Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bronsoval

Radical Honesty

10 posts in this topic

I am interested in radical honesty and the results it has on the inner self.  Leo posted a video about the ways we lie. Is it possible to be 100% honest?  Social convention has us believing that lying is actually condusive to our well being.  We lie to guard our ego against emotional stress.  Radical honesty is counterintuitive.  It is emotionally difficult and could end relationships.  It will result in more meaningful relationships long term.  It takes the pressure off of the illusion that it is always necessary to "measure up" and alows you to truely be exactly who you are.  But is it really possible?  I have met people who claim to be radically honest.  They were just as shallow and misguided as the rest of us.  It almost seemed that they were putting on a show saying, "look how honest I am!"  Is it possible to be radically honest without being a dick about it?

I agree with many of the observations made by Bronsoval.  I'd like to hear Leo's experience with radical honesty as well.  +1 on this.

@Bronsoval I believe being radical honest is not working, you will be totally left alone, but does it matter? Sometime instead of saying my oppinion radically honest I say nothing which is not good either I am excited to see what Leo says. Thank you for this  question.

I am currently approaching dating in this manner. It has worked pretty well so far.

To start the practice of being total honest requires first to step back a little out of society. 

The video ` thirty ways society fucks you in the ass` is a good reminder.

Being honest requires knowledge and that requires first to skip all the bullshit everyone is surrounded by. And never forget that honesty does not mean you have to give your opinion all the time! Best way is to be silent.

The yoga-sutras by Patanjali is famous for demanding a rigid attitude towards honesty, with no room for fooling around. Even to kill a person and by doing so saving a thousand people is considered to be wrong and dishonest.

@Bronsoval Good question,

I'm kind of struggling with this as well..

Superficially it seems quite easy, but if you look at it nearly..

Already by an simple question like : What do you think about ?

I must admit, I'm not that honest o.O

I'm currently reading a book, Radically Honesty, by Brad Blanton. Almost half way trough it, and it explains how everyone lies and how it affects their life.

So far so good!!! The book teaches you how to start clean without any lies.

@Fer Lazo seems interessing, but I've found a few books which B. Blanton has written..

Is it : "radical honesty, how to transform your life by telling the truth" ?

Yeah, that's a good topic. There's much more to say about how we lie and how to be honest.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

+1 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.