ViolinsSing

Can You Change Your Personality?

27 posts in this topic

On 4/23/2017 at 5:24 AM, My_Name_Is_Mud said:

Individuality is integral to the personality, though, in my definition.

Personality is a learned thing. The word personality comes from a Latin root that means “mask”—persona. In classical drama the actors used to wear masks to hide their real faces and to show some other face. From persona comes the word personality. It is a face that you wear, not your original face.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona

@Prabhaker What would be the purpose of the meth poster? Does not relate or pertain to her questions to the forum about altering one's personality. Strange response.

9 hours ago, TJM1959 said:

questions to the forum about altering one's personality

In the context of self-improvement and self-growth it was irrelevant but it was in response to Loreena's statement. Methamphetamine users can be social, however once the more severe effects of long term drug use occur the personality is altered.

On 4/22/2017 at 5:13 AM, ViolinsSing said:

I was wondering about something lately. In the context of self-improvement and self-growth, is it possible to change personality? When reading literature on how to grow as a person, or watching Leo's videos, it would seem so. Nevertheless, psychology mainstream stance is that overall, a person cannot change personality at a certain age (starting around 20). I don't mean just minor things, such as thinking more positively, being more aware etc. I mean great changes, such as neediness (feeling complete in relationships), having psychological handicaps such as ADD or borderline etc. Any thoughts or research on this topic?

Can you change your personality? No.

Are you going to find a person who likes you for who you are? Yes.

I hope this posts make you happy. :)

Read Benjamin Franklin's autobiography... That's the ultimate fastest guide.

"Becoming 'awake' involves seeing our own confusion more clearly"-Rumi

A large part of personality is based on ones belief system. The more beliefs that get changed, so too does the personality.

A person full of untruths is generally a fearful person. While a person full of truths is generally a loving person.

I read in "The 7 habits of highly effectively people" by Stephen Covey that you can change your personality by doing Character Personal Development. It is all about the self image. The book Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz also talks about this in a more practical way. Its all about the inner game.

"Becoming 'awake' involves seeing our own confusion more clearly"-Rumi