Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TeamBills

Listening To Something While Doing Do Nothing Technique

8 posts in this topic

I do my normal meditation for an hour a day and I never listen to anything, but I just watched the video on the due nothing technique and I was thinking of doing it while listening to something. He said the only way you can goof up the technique is if you try to trick your mind into doing something like trying to reach enlightment. So I guess Leo thinks I wouldn't be doing it wrong. What do you guys think? Do you recommend me listening to something while doing the do nothing technique. Do any of you guys listen to anything while doing it?

When I "do nothing', I am aware of whatever is going on around me.  So if birds are chirping, I listen to the birds.  If a plane flies overhead, I listen to the plane.  If I am "doing nothing" at a busy bus stop, I am aware of the noise of people and traffic.  If it is quiet enough, I listen to my breathing or softer still my heartbeat.  Really, it never is absolutely quiet at anytime.

As for adding more sound by playing something in the background...I don't see why not.  I also don't see any point in adding more sound either.

Edited by eputkonen
correction

Eric Putkonen - stopped blogging and now do videos on YouTube - http://bit.ly/AdvaitaChannel

I listening doing something?

I guess it is as much as observing is doing.

11 hours ago, eputkonen said:

When I "do nothing', I am aware of whatever is going on around me.  So if birds are chirping, I listen to the birds.  If a plane flies overhead, I listen to the plane.  If I am "doing nothing" at a busy bus stop, I am aware of the noise of people and traffic.  If it is quiet enough, I listen to my breathing or softer still my heartbeat. 

Then you aren't really "doing nothing" if you are listening and being aware...

12 hours ago, TeamBills said:

Do you recommend me listening to something while doing the do nothing technique. Do any of you guys listen to anything while doing it?

You can go into meditation just by sitting, but then be just sitting; do not do anything else.

For some beginners sitting silently doing nothing is very difficult. If you are told to become silent without making any effort you will find great difficulty. 

I listened to http://osho.radio.net/  .  Osho said that, " My words keep you awake, and just between the words I give you gaps. And those are the real, essential things. Waiting for another word, you have to listen to silence. "

5 hours ago, Memeito said:

Then you aren't really "doing nothing" if you are listening and being aware...

Right now, I am not trying to listen to the birds outside...and yet I hear them.  I have no choice...I can't not hear as long as my ears are functioning.  So listening might have been the wrong term and could cause confusion...I am hearing - not listening.

Doing something would be trying not to hear what the ears are hearing.  Doing something would be trying to not feel the air that may be moving over the skin and therefore sending the signals of this feeling to the brain.

When I say "doing nothing", I mean doing nothing...but you have no choice but to be aware of what your senses are sending as long as you are conscious.  This is not a doing...it is not a choice.  Trying not to be conscious or trying not to be aware would be a doing.

Edited by eputkonen

Eric Putkonen - stopped blogging and now do videos on YouTube - http://bit.ly/AdvaitaChannel

once you start chosing something to listen to you are doing something in my opinion. 

now if there is natural sounds in your environment that are not under your control then listening to these sounds is just a natural
occurrence

Stellars interact with Terrans from ÓB (Earth’s Low Orbit).!

@Memeito That is what I am starting to think with examining this.

Edited by TeamBills