What Am I

PSA: The Scary Reality of 5-MeO-DMT+Harmalas

9 posts in this topic

So I've seen this question asked a million times in various forms: "Can 5-MeO-DMT be used with MAOIs such as harmalas to enhance and extend the experience?" The questioner would usually be met with a bunch of responses stating that it's inherently dangerous and can cause medical emergency-level reactions. Usually the answers are kept vague, but sometimes they get more detailed and specific, naming serotonin syndrome as a potential result. The one thing missing in all my research was a firsthand description from somebody who'd actually experienced these negative and dangerous effects themselves. There was always reference a few obscure recorded deaths whenever the question came up, but never anything overly convincing or verifiable, which is why the question was kept in a gray zone in my mind where it may or may not be a myth of sorts. Well I'm here to affirm the warning and give that firsthand report I wish I'd had before being crazy enough to actually try this combo.

It's not an especially long story. I've used harmalas plenty of times with DMT, and I love the enhancements and added psychedelic flavor they provide. In my ignorance, stupidity, and lack of a convincing counterexample, I decided to give it a try using 30mg sublingual caapi harmalas (harmine+THH) followed ~20 minutes later by a relatively low dose of 2mg IM 5-MeO-DMT. Within a few minutes of the injection, I started to feel a panic that kept building and building. It wasn't the type of panic we're probably all familiar with which results from something like a bad trip though. This was a physiological panic where my body was giving strong signals that something was going terribly wrong. I felt an extreme form of hypertension throughout my whole body, and especially in my chest. It's hard to put words to the sensation, but it felt like a true risk of physical death as opposed to the ego death produced by psychedelics. I was indeed not even tripping very hard, but I was giving myself decent odds that I was about to actually lose consciousness and die. Thankfully I was able to hold out and it started receding after around 30-40 minutes. It was harrowing and possibly the closest I've ever been to a life threatening emergency.

Please let my example be a lesson to anyone who's considering actually trying the combo. The dangers it poses are the real deal. If my dose of 5meo had been any higher, I may not be here to type out this warning. And maybe I'd become just another statistic that people cite when the question gets asked.

Lol

Happy you got through it, sometimes you can learn from the wisdom of others and sometimes you have to learn it yourself, just don't die in the process!xD

God-Realize, this is First Business. Know that unless you live properly, this is not possible.

There is this body, you should know the requirements of your body. This is first duty. We have obligations towards others, loved ones, family, society, etc. Without material wealth we cannot do these things, for that a professional duty.

There is Mind; mind is wild. Its higher nature should be nurtured, then Mind becomes mature and conscious. When all Duties are continuously fulfilled, then life becomes steady. In this steady life God is available; via 5-MeO-DMT, ...                         Discipline this life & Realize Absolute Infinity

@What Am I that must be a lifetime lesson. Congratulations for overcome it without damaging yourself.

Posted (edited)

Combining 5-MeO with harmalas can cause internal bleeding and bruising.

It's very physically dangerous. Don't do it. This is not some online myth.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

“I tried the thing people told me would kill me” 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Leo Gura I read you used something to expand the duration of 5meo trips. What was that? I can't find the post

God-Realize, this is First Business. Know that unless you live properly, this is not possible.

There is this body, you should know the requirements of your body. This is first duty. We have obligations towards others, loved ones, family, society, etc. Without material wealth we cannot do these things, for that a professional duty.

There is Mind; mind is wild. Its higher nature should be nurtured, then Mind becomes mature and conscious. When all Duties are continuously fulfilled, then life becomes steady. In this steady life God is available; via 5-MeO-DMT, ...                         Discipline this life & Realize Absolute Infinity

Posted (edited)

It might be worth mentioning that this occurred years ago when I was more naive and when there just wasn't the same level of detailed information that's available now. The current version of myself with the resources I have may have made a different decision in that scenario.

Here's a link to the type of guide I wish I'd had: https://five-meo.education/risks-and-cautions/

If you scroll down on the page, there's both a downloadable and embedded copy of the excellent document "FIVE GUIDE" written by the credentialed and knowledgeable Benjamin Malcolm. Beyond detailing the contraindications, it's an amazing resource for 5-MeO-DMT information in general.

Edited by What Am I

4 hours ago, Thought Art said:

“I tried the thing people told me would kill me” 

I should have made this the thread title lol.

Posted (edited)

I realized this thread, acting as a warning based on firsthand experience, could also benefit from a scientific description of the dangers.

See below for an excerpt from the FIVE GUIDE, which I linked a few posts ago.

5-MeO-DMT and Serotonin Toxicity

Serotonin Toxicity is best understood as a type of poisoning or adverse effect of serotonergic drugs
involving excessive intrasynaptic serotonin that results in toxic levels of signaling via the 5HT2A receptor
[29]. It is often discussed as Serotonin Syndrome which is less accurate as it’s not a group of symptoms
that define a condition and it can occur along a spectrum . Therefore, substances that increase
intrasynaptic serotonin such as monoamine oxidase inhibitors (e.g., MAOIs), serotonin reuptake
inhibitors (SRIs e.g., SSRIs, SNRIs) as well as serotonin releasing agents (SRAs e.g., MDMA) are most
implicated in the development of Serotonin Toxicity [30]. However, the underlying mechanisms of each
substance and their abilities to act additively, synergistically, or diminutively in combination require
evaluation to understand if the combination is truly high risk for Serotonin Toxicity [9].

Relative to other tryptamine psychedelics, 5-MeO-DMT appears to be a stronger serotonin stimulating
substance and may even be able to activate 5HT receptors to a greater extent that serotonin itself,
whereas classic tryptamines (LSD, psilocybin, DMT) are only partially able to stimulate serotonin
receptors [4, 25]. It is also a full agonist at the 5HT1A receptor. This may explain why it appears
Serotonin Toxicity can occur with 5-MeO-DMT (particularly in combination with MAOIs) whereas it has
not been reported with LSD, psilocybin, or DMT. Other contributing aspects of 5-MeO-DMT’s
pharmacology to risk of Serotonin Toxicity could include its serotonin reuptake inhibition as well as the
presence of its active metabolite bufotenine (more probable with toad venom).

Edited by What Am I