Pox

Sleep schedule

9 posts in this topic

I’ve always had problems with trying to keep up a healthy sleep schedule, yesterday I slept at 4 am. Any advices on this would be appreciated :D

13 minutes ago, Pox said:

I’ve always had problems with trying to keep up a healthy sleep schedule, yesterday I slept at 4 am. Any advices on this would be appreciated :D

Have you ever heard of the "dolphin" chronotype before?

Personally, I am a "lion" and find it almost painfully difficult to stay up past 9 PM, but I consistently rise by 5 AM without an alarm.

Some folks operate better/differently at different hours of the day. Taking this "sleep quiz" is a decent starting point: https://sleepdoctor.com/sleep-quizzes/chronotype-quiz/

22 minutes ago, Jason Actualization said:

Have you ever heard of the "dolphin" chronotype before?

Personally, I am a "lion" and find it almost painfully difficult to stay up past 9 PM, but I consistently rise by 5 AM without an alarm.

Some folks operate better/differently at different hours of the day. Taking this "sleep quiz" is a decent starting point: https://sleepdoctor.com/sleep-quizzes/chronotype-quiz/

i took the test and got bear, probably not accurate cuz my sleep schedule is always shifting. And that's probably due to me not knowing how to answer those questions like for example i dont know how loud and often i snore. Im probably a dolphin then because around 12 pm is my ideal time to sleep. Also, why does this model also have personality traits attached to each chronotype?

Just now, Pox said:

Also, why does this model also have personality traits attached to each chronotype?

Good question, I personally don't pay any mind to that aspect of it.

Here are some things I do to maintain sleep regularity:

1. After sunset I wear blue light blocking glasses and a red headlamp (I turn off all artificial lights in my living space).

2. I don't set an alarm to go to bed (except perhaps a time or two per year to catch an early flight).

3. I take a warm/hot shower a couple hours before my usual bedtime.

4. I use a 100% cotton sleep mask, Mack's 33 NRR earplugs, a nasal dilator, and 3M micropore tape (to necessitate nasal breathing) while sleeping.

Sleep is such a superpower once you get things dialed man.

1 hour ago, Jason Actualization said:

Good question, I personally don't pay any mind to that aspect of it.

Here are some things I do to maintain sleep regularity:

1. After sunset I wear blue light blocking glasses and a red headlamp (I turn off all artificial lights in my living space).

2. I don't set an alarm to go to bed (except perhaps a time or two per year to catch an early flight).

3. I take a warm/hot shower a couple hours before my usual bedtime.

4. I use a 100% cotton sleep mask, Mack's 33 NRR earplugs, a nasal dilator, and 3M micropore tape (to necessitate nasal breathing) while sleeping.

Sleep is such a superpower once you get things dialed man.

any suppliments?

Could try some trauma release exercises (TRE)

Be-Do-Have

There is no failure, only feedback

I feel you. I enjoy staying up late but often need to fix my schedule by force.

I mainly just make a strict schedule for my next day and wake up early no matter how bad I slept. The first day is usually pretty shit, but the tiredness gets me to sleep earlier that night.

Sometimes I'm just too restless to sleep at 10 or 11 PM no matter how little I slept last nigh, so I might power that routine change phase with some melatonin.

If you want to optimize your biological wiring for a new sleeping routine, this video from Huberman might come in handy:

Posted (edited)

If you are able to sleep for 6 hours, meaning your nervous system is healthy with good parasympathetic activation, it doesn't really matter as much if you maintain a consistent schedule. Even with a fixed bedtime there are some who suffer from insomnia for various reasons but most of them involve nervous system overstimulation.

Edited by sholomar