OBEler

How To Tell Your Family About Enlightenment

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

I sometimes have the wish to tell my close family-members like my old parents about enlightenment. The problem is they are very close minded and not open to anything as far as I know but they are highly intellectual and philosophical.

I know you can question, if it is meaningful at all to talk about enlightenment, but this is another topic. For me it is interesting in the first place to see how they react and of course I would be happy if they at least think about enlightenment seriously for some seconds.

Now here comes my question: Do you know how I can introduce them at best to spiritual enlightenment/nonduality? Have some of you showed your friends/family members about enlightenment and how did they react?

Edited by OBEler

@OBEler I think it would be better to show them the fruits of your enlightenment work; your meditation, self-inquiry, etc. Otherwise, people tend to get emotional when you discuss with them such subjects. 

@Empty I know it is a hard topic. Showing them the fruits from meditation is nice but this has nothing to do with enlightenment

@Snick I think this is not so good instruction to enlightenment. Sounds very crazy without background on this topic to say to someone I do not exist.

The video looks stupid at least for someone who never heard about enlightenment before. Even for me its not very funny to watch and without content. But thanks for your reply

Lol, I've tried its not easy. Show them a video by a teacher that's very grounded and they can't just dismiss as new age/religious... eg Leo, Peter Ralston, Ken Wilber

@Joel3102thanks to your reply! How did you introduce it to them?What were they saying about this? 

I think if it comes in your own language they would be more open. Furthermore these people you named look all like monks and a monk is associated religion. Not a good method for introducing them to enlightenment I think

16 hours ago, OBEler said:

Do you know how I can introduce them at best to spiritual enlightenment/nonduality?

Don't introduce them to spiritual enlightenment/nonduality. Society / family wants ambitious people who are useful and who can feed their egos. Unless your way of life becomes a message , their is no point in introducing them verbally. Dropping your knowledge , ego is very arduous, needs patience.

The thing with humans is, most of the time it depends on the energy that you have with it as to how they will respond.

If there's any validation seeking (which be aware, with family members should actually be quite common), there is a higher chance they will blow it off.

Show in behavior would be the best by far (let them ask why you are so peaceful). Second, maybe question them if they think they are their thoughts and body and why? And casually present a few good arguments as to why that's maybe not so: the body changes, thoughts change, awareness seems impersonal and so universal and just see what that does

@Prabhaker As I said, I just want to see their reactions. I am very curious how their egos fight against this stuff, to see how their world view breaks apart. Another thing is, that it can be a big positive change in their life. I ask me how to do this at best and I ask for your experience.

If this action is meaningless to you, fine. I agree with you on a specific level. But please let us discuss this issue in another topic.