really need them in society; they're destructive.  There was a time when we lived in little war mongering hunter-gatherer societies where psychopathy was probably important for survival.  But they're destructive and are not really needed anymore, except as maybe war fodder. 9_9

12 hours ago, Annetta said:

I was curious to know if I was a psycho or not.  Here's my results:

You Got 27% Psychopath

Score: 29

Result: You have only 27% chances of psychopath personality.

Psychopath test - are you a future ax murderer?  :P

As for intelligence, psychopaths are goal oriented but lack direction so even if they were intelligent most of them are not very effective.  They're big dopamine addicts, so their goals usually go as far as getting the obtained dopamine high.  The few who are successful run big companies, work as lawyers, teachers, politicians, doctors, psychotherapists and credit collectors. 
I don't think we really need them in society; they're destructive.  There was a time when we lived in little war mongering hunter-gatherer societies where psychopathy was probably important for survival.  But they're destructive and are not really needed anymore, except as maybe war fodder. 9_9

Great points 

Actually a psychopath is only a label. You could say they lack emotional intelligence but what if they pray to some higher purpose than the small events happening here on earth. Some people are driven by  some sense of cosmic faith like I saw in the movie Deja Vu. Psychopaths dont have to be emotionally unintelligent, but their actions can be preceived as cold or emotionless, because we cannot understand their worldview.

I'm not defending any psychopathic behaviour. Still be don't know much why we are, what this place is, if there is really any purpose, how the game should be played. Whether their behaviour is correct or not is subjective and if we don't try to understand their actions by placing us in their shoes emotional wise, then that wouldn't make us any better. 

But to be clear I'm trying to link enlightenment/spiritual actions and psychopatic behaviour (how most people would view this). 

What about the Aztecs who mass murdered many people as offerings? Or many other cultural religions? These things would be considered normal even though we view them as insane, emotionally detached actions.

Where is the correct balance between pursueing this spiritual connection that is thought to be preceived and "correct" acceptable human behaviour? Clearly this has been quite difficult in our past and still is. Would you really follow some devine voice or sign that tells you to do stuff or would you reject is as a reality? 

Nobody knows what to believe, we only feel what is good.

Goodbye My Lover: a psychopath's love song

"Cos I saw the end before we'd begun,

Yes I saw you were blinded and I knew I had won..." 

Edited by Natasha

Another good one.
Fuck 'm.
Send them off on an iceberg into the ocean.

"Every breath you take, every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take...I'll be watching you" :o