Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jone

Any Like Minded People Out There?

9 posts in this topic

I am taking one year off from work in order to expand my horizon. I live in Norway and I´m a 34 year old male. I have been to two Vipassana meditation retreats (Canada and Sweden) so I am familiar with "alternative" ways of self development. The Vipassana retreats were great and after leaving I had some great energy and motivation. Back in Norway and my jobs it did not take long until I went back to my old ways and the positive energy has now faded a bit.

I have taken some new steps and gotten 1 year unpaid leave from my jobs starting September. This means I have one year to maybe change my life forever, and settle somewhere else, or return to my jobs. Maybe I am a dreamer or nomad not meant to settle down (which is ok). I have lived in Australia twice, New Jersey and several places in Norway. I have had 4 relationships but never seem to settle down. Have done a lot of disciplined work meditating, visualizing++ and building myself up psychologically. I am now in a good place and ready for whatever.

I am not 100% what I would like to do or where to go. The first thing on my "to do" list is the Camino Santiago. It´s a 30 day hiking trip in the Spanish mountains and I think it will be great. Another thing I have been thinking about doing is working somewhere as a volunteer but not sure where. I am sure there are several out there that I can contact.

Is there anyone out there with some good advice or ideas? It would be very appreciated and nothing is really too far out. 

This is my first post. I have been following Leo for the last 3 years on my own. For me personal development has been both an external as well as internal struggle (probably like this for everyone). As I am constantly trying to change myself for the better I can see a lot of old family and friend´s staying at one place. This can create some lonely days and it is easy to just go back to old ways. I sometimes feel like a “crab in a bucket”. It would therefore be great to meet and talk to other, like minded people.

Jone from Norway

El Camino de Santiago is indeed a great way to start an alternative life path.  Another is the Banana Pancake Trail in SE Asia, where you are very likely to meet many like-minded souls.

Whichever path you choose, the worst would be to let time go by, and waste this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
Take care in your travels, brave pilgrim.

Thanks for the advice and best wishes! I have been thinking about Asia as well and  it´s definitely something I want to do.

Letting time go is exactly the way it has felt for the last year. I think getting out the door is often the hardest part and finally something I have done. Now, I think just follow my path and see where it takes me. 

Hello Jone.

I am sure you will get some great tips from here, and from others as well. But don't forget to trust your inner Being of truth. Let yourself be led. Personally, I would not plan a whole year itinerary. I would just settle for the first part and see what unravels from there. Part of the opening up is to not hang on to a plan.

There is nothing wrong in having a plan, but then let go of it. Don't worry about it, you know that you can follow a plan whenever you want to. But I believe it is best to not know exactly every step you take.

About like-minded people? Don't worry about that either. It is also good to not find any along the way, it will resolve more clearly that you find to be true in your life (like a travelling hermit). Besides, you can always hook into the Internet and contact us. Start a journal here and share with us your experiences and changes in yourself. ;)

Edited by Visitor

Many thanks for the advice (and great job on the model btw)!! I do believe in having a plan as I am at my best when I have a plan "locked" in. Atm it is the El camino de Santiago.

My aim for the post is to see if anyone has done something similar, and have some tips so maybe I can get some new ideas and inspiration. I can of course google, but I think people who follow this site and Leo´s ideas would be the closest to my own :)  

@Jone Yes and no to the like-minded. So far, I'm much more of a homesteader than a nomad (I like to grow food, etc)...but I am in Canada one of your adventure spots, and  I too like alternative development. I've had friends hike the Camino (it always seems to be life changing or illuminating)...and I honestly think the reason for that is a combination of 3 things: 1. belief in it, because it's worked for others 2. the magic of the geography 3. the mind set for the commitment/ undertaking.....have an amazing adventure, and keep in touch, I'd love to hear what insights you discover....the only suggestion I have is to also consider internal adventures that expand consciousness without going anywhere too....ultimate wishes!

I'm in a similar situation. :)

My partner and I will take a train across Siberia and then fly to New Zealand to hike.

Actually, I would appreciate some tips myself. I'd like to find some short term work in New Zealand and don't even know where to begin. What are some consciousness developing stuff to do in New Zealand anyway? Should I volunteer or get a paid job or both? So many questions. ?

There's going to be a blog and a vlog about the trip however - that's decided. :)

@Jone You've got a killer, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity here, so #1 thing is to make you don't squander it.

You need a clear plan. You need to get clear with yourself what the hell you want to get out of the next year.

I recommend starting it off with a 7 to 10 day solo retreat. Just sit there, detox from all the media addictions, and get in touch with what your highest self wants. Then after it's over, formulate your plan.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Very interesting topic. I've always wondered about "like-mindedness" and what it was. I just tried my best to self-improve and spiritually too. So, what I noticed is, the "like-minded" friends also are in similar situations. They could relate. If you share things with your friends, they will understand the places that you've been to (like different countries, even those countries that are different than where you grew up) and your experiences (maybe you've even had an 'enlightenment experience') without assumptions and projections. Yes, good friends are rare.