Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZenAlex

Low carb diet advice?

14 posts in this topic

Not specifically Ketogenic, but I am considering lower carbs significantly. I've been eating 100g of medjool dates and lots of rice etc for a while now.

I have a feeling my recent issues could be an issue with blood sugar, but even if not, lowering carbs is worth trying because it may make me feel better or worse and therefore it's worth experimenting.

I wanna try getting carbs down from around 350-400g a day, to 150-200g and see how I feel.

Anyone with experience care to share useful info?

I watched a German fitness YouTube once talk about this exact problem. He said that he feels a bit too lethargic on high carbs and likes to stay below 150g where he feels more clear and driven and that for other people it's different and they function great on high carbs. I haven't consciously experimented with it myself. 

I personally belief that sleep, emotional balance and resolve also play a key role for health and performance.

What are your recent issues if I may ask?

13 minutes ago, Jannes said:

I watched a German fitness YouTube once talk about this exact problem. He said that he feels a bit too lethargic on high carbs and likes to stay below 150g where he feels more clear and driven and that for other people it's different and they function great on high carbs. I haven't consciously experimented with it myself. 

I personally belief that sleep, emotional balance and resolve also play a key role for health and performance.

What are your recent issues if I may ask?

Go to the journals section, I have a diary on it.

Eat whole foods.

The devil is in the details.

1 hour ago, Schizophonia said:

Eat whole foods.

Thats always a good idea, but you can still eat low or high carb whole foods. 

2 hours ago, ZenAlex said:

Go to the journals section, I have a diary on it.

Its to much to read for me. Could you make a short summary?

41 minutes ago, Jannes said:

Thats always a good idea, but you can still eat low or high carb whole foods. 

Yes, I meant low carb whole foods :)
In other words, cold-pressed meat, nuts, vegetables and virgin oils here and there.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

Eat whole foods.

Agree and I suggest go to your family's doctor with your concerns gets some data of your pancreas, liver, stomach or just blood work to have a reference point.

Now, to get where you want to go with dietary goals, it's not gonna be easy and not gonna be fast. I found some substitutes for sugar, which is other intense flavors like licorice, diluted apple cider vinegar or home fermented kombucha, lemon water. Additioanlly some home cooked foods with spices, salads, smoothies etc. reduce the cravings.

Now about the nutritional spectrum, frequency of eating, fasting and other stuff you will have to find test and implement those practices on your own.

Some superfoods like neem, haritaki, turmeric and soaked nuts and honey have effect also. It is not simple thing to solve, but if you do, you are in a good place in the contemporary life we live in. You will save so much money and problems in the future.

I aspire to get there, but I need to do more research. Maybe in 5 years, but it's still so fucking worth it.

Edited by Applegarden8

12 minutes ago, Applegarden8 said:

Agree and I suggest go to your family's doctor with your concerns gets some data of your pancreas, liver, stomach or just blood work to have a reference point.

Now, to get where you want to go with dietary goals, it's not gonna be easy and not gonna be fast. I found some substitutes for sugar, which is other intense flavors like licorice, diluted apple cider vinegar or home fermented kombucha, lemon water. Additioanlly some home cooked foods with spices, salads, smoothies etc. reduce the cravings.

Now about the nutritional spectrum, frequency of eating, fasting and other stuff you will have to find test and implement those practices on your own.

Some superfoods like neem, haritaki, turmeric and soaked nuts and honey have effect also. It is not simple thing to solve, but if you do, you are in a good place in the contemporary life we live in. You will save so much money and problems in the future.

I aspire to get there, but I need to do more research. Maybe in 5 years, but it's still so fucking worth it.

Is there anything wrong with sugar? Especially if it's to replace it with monk fruit, sugar alcohol or weird stuff like that.

A priori he is not trying to lose weight, perhaps he is even below his ideal weight and that would explain his problems.
If he has been on a low-carb diet for a while as well, the mitochondria become fat-adapted.
There are plenty of possible explanations before thinking about a biopsy or things like that.

Just now, Schizophonia said:

Is there anything wrong with sugar? Especially if it's to replace it with monk fruit, sugar alcohol or weird stuff like that.

A priori he is not trying to lose weight, perhaps he is even below his ideal weight and that would explain his problems.
If he has been on a low-carb diet for a while as well, the mitochondria become fat-adapted.
There are plenty of possible explanations before thinking about a biopsy or things like that.

First, he should consult a doctor if he has an issue. Then if he tries refined sugar and he sees that it makes him feel bad (tired, inflamed, agitated, lethargic etc.) then yes, he might be taking too much of it, yes as opposed if he tried to not take refined carbs in his diet for a month and see how he feels, how much sleep he needs and maybe some data from blood work prior to that can cancel out if it's something else that is causing it other than sugar.

His family doctor will tell him what to test if needed.

I think ideal weight is not so universal. There are many skinny people who are considered below the mass/height ratio and they are fine. And besides, people in general eat too much for their activity in the world.

3 minutes ago, Applegarden8 said:

First, he should consult a doctor if he has an issue.

Yes.

3 minutes ago, Applegarden8 said:

Then if he tries refined sugar and he sees that it makes him feel bad (tired, inflamed, agitated, lethargic etc.).

The only problem with white sugar is that it lacks the nutrients to use it.

Posted (edited)

What's your fasting glucose and A1C Alex?

Might be a good idea to be clear on this before you start eliminating a major food groups 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, Michael569 said:

What's your fasting glucose and A1C Alex?

Might be a good idea to be clear on this before you start eliminating a major food groups 

Fasting glucose? Don't think I've ever taken this. My fasting blood sugar on the BGM seems in normal ranges. But it seems to be a bit low during walks which is why I think this diagnosis makes sense, although it may be b.s

My HBA1C is usually the low 30's when I've had it done but I didn't fast before the test. 

I will mention this to doctor.

I was consdiering the possibility of REACTIVE hypoglycemia, as the symptoms come on often during or as a result of exercise. 

Here is my diet plan for 200g carbs - Not what im eating now.

Breakfast

Oats 50g + 75g of avocado + 20g of flaxseeds w/ coconut milk

Tofu 200g + small amount of baked beans 

Lunch - Currently eating 100g of medjool dates daily, but that has 75g of carbs just in that, so wil cut that out from next week.

Salmon 170g

Banana, pinapple, strawberry, blueberry fruit salad

50g of cashews.

Dinner - (currently having 50-60g of brown basmati rice + 200g of baked beans with it, will cut this out).

250g of sweet potato

Chicken breast 

Gluten free gravy

Spinach/asparagus with some olive oil.

Chia pudding with cashew/coconut milk, maybe a small amount of chocolate milk for flavour.

Currently clocking in at around 2300-2500 cals depending on portion sizes. 200-210g carbs.

Edited by ZenAlex