FirstglimpseOMG

Modulations Of Consciousness; Definitions & Distinctions

11 posts in this topic

Hi all. So.. I have a basic understanding of regular waking, rem sleep which is the regular dream state, and deep sleep.

Add God or Unity consciousness as the ultimate state.

Now, my specific question, for anyone who knows or is familiar.. what about if you stand up too fast and pass out. Or like when you were a kid and hyper-ventilated on purpose until you went down unconscious for a minute or two? 

What is that? And what about when you are under anesthetic? (I believe this qualifies as deep sleep.)

I don't want your impressions and guesses, I can do that solo.. does anyone actually know?

It's not a big deal. Its a momentary state of unconsciousness that's all. It has got nothing to do with unity consciousness. 

Deep sleep and state under anaesthesia cannot be correlated to god consciousness. They're states of the brain- the sympathetic and the parasympathetic systems. These are brought by specific chemicals and hormones. 

However other states are more of the mind rather than the brain. 

Pardon me, I only know as much as you but I think these appear to be the distinctions as per me. 

Edited by Loreena

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

28 minutes ago, FirstglimpseOMG said:

Hi all. So.. I have a basic understanding of regular waking, rem sleep which is the regular dream state, and deep sleep.

Add God or Unity consciousness as the ultimate state.

Now, my specific question, for anyone who knows or is familiar.. what about if you stand up too fast and pass out. Or like when you were a kid and hyper-ventilated on purpose until you went down unconscious for a minute or two? 

What is that? And what about when you are under anesthetic? (I believe this qualifies as deep sleep.)

I don't want your impressions and guesses, I can do that solo.. does anyone actually know?

When I've had this happen to me after standing up, it just feels amazing, I often think at such moments whether it's an enlightenment experience beginning :D

I try to hold myself standing up and it just feels too good, but I slowly start falling down, at some point I wonder whether I'm dying even. 

Don't have answers for your mind!

🌟

🌟  The  🌟 Logos 🌟

🌟

34 minutes ago, Loreena said:

It's not a big deal. Its a momentary state of unconsciousness that's all. It has got nothing to do with unity consciousness. 

Deep sleep and state under anaesthesia cannot be correlated to god consciousness. They're states of the brain- the sympathetic and the parasympathetic systems. These are brought by specific chemicals and hormones. 

However other states are more of the mind rather than the brain. 

Pardon me, I only know as much as you but I think these appear to be the distinctions as per me. 

I dunno hun, I passed out from standing up too fast as a kid and now that I think about it, I was not unconscious - I watched a stagecoach made of fireworks sparks go wheeling by (before I woke up in tears with my bleeding mouth full of carpet lol). There was certainly a level of consciousness present.. that's why I ask now that I'm understanding that dream sleep is one thing, and deep sleep is wholly something else; a temporary return to the void for real (apparently we are aware in deep sleep, it's simply such a forgotten awareness that it takes some serious counter-intuitive non-duality work to approach this recognition and experience.) I think mostly I'm curious about whether there are instant rapid eye movements when we hyper-ventilate or oxygen-deprive.

23 minutes ago, Dodoster said:

When I've had this happen to me after standing up, it just feels amazing, I often think at such moments whether it's an enlightenment experience beginning :D

I try to hold myself standing up and it just feels too good, but I slowly start falling down, at some point I wonder whether I'm dying even. 

Don't have answers for your mind!

Hey bud, interesting eh? On-topic, I've noticed that if I hold a toke in too long, or don't draw in enough oxygen with the smoke, that during the head-rush, my sense of smell increases noticeably for those few seconds. Wonder if it's the other senses going out that make the olfactory efficiency seem enhanced, or something else is going on? Mostly wondering about R.E.M. during a pass-out though, hence the stagecoach made of sparks I dreamed becore coming to. Modulations, as Rupert Spira puts it. o.O

Edited by FirstglimpseOMG

I don't dare ask Deepak though, last I checked he was tallkng about 7 levels of consciousness, aargh!

15 minutes ago, FirstglimpseOMG said:

levels of consciousness

Indian psychology divides human consciousness into three stages: deep, dreamless sleep -- the deepest; then above it, dream sleep; and above it, on the surface, what we call the waking state. In the morning you get up from your bed; you enter the waking state. In the evening you go to your bed you enter dream sleep. And then deep in the night somewhere, dreams disappear and you fall down into the abyss of dreamless sleep -- that is known as SUSHUPTI.

This dreamless sleep is without mind, because there is no thought, no dream, no ripple; everything has ceased, mind has dissolved. You ARE -- without a mind. That's why the insistence -- "without mind AND alert." That's the only difference between samadhi and sushupti -- samadhi, the ultimate peak of ecstasy, and sushupti, the deepest center of dreamless sleep -- only one difference; otherwise, they are one. In sushupti there is no mind; in samadhi also there is no mind. In sushupti you are unconscious; in samadhi you are perfectly conscious. But the quality of consciousness is the same. In one there is darkness, in another there is light.

Through meditation one has to achieve a dreamless sleep like state with full alertness. 

1 hour ago, FirstglimpseOMG said:

I don't dare ask Deepak though, last I checked he was tallkng about 7 levels of consciousness, aargh!

Wow that's  too many though. Too many to handle:D

The big shift in consciousness occurs when we move from ordinary waking consciousness to witness consciousness.  From identifying with body and mind to becoming the witness of body and mind.

1 hour ago, Loreena said:

Wow that's  too many though. Too many to handle:D

My mind cannot handle even 1 level of consciousness xD

🌟

🌟  The  🌟 Logos 🌟

🌟

2 hours ago, Prabhaker said:

Indian psychology divides human consciousness into three stages: deep, dreamless sleep -- the deepest; then above it, dream sleep; and above it, on the surface, what we call the waking state. In the morning you get up from your bed; you enter the waking state. In the evening you go to your bed you enter dream sleep. And then deep in the night somewhere, dreams disappear and you fall down into the abyss of dreamless sleep -- that is known as SUSHUPTI.

This dreamless sleep is without mind, because there is no thought, no dream, no ripple; everything has ceased, mind has dissolved. You ARE -- without a mind. That's why the insistence -- "without mind AND alert." That's the only difference between samadhi and sushupti -- samadhi, the ultimate peak of ecstasy, and sushupti, the deepest center of dreamless sleep -- only one difference; otherwise, they are one. In sushupti there is no mind; in samadhi also there is no mind. In sushupti you are unconscious; in samadhi you are perfectly conscious. But the quality of consciousness is the same. In one there is darkness, in another there is light.

Through meditation one has to achieve a dreamless sleep like state with full alertness. 

Do you practice these 

Just now, Loreena said:

Do you practice these 

Deep dreamless sleep , dream sleep and waking state are natural, only state of meditation is your achievement. I have reached that state many times but I fall back unfortunately.